1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ghosts on the tamarind tree

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ganges, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

I dont know whether I am boring you all by writing many threads in the snippets about my village life only. But dears, whenever I am remembering something from my younger days I want to share it with you.

As usual during summer hols we used to be free birds without much restrictions from our house. Me and my friends gang spent much of our time outside the house in the fields, coconut farms or lake side etc. We love to roam around in the thoppu ( Farms ) surrounded by mud walls on all sides with lots of coconut, mango, neem and tamarind trees. We are not supposed to enter into it since it was a private property. We used to eat all the tamarind and mango before it is fully ripened. It was fully shaded area so you feel cool and comfortable inside there. Most farm owners from the village were aware that during summer hols all the children will spoil their farms. On one such afternoon, we saw Somayajulu uncle coming from the distance towards the village. We were in his farm which is just at the back side of the Krishna temple, little away from the village. We were sure that he will enter into his farm to check whether there is any children inside. With no way to hide, we just jumped on the back side wall and hold some branches of the tamarind tree and pulled up our legs. ( We liked doing this hanging often even otherwise ). He came and saw nobody in the farm and started going back through the small wodden gate.

suddenly one of my friend felt pain on the hand and jumped down. He turned and started coming towards her. Unable to bear the hanging for long, we all jumped down and escaped through the back wall. He saw all of us and started shouting and rushed towards us. But with his big belly he found it very difficult to match with so many P T Ushas. At such situation we all know where to go. My mother allowed us to play all hols but I know she will never withstand any insulting behaviour to the elders. So as usual we went into Muthu's house through the back gate. Her father and mother both were very sweet to take all our mischiefs as child acts. In fact father was of the side that girls should be brought up like boys to face any situations. We went inside and told everything to the uncle and though he warned us promised to handle Somayajulu uncle if he comes with any complaint.

After some tension moments, when we thought that Somayajulu Uncle will not come anymore, we moved to the front room which was having a very big rose wood cot and a big pathaayam ( Cellar with Lid on wood for rice storing ). We all sat there drinking water and laughing about the incident. Suddenly we heard the voice " Narayana ! Narayana ! ". We understood who it was and without any other option jumped into the rice cellar and hold the big wooden lid on our hands to get little air into. Uncle went out side to greet him casually. They both came and sat on the cot in the front room. Somayajulu Uncle was breathing heavily and sounded very angry. After drinking some water from the brass pot which we left on the cot, he started like this.

" Narayana, I saw some Ghosts on the tamarind tree in my farm now ". Uncle asked innocently, " Ghosts ". Yes man, Ghosts and one among the ghosts was your daughter.
    You know what time it is ? 12 noon in the hot summer and the girls are allowed to roam freely in the farm. If something happened what will you do? They tonsured all my mango and tamarind tree do you know that. Try to bring her as a girl and dont allow her to play with other girls. All this time uncle was listening calmly and said, " I am sorry they caused trouble to you. I will definitely talk to them about this. But, Somayajulu, we also did the same type of mischiefs and more than this when we were young , right. So forgive them.
    Somayajulu uncle , expected some outburst from uncle left the house to complain in another house. We all came out of the Pathaayam fully soaked with sweating.

We expected a big scold from uncle, but uncle is of the type that he will not say anything harshly. He called all of us and told generally, " All of you heard what that man called you? As a father I became very proud that he called my daughter a Ghost. Thank you for that ". With that he went out. We felt very guilty and took the oath that we will never enter into Somayajulu's farm again !!!!!!

2. natpudan

natpudan Gold IL'ite

Ganga,

You are not boring us. All your village / childhood experiences are great. Keep writing.

See your friend's dad, he handled the situation very well & also made sure you understood the mistake.

That's the message parents of these days should learn in parenting.

My Bond series has a story on the Tamarind tree. Shall soon write the next episode.

3. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Nats !

thank you for the immediate fb dear. Yes. So one thing about such parenting is the child will never hide anything from its parents. That was how my friend felt towards her parents.

In which forum is your bond series. I want to go through that.

ganges

4. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Ganga

We never feel bored reading your experiences in the village. As Nats has mentioned your friend's uncle handled the situation well and you all also understood the mistake. We should know the way of handling the children. with love we can make them understand.

love
    viji

5. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Viji,

I am always happy to recieve your fb dear. Even though I didnt recive much so far, I am blessed with the fbs of two of my most dearest friends in Indus.

thanks for that friend.

ganges

6. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Dear Ganga aunty

Its our pleasure to read your snippets of childhood.Infact I am waiting for your adventorous snippets of childhood.
    Enjoyed ghost on the tamarind tree also.

Aunty your neighbour had the right atitude to deal with children.

We felt very guilty and took the oath that we will never enter into Somayajulu's farm again !!!!!!

So you spared all other farms from oath .........:rotfl

7. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

Dear Meenu

Yes dear! we feared to break the oath once it is taken. So were careful to take for only Somayajulu uncle. Farms were the places to sit comfortably , to have some natural snacks and above all , without any interference from the family. In summer that places were like resorts.
    Almost all the children in that village enjoyed this outing. Yes dear, my friends father was a different personality. You can go and tell him anything. My mother respected him very much, so I and my sis went to him a lot to get recomendation.

thanks for the fb dear.

ganges

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Ganga

I like to read your experiences . By the way who are your 2 dearest friends in Indus

love
    viji

9. veni_mohan75

veni_mohan75 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Ganga,

Very nice write up friend. And a very good title too, which brought me here. I thought it is something about the Ghosts, from the child hood, i like to here the ghost stories as well as the puraana swami kathai.

After reading the thread only, i understood who is the ghost :biglaugh:biglaugh

I like your friend's father who handled the situation in a great manner. This is how we have to bought up our kids.:thumbsup

In the final line while taking the oath, it is implied that you can roam in all the other farms other than Mr.Somayajulu's farm, is'nt it ???? That's an idea :):)

10. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear viji,

I said that I recd fbs for this posting from two of my best friends in indus dear. Before your FB there was only Nats fb I recd. So the two of my dearest friends in indus are ofcourse YOU and Nats ! Do you accept me dear.

ganges

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010