1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do you involve your kids in the house chores?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Sindhuja, Jul 15, 2007.

1. diana

diana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sindhuja,

It is very important to involve yuor child in house work. My 7 year old son and 3.5 yr old daughter help me with small small work at home. As i dont have help from my hubby, i take help from them.

The major reason is as my hubby was pampered and spoilt by my mil, i felt i shouldnt do such with my kids. I teach them more to be independent even at this very small age. One shoudlnt expect a 100% job done by kids, but yes a small help also a big thing.

We should not only take help from them but also encourage them by praising them when the work is done, even if it is not as per our expectation.

As my son is elder so i make him do more work then the girl, also i teach them not to distinguish between men work and women work. which is very imp:yes:

Diana

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Diana,
    I felt reading as if I am reading my own words. Not just my hubby but all the men folks of our family are pampered and have the notation that men should not do any household work.

But in my mom's family especially people of my father's family men folk help women a lot. In fact they even go to the extent of resting their wifes on sundays and take care of the entire household work right from coffee making in the morning up to the cleaning of the kitchen in the night. So I felt odd at ease when I got married.

Yes there should not be any discrimination between men work and women work. Because only when boys learn to do things by themselves they will be able to cope up when they have to stay alone either in India or abroad for studies or for job.

I was able to take help from my daughter at ease even at the age of two. But I am yet to get that from my son who is 2 year old now. But somehow I am managing to do it.

Yes it is always better to get help from kids when you dont get much help from hubby. My daughter helps me put the vessels back in their places and keeps the folded clothes in the appropriate shelves. Also she folds small clothes like Kerchiefs, towels, her inner wears. She also helps in getting me things from the fridge when I am busy cooking. She keeps her toys and her books neat and in the appropriate places. She also wipes the table clean with a dry cloth.:clap

I initially started getting help in this way: I had a chart and stars. I will stick stars for each and every help she does me. So when the stars reaches close to 12 stars, she will get a small gift. Either the pencil which she wanted or the glitter crayon box which she longed for long time.

Now she is close to 6 years and no stars or no gifts as she has understood that it is she who should be helping her mom. So now she is teaching her kid brother to do small chores to keep the glasses in its place and plates in its place. Infact she is a better teacher than me to teach her kid brother. And yes now she is doing that teaching with all great ease and playing along with him.

3. ranrags

ranrags New IL'ite

Well we've a 15month old daughter..I don't know about involving them in household chores..but when we ask her to get small things like her feeding bottles..or her tumblers..or anything that is scattered on the floor..she gets it..I think you have to involve them in whatever u do at home..so that they don't feel that they r being neglected..not only that but after they do and when u appreciate for what they did..they get this beautiful smile on their face..it's priceless!!

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

very nice topic and enjoyed everyones replies. I involve my son with loading and unloading diahwasher, washing clothes and stuff. next year we are thinking of making him do yard mowing and stuff. he is thirteen now.
    regards
    anandchitra

5. suminanda

suminanda New IL'ite

it is very important to involve children in household chores. not only girls, but boys too. in this ultra modern world things are different. they can't expect services of housemaids etc.

our children should know the basics of cooking,cleaning, washing etc
    to their benefit in future.

so dear parents ,if you have not started training them do it immediateli....ok:)

regards......

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Thank you, Diana, Rajmiarun, ranrags for your thoughts. Appreciate that.

7. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Thank you, Anandchithra and suminanda for your inputs.