Accountancy Courses

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by neha1, Sep 17, 2009.

1. tashu

tashu New IL'ite

hi,

I also have no idea of the scope of CPA in other countries
    but think that you might only reqiure updation as per that specific
    country
    i guess,after working as CPA you already have gained so much information
    you, can easily get a good job in the corporate world...

:):):)

Moderator Note: Tashu, welcome to Indusladies. I hope you are enjoying your participation here. Please read the Forum Etiquette to familiarise yourself with the guidelines. We are especially concerned with the use of chat-style abbreviations, like "u" and "vl" (I don't even know what that last one means). Please refrain from using this type of language. Read more about why here. I look forward to your cooperation in this matter.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Yeah, I guess it should not be hard to get jobs elsewhere in the world. However, CPA is available on in US.Hence, I do not think there is any update etc required for other countries. We may only have to leanr the 'country specific' rules there.
    Another issues for me is ,I do not have a work visa/EAD in US. Once I complete CPA,thisshould not give me issues. I am hoping that atleast I wil be considered for intern/volunteeer positions(non-paid). Let us see how it works out.

3. tashu

tashu New IL'ite

I too don't have a working visa as I am on h4 visa..
    still not loosing hope

4. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Great to see your attitude in this regard.... you have motivated me as well:)....
    I am sure you will even be eligible for H1b at the end of your course as even CPA/accounting degrees do fall into 'skilled category' or if you have EAD by then,it is fine. The only other option is intern positions to gain experience. I do observe that there are plenty of intern/volunteer jobs for CPA/accountants.

Good luck!!

5. goldenrose

goldenrose Senior IL'ite

Hi asuitablegirl,
    I have done my Master degree in commerce ( subjects - Income tax, cost, Management and corporate accounting) and I got 7 years experience in Indian Finance Industry ( specially in IT Industry, worked in AR, AP ( oracle 11i)and taxation)) . Now I m married got H4 visa :cry: sitting at home. I don’t know what to do now. I want to pursue some courses which should be useful to work in US and should cost less with short ( within 6 months- 1year) duration.

Is there any way to overcome this? .

Highly appreciated for your help.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I am not asuitablegirl; hope you do not mind me answering your question:)
    Look up for community colleges in your locality... they will have many finance related courses.. most are open for the fall semester now... if you hurry, you may get your seat for this fall!
    if you do not want to do semester courses then there are non-credit courses too in some colleges... these cost lesser than the credit courses.. in my local colleges the cost for these is like 200-300$ for a basic course(non credit)....
    good luck!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  7. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hello,

Neha already gave some good ideas. You should definitely look into those options. :thumbsup

My advice would be to ask yourself what are your career goals in US, and what type of skills or knowledge you are trying to gain by going back to school. You've posted this question in an accounting thread... are you interested in accounting or is it finance you are pursuing? What kind of courses will help you depends on the type of job you're trying to get after.

Another suggestion... look at the job boards on different websites and see their requirements. Do you notice any missing pieces? If so, you might want to consider brushing up in that area they look for.

I'll check back here again. Hope this info helps!

8. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

Hi ASG,

I am back with a question:)
    I did a lot of research on master's programs in accounting.
    I see that most colleges offer 'accountancy' and some offer 'accounting'. Are you (anyone else here) aware of the difference between the two?

9. goodfreind

goodfreind Senior IL'ite

Hi Neha

If you do accountacny with TAx.. you will have plenty of opprtunity part time/and your ocnveinettime etc and work many laces..
    Am suere You know better about TAx openings..also you can work for small busniess and you cna have your own TAx consultancy

I may file my tax if you open one
    How is it
    God bless us

10. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Hi Neha,

Accountancy is related to the actual profession as in being an accountant, could be the course deals in how to specialize in one area of accountancy for eg: tax, audit etc. while accounting is the actual method or process of doing the accounts as in preparation of Financial statements, General Ledger and as such.

Jaya

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010