1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Winter jackets cleaning?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Mar 22, 2010.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

How can I get heavy winter jackets,sweatshirts etc cleaned? Any ideas?

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Give it to dry cleaners. They do a great job.

Good day.:cheers

3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sunitha, I have used Dryel and found it quite effective - feels like dry cleaned may not be as good though. You may want to check the wash instruction on the jackets and try it out.

4. sulaksuresh

sulaksuresh New IL'ite

Sunitha

We give our jackets to 199 cleaners in Sancus or in Rt 23 ( somewhere near Meijer ) They do a good job for just $1.99...

Rgds
    Sulakshana

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Srama,Coffeelover and Sulakshana.

Srama,I have washed some jackets earlier(not heavy ones) in my washer and they turned out quite good.But did not want to try with the heavy ones.

Sulakshana,will try the ones you said.We have moved to Powell in November ,just wanted to let you know.

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sunitha, Dryel is basically a dry cleaning kit for home. So you basically put the dryle sheets and the coats in a big bag provided with the kit and just run it in the dryer - they come out smelling fresh. It also includes a little kit to clean any stains. I find it quite effective and it is not too expensive either 10 -15 range and you can do 2-3 loads easily.

7. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

I use the regular washer dryer cycle... Should try Dryel next time.. Where do you get them?

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

On cotton sweatshirts, if you are afraid of shrinkage you can do this:

Wash in washing machine as usual and then put in the dryer for say 5-10 mins to get out the wrinkles but they will still be damp. If you have a very heavy load then put in dryer balls or tennis balls or clean sneakers in the load when you run it. Take out the damp sweatshirts and hang over a rack to dry. If you have any marks from that you can use the wrinkle release spray. This will save you the money of dry cleaning.

Nylon jackets can go in the washer (check the washing instructions tag in each garment). If you have wool items, send them to the dry cleaner. Some wool now is washable but you will have to check the tags.