common Hindu beliefs and practices

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by sandu, Mar 18, 2009.

1. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Hi all.
    Hindu beliefs and customs are interesting and many of them have a hidden reason. (For that matter, the same argument applies to customs of other religions too). For a long time, I have been trying to gather some common beliefs and practices among Hindus. I am also trying to find the logic behind some of these observations. I am doing this task because I want to be more observant of certain practices, and of course, introduce my little daughter to the intricacies of our customs, and be armed with the knowledge to answer her queries later!

Let me kickstart this discussion with some examples.
    1. Do not let your hair loose while performing pooja (I know some people, esp. previous generations, never go about with their hair loose).
    Reason: not sure, but I think it is a bad omen to let the hair loose.
    2. While cooking rice, add a few lentils, if you dont cook lentils separately that day.
    Reason: Only for solemn occasions is plain rice served (to God).
    3. Do not comb your hair after sunset.
    4. While serving, bend your hand inwards and not outwards. (I hope you get what I mean).
    Reason: Only for solemn occasions is the hand bent outwards.
    5. Never serve rice first (on empty plate). If no sweet is present, serve something else (curry, for example?)
    Reason: same as above: solemn occasions
    6. Always draw double-lined kolams, except for solemn occasions.
    7. Do not buy oil, spicy items or (some more items fall into this category) as the first expense after getting your (monthly) salary.
    8. Do not buy oil, needle or (some more items fall into this category) after sunset. In fact, many (corner) shops do not sell them in the evening.
    9. While making murukku, seedai, etc., first make a small idol of Pillaiyar (similar to the turmeric idol made for Pongal), and of course, dont fry it!
    10. If you play with a cat, make sure its hair doesnt fall in your home or garden. Because, there is a saying that even gold is not enough substitute for the lost hair of the cat.

Please chip in with your ideas, and reasons behind, if possible.
    Thanks.
    Sandhya

IniyaaSri likes this.

2. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior IL'ite

Thank you so much for tips.

I would like to know when we are not supposed to throw wastage. My-in-laws donot throw on tuesday and friday. My hubby says we are not supposed to do in thurday also. Please suggest.

Also, Which days are important for taking headbath. We do on monday and friday. Is it correct.

Take care,
    Evergreen.

Sainath Maharaj Ki Jai.

3. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Hi Evergreen,
    Thanks for your feedback. As far as I know, we dont throw the garbage on Tuesdays and Fridays and on all days after sunset (approx. 5:30pm or 6pm, when you light the lamps). I haven't heard of not throwing on Thursday...

Head baths, well, it's auspicious to take on Fridays; some people do on Tuesdays too. But they dont advise head bath on Sunday as it is not good for the eyes (I mean the oil bath). But I dont follow this rule, because it's easy to take head bath in the weekend...

(BTW, these are Tamilian customs.)

Why dont you share some of your ideas too?
    Thanks.
    Sandhya

4. Rinky31

Rinky31 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sandu
    A very informative and interesting post, i m sure there are many other beliefs out there ,ladies pl ask yr elders and share them here .eagerly waiting for more.

5. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Here is some more.
    1. don't cut your nails on tuesday friday or after sunset or on the weekday you were born.
    2. Same with hair too and also father and sons and brothers should not have hair cut together.
    3. My dad is very picky about not wearing black bindis, and while performing puja he prefers ladies to wear kumkum powder not the bindi. He doesnot give valid reason why. I do it but its a different story with other ladies in the house like my mom, sils, cousins and aunts. My Dad mentions once and doesnot enforce it. I just follow blindly what ever he says.

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sandhya

wonderful thread..I learnt few of the ones from your post...

Here are the ones that I know...

After head bath ladies should immediately put kumkum on their foreheads..girls should always put bindi or kumkum on their foreheads and should never roam around without kumkum as girls are called gruha lakshmi it would bless the house with wealth and prosperity

Never give salt into someones hands..(they say some fights would start with that person.)

If we are eating in a group, ensure we dont get up immediately once we are done..we have to wait for the eldest in the group to complete eating and then get up

Do not borrow or give milk/curd on tuesdays / fridays specially evenings.(as milk and curd are treated as lakshmi i.e wealth)

Ensure lights are lit in the house after sunset atleast for few mins in all teh rooms. It would be good to light a lamp infront of god or atleast a dhoop stick in teh house. It is like welcoming goddess lakshmi

Never sit on pillows. It would increase the debts.

Do not put safety pins on to mangal sutra chain. they say its not good but no idea why

Also after visiting temple, go to home first..rather than any others home or shopping etc..they say that we bring those positive vibrations from temple to home..

While giving or receiving anything..dont do it right at the entrance/threshold...go out or come inside the house but do not do by standing at the entrance of the main door

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  7. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

I am curious and interested to know what could be the reasons. Please tell even if they are no more relevant to modern days.

I too heard this salt not to be given in hand sentiment.

Also, you should not sneeze while on the threshold. Get out or in immediately if you feel you will sneeze.

If someone is leaving the house you should not ask them where they are going and if you are leaving and someone suddenly sneezes you should wait a few minutes before you go.

When you go to the temple and done with darshan you should not rush back instead you need to sit there for few minutes before you start your journey back home.

As of now I can remember only these few.

8. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

here you go..i thought of some more...

when entering a temple always put your right leg first...(dont know my dad was very particular about this)

While eating food dont make noises of chewing

When woman walk there shouldnt be any sound or noise (like dhad dhad etc...) they say that a place where woman walks like a swan (i.e hamsa) goddess lakshmi resides

Never wear undergarments reversed way (to avoid washing :)

Never wear any clothes which are torn out or worn out

9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

- No mopping or brooming when someone steps out of home. (as it only happens on inauspicious occasions)

- No standing on entrance steps or halfway hiding the entrance, same with sitting. (its related to how hryranya kashipu was killed by Lakshmi narasimhar I guess)

- Similar to salt, chillies should not be given or taken by hand from someone. Same is with any sharp object like knife or scissors (they say relationships go strained if we do this, but the fact is any of the sharp objects might possibly hurt the other one which might unwantedly put them in a strained relationship)

- If you happen to sneeze when you are stepping out, you gotto either come inside home sit for a minute or 2 or drink a glass of water and go. (Its also considered as a abhshakun)

- When asking for slaked lime (Chunnambu) for betel leaves after sunsight, they use the name "Moonavadhu" (meaning third one). This is very specific to TamilNadu as others may have their own customs.

So far could remember only this much.

There's also an interesting thread here about this.

-Uma

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  10. gemini10

gemini10 New IL'ite

Sandhya, Thanks for this nice post.
    Srividhya, My mom used to tell me about this pillow thing but i totally forgot. I will take care henceforth.
    Some of them I was told by parents
    1. Don't fold your knees one side and sit (mutti podadhey solluva) - i guess this is something to do with health reasons
    2. Don't keep hands on your cheek (they ask, why has the ship drowned) - this has reason, it leads to constipation
    3. While taking holy water from gurukul in temple, fold your forefinger with nail tip held by thumb and keep the left hand below your right - donno the reason
    4. Don't light diya towards south or west direction - it brings bad omen into the house. East or North is the best
    5. While sleeping, you should keep your head on the north side - remember pillayar story.

I will post more as i remember