1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for useful gifts for parents visiting USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by khushipoise, Feb 27, 2010.

1. khushipoise

khushipoise Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    my parents are coming for the first time to the USA for my delivery, I'm quite excited ;)
    I needed suggestions from all of you as to how to make their experience memorable,
    like I wanted to know -
    what are some of the unique useful things you get in the USA that I can gift my mom - I don't neccesarily mean big expensive stuff- but somethings that might help her in the kitchen back in India, some personal beauty items,household items - in short anything that we might not easily find in India,and that will make her happy :)

similarly I would want to buy some things for dad - he loves organizing - so I'm sure there must be some cool office stuff that we get here ;)
    I would also like to send somthing for my sisters back home :)

can u suggest me some items that you guys have purchasedfor your parents and that they loved -
    rightnow I have thought of a few things - will share them with u
    handycam for dad
    iPod and hair straightner for my sis maybe

You could also suggest some medicines , creams, that are good here -eg icy hot gel - something that might help our parents.

If poss- pls also include the brand name, name of store or website you bought it from And price as well.
    since I'm pregnant it will be really helpful to me :)

Thanks a ton
    khushi

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Khushi

I have a few suggestions - my in-laws visited us from India a few months after my baby was born. I'm not sure whether these are things you get in India or not, but here are a few examples of some small, inexpensive items they really loved and appreciated:

1) The thing that made my MIL most happy was a photobook I made for her with pictures from their holiday with us. I ordered mine on Snapfish

Photo Books - Create a wide variety of photo books using your favorite photos from Snapfish

and it was really easy to make. In case you're not familiar with this concept, you just upload photographs to the site, choose cover designs and colours, and they mail you an album of sorts. What's really cool about it is the photos are not stuck in like a traditional album, but printed on the pages. My MIL is not really comfortable using a computer, so she finds it hard looking at or showing off pics of her grandkids when we email them to her. This photobook was small enough to fit in her handbag, and it was a good reminder for her of her holiday with us. Since you're pregnant, you can do all of this online and it's delivered to your mailbox - cheap, too.

2) I have a Post-It Note addiction (actually I'm a 3M junkie on the whole), and my FIL discovered my box full of post-it notes, flags, and other stationery delights. I just gave him whatever he wanted. Since you say your father likes office supplies, he might get a similar kick out of this kind of stuff. Here's a link to the 3M product page:

3M | Post-it | Products

3) Kitchen stuff

- Iowa fridge magnets (you can look online and find magnets for your state or city, a good souvenir of their visit)
    - my MIL really liked the stainless steel spoon rest I have, so I bought her one, as well as my silicone potholders/trivets, which she also got

Amazon.com: RSVP Stainless Steel Double Spoon Rest: Home & Garden

Amazon.com: Hotspot Silicone Pot Holders: BLUE, SET OF 2: Kitchen & Dining

- magnetised note pad for grocery lists that goes on the fridge (you can get these at the dollar store)

4) My MIL loves playing games, and we were housebound a lot, so we played lots of cards and boardgames. We bought her a deck of Uno cards to take with her and remind her of the good times. We hear she's inviting her sisters and other relatives/friends to her house now, and then making them play Uno with her ;) There are lots of other really good games here that you could buy, if they like that sort of thing.

You don't have to get all your shopping done before they come. I'm sure they'll see things they like, and tell you, once they're here, and then you can get the items then. For internet shopping, you can get very good deals online and a wide variety. Always Google for coupons (free shipping, 15% off, etc.). This is a good site for that

Coupon codes and discounts for 50,000 online stores! RetailMeNot.com

Enjoy your holiday with your folks, and good luck with the pregnancy!

sindmani likes this.
  3. khushipoise

Hi ansuya,
    thanks so much for your reply ;)
    really loved your creative ideas - I also personally love snaps and making somethng something memorable out of it :)
    I will def look at snapfish :)
    also liked the spoon rest , the fridge magnets -
    thanks for all the links :)
    any more suggestions from ILs ?
    we can all share our ideas and benefit from that - waiting for many more responses.
    Best,
    khushi

4. meenasenthil

meenasenthil New IL'ite

This is regarding photobook,

I ordered mine in winkflash - recently -
    Just one word to describe its "Superb"

So checkout that site too...

For my In Laws - they came here for my delivery, So I got them personalized photo of my son, their grand son from personalizationmall.com.

5. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Khushi, I'm glad you liked the ideas. I think Snapfish (or maybe some other online store/service) will also make fridge magnets out of photographs - your parents might love a picture of their new grandchild on a fridge magnet for them to take home. Enjoy your pregnancy!

6. khushipoise

Thanks so so much ansuya and meena :)
    your suggestions are great !
    Best
    khushi