1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My 8 1/2 month old baby does not like formula

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by jyoravi, May 12, 2008.

1. jyoravi

jyoravi New IL'ite

My 8 1/2 month old baby does not like formula.She likes breast milk and I am not sure whether she is getting enough for her or just getting satisfied with what she is getting.I am suffering from pain in the nipples from her birth till now.and now b'cause she is developing teeth.I keep on trying giving formula everyday but end up throughing away.

Please suggest me how to quit breast feeding and make her take formula.

2. jes

jes New IL'ite

Hi There,
    My baby too never took to formula.Even i tried it almost everyday but she never drank it...NOr she took to bottle drinking.I too hd pain when i breastfed her.I stopped breastfeeding when she ws 11 months old as advised by the doctor(she hd got stomach flu and had diaheria for five days doc said to stop giving her milk ) and started her on whole milk after the flu.She started drinking the milk as soon i stopped breastfeeding.Now my baby is 16 month old.Hope this helps.

3. shrivanchi

shrivanchi New IL'ite

hi,

i'm moving to plainsboro in near future. please may i know in which apartment you are living. how do you feel about the community.

thanks in advance.

warm wishes,
    shri vanchi

4. shrivanchi

shrivanchi New IL'ite

Hi j,

as your baby is already 81/2 months you can start feeding the bottled foods like gerber. you can get a wide variety and you can also start giving semi solids like cerelac and other solid foods gradually. Hope this wil help you.

take care.

warm wishes,
    Shri vanchi

5. priyalalwani

priyalalwani Senior IL'ite

Hi jyoravi,
    As your baby is now 81/2 months you can start giing solids. you can give the puree of carrot, beans, potatoes. just boil it and mash it with littlke salt. You can also give her cerelac, apple puree,upma, khichdi with green dal, tor dal some grated csarrot beans cook and mash. she ll surely love it.It is better to give fresh ones rather than canned foods.You can also give wheat dalia.

Love,
    Priya:idea

6. shinee

shinee New IL'ite

Hi, How do you mix formula, do u warm up water before mixing formula, if yes dont, feed the baby formula made with room temp water. Some babies like cold things, mine does. If tht also doesnt work try another type of bottle( the nuk nipple usually works). Give ur baby fatty foods like avacado, cheese whole milk plain yougurt with fruits, egg yolks, foods like rice, idli, dosa, chapati etc with ghee.
    Some babies show this disinterest in milk to let us know they need more solids. hope this works out. It worked for me!!
    Good Luck!!

1 person likes this.
  7. subashinib

subashinib Senior IL'ite

Hi.,By 8 mths babies shld eat mostly like wat we eat., of course without spices.Milk shuld b a Snack or Supplement.You pls start with solids as soon as possible.It s much needed for ur baby now.Make a table showing her eating plans for everyday.

Other frds gave u lot of choices here,pls go for it.Try one by one to check for allergic items.

You can also try to give Soya milk as well.The bottles play a crucial part.You need to find out which one suites ur baby as mentioned by Shinee.

Good luck to you....... S

8. jollyshilpy

jollyshilpy New IL'ite

Hi there Jyo

I am new to the board. Congratulations and well done for BFing for 8.5 months. Have you tried expressing the milk and giving it to her in a bottle?

Speak to your ped, but if I remember correclty at this age, you can give the LO yogurt and cheese as well.

HTH