Tofu - Recipes & Storing Tips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by jignasha, Nov 24, 2005.

1. jignasha

jignasha New IL'ite

Anybody tell me how to make a tofu recipe !!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Tofu

Hi,
    You have chosen a good ingredient in tofu to enrich your nutrition with proteins. I often use tofu in my indian preperations as it is a welcome addition to a vegetarian menu. I have no particular recipe to give you right now because I haven't got them written down. I shall try to post some soon.
    In the meantime, I can give you few tips to use the 'firm' tofu in various usual dishes we have. You can treat tofu similarly to paneer and make curries with it substituting tofu in place of your paneer. Also, I crumble tofu into all the dry vegetable preperations like in beans, carrots, cauliflower, cabbage and egg plant etc. You can either fry the crumbled tofu along with your vegetables and proceed as usual or even sprinkle finely crumble tofu on vegetables just like you would coconut scrapings.
    I also use them in my vegetable patties or cutlets.
    Tofu in itself is tasteless and also will not 'absorb' the taste of masalas like say paneer would. But most of our preperations are heavily spiced and it does blend in. It might take a little getting used to in the beginning! But that is a small price to pay when you think of the nutritional value it adds to the food and without any problems of cholestrol.
    Hope this posting helped you a bit:)

Also take a look at this tofu cutlets recipe.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Recipe with tofu

Hai,
    You can use tofu as paneer, but do not fry it. I made palak paneer and all other recipes using it. You can also use it in place of coconut. Even for morkuzhambu you can use it. Try and see.
    varloo

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hello Varloo,
    I do the same, ie, use Tofu instead of Paneer in recipes that use paneer. But 'morkozhambu' with tofu is new to me. A good idea. Shall try it the next time. Thanks:)

5. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Storing Tofu

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how to store Tofu...i.e., I prepare for 2 of us and when I use Tofu, the one full block of tofu is too much for the 2 of us........so how to store the tofu once we remove it from the original box....and for how many days..??

Thank you in advance.
    Jayana

6. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Jayana...

I store the left over tofu in a container with lid or a plastic box immersed in water with a little salt added to it. This way, the tofu stays for quite sometime. But I like to finish it off in about four or five days and not keep it longer. Hope this helps.

7. Shakthi

Shakthi Senior IL'ite

Tofu is to be stored in water

Yes, Jayana, you need to store Tofu immersed in water. Refrigerate it, so that it stay for 1 to 2 weeks.

Kamla is right. I too store it the same way. In fact, when you buy the Tofu packets, the manufacturers themselves have stored in water, of course with some food preservative added to it.

BTW, what are the dishes you gals make with Tofu? If you don't mind, can you both share it here?

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shakti...

I use Tofu quite a bit and incorporate it to my usual menu using my own fantasy! Hence I don't have any recipies as such to give you. I once posted a Tofu Cutlet recipe here and I shall give you the link to it. Apart from that, I just crumble tofu and sprinkle on the usual vegetable palyas or curries that I make and use it like you would the coconut scrapings, for example. Besides that, I also cube it or slice it and combine with beans, eggplant, cauliflower etc and cook it along with them. Also, I use tofu pieces like one would the paneer and make NIndian curries. HTH!
    Below is the link for the cutlet recipe.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=564&page=2&pp=10&highlight=tofu+burger

Another Tofu idea!:

Slice tofu into a half inch thick slices. Dip it into a mixture of flour and water. Now coat this moist tofu slices with a mixture of breadcrumbs, salt, pepper/chilli powder and sesame seeds and shallow fry in some olive oil or vegetable margarine until golden brown and serve as a side dish with your usual meal or as a snack with ketchup. This is liked by almost everyone, including the tiny tots:)

1 person likes this.
  9. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Tofu

Hi Shakthi,

I too do the same things what Kamla has mentioned....like substituting Tofu for paneer in India curries.......I guess Kamla has given pretty many choices....

Have fun...
    Jay

10. Padmaja

Padmaja New IL'ite

Eggless Tofu omlette

I make good Tofu scramble/omlette. To mashed tofu, add veggies (chopped really fine/shredded), turmeric, jeera, dhaniya, salt, chilli powder and cheddar cheese. Cheese is essential if you want a good omlette as it binds the whole thing together.
    Make on tawa with some oil. Cover it and cook

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2006