1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Parents Vegetarina- Kids what to do????

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by radsahana, Feb 18, 2010.

1. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi friends

We are vegetarian, and as of now my both kids DD 6 yrs, and DS 3 yrs, are vegetarian.

Ystdy one incident happened, in my DDs school. I normally give her lunch box, but once a week, i allow her to eat in school canteen. I get the menu list for whole month and i choose from that vegetarian, and pay the money. Even they will give the same menu to my DD.

Ystdy i ordered for her Pancake, which although she ate earlier in restaurant, ystdy she thought it is a non veg (since it is wrapped or something) and she threw that in garbage. Then they have to give her Peanut butter jeely bread, and sent a note home, and asking to pay the extra cost.

Matter here is now i am in dilemma, whether i should let kids eat non veg outside??? We eat egg though, like omlette only at home. But i am not very much keen to have them non veg.

Friends what is your feed back on this!!

2. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Wow,

Ur DD is so responsible I would say..

When she has learnt to stay veggie outside, I wonder what makes you ponder over this??

3. reach

reach New IL'ite

Hi,
    I can understand what you are going through. My family is vegetarian, but I used to eat eggs. My father always opposed it, but my mom used to support me. When father is not at home, she used to make egg curry/egg bhurjee for me at home. My sisters dont eat non-veg, but i do. Even after marriage, its a big no at my in-laws place, but DH and I eat eggs.
    You leave the choice to your kids. You give them the option, if they want to eat non-veg they will opt for it. Maybe, your DD is not interested in eating non-veg so she threw it. There are many who are not allowed to eat NV at home, but love NV. I have few more friends who eat NV on a regular basis, even though they are born pure vegetarians. This without the knowledge of their parents.
    If you give them the option now, it will not be a heartbreak for you in the later years, when they start eating NV w/o your consent.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Atleast when kids are this age (like yours and mine as well), it is easy for us parents to make a decision for them. So as a prent what you feel is more important. As long as they understand and respect that both of these are available and that they are just choices, it will be fine. And if you want to remain a vegetarian, there are more choices now than ever. I think your daughter seems to have understood that you are vegetarian and has shown a preference to remain the same. Right now, I don't see a reason why you should introduce non veg if you don't want to. I am sure at a later stage you might run in to the same issue and it could be an appropriate time to reevaluate your thoughts/feelings then.

5. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Radha;
    Please leave it for your daughter to decide. If she prefers vegetarian let her be, no need for introduce NV. You are lucky that your LO respects the choice you made:). Be flexible/open-minded. We are NV but I have not forced it to my LO. Its her choice/liking.
    -Nitha

6. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

At home we are vegetarians. I'm a hardcore lacto vegetarian (no eggs please). My husband and daughter eats eggs when they are outside of our home (in restaurant or hotel or friends/relatives homes). But these days my daughter (she's 6 now and in KG) has learned to reject when it comes to egg. She thought herself that egg is not considered as vegetarian as amma doesn't eat it I would touch it either.

At school when there's a party or special snack, she makes sure she ask the teacher or the parent whether egg is there in the cake/cookie or snack. The other day when she told me that she was not taking a jello snack as it had gelatin in it I was taken aback. Now I leave this to her though I wouldn't want her to eat egg or cheese with rennet.

Since you kids were taught to be vegetarians your daughter is sensible enough to differentiate and make a decision. Don't force your kid to eat meat just because everyone else does. In this vast America, there's a good set of people who have changed themselves from meat eaters to vegetarians and vegans. There's no shame to have your kids as vegetarians in this country.

-Uma

7. srvaug

srvaug Senior IL'ite

We are vegeterians too. I started eating eggs while I was pregnant. My kids eat eggs too at home.
    When my first daughter started daycare , we were in all white people area. There was no choice for me besides allowing her to eat chicken(I still don't allow beef, pork, ham etc). Now she is in 1st grade, takes a lunch box on the days they serve other than veg and chicken.
    I slowly started getting frozen chicken nuggets too. I toast them in the Toaster oven seperately and give her in special plates :thumbsup.
    Its really hard for kids to stay vegeterian in this country.

8. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Aruna, Anu, Srama, Uma, Nitha, Srvaug,

Hey thank you very much for clearing my doubts.

Even i think as of now since they are young, i may stick with vegetarian food. Maybe later on at appropriate time i give them choice if they want to eat NV.

Uma it is really amazing that ur DD refuses to eat jello snack.!!!

thanks very much once again :)

9. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I don't agree to this. I know lot and lot of my friend's kids (grownups) are pure vegetarian and stay in this country and canada. Its your will that takes you through not where you live.

-Uma

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

We're vegetarians... i do bake at home using eggs but no scrambled eggs. that's the exception. My son will be 5 soon and lunch is served at his kindergarden. but i check the menu and on those days when there's no vegetarian option i send him food. Now he knows to ask if there's any meat/fish/gelatine in what he is eating. we send him to birthday parties/play dates. i tell the mom and also he himself checks.

I do not agree that it's impossible to live as vegetarians in a country. as vegetarian adults, when we moved from India, have we not stuck to that? it's only what message we give the child. i tell my child that this is our practice. right now he practices it and i'll be happy if he continues to do so as an adult.

to tell you frankly my german friends here understand us being vegetarians and all that. only fellow indians make fun:( - oh why are you not giving eggs? there's no protein in vegetarian food etc., etc., indian vegetarian food is well-balanced... okay that's another topic...

personally i wouldn't cook non-veg separately for my child just because he/she must get 'used' to it. so it's upto you to decide what is important for you as a family.

Latha