1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Toronto Ladies - Introduce yourselves here!

Discussion in 'Indians in Toronto & vicinity' started by cheer, Mar 14, 2006.

1. indiraghsh

indiraghsh New IL'ite

Hi girls :wave,
    I am a bengali and will be recently moving to Canada from US (lived in US for about 2 years) with my family(me, hubby and 2 kids). My in-laws and parents are all in India, Kolkata. I am a bit worried regarding the settlement in Canada. We are moving to Toronto first and then can decide later on. My most concerns are for the job conditions in Canada. I have done MBA. I am an instructional Designer ( design online graduate and postgraduate courses). I had a good prestigious job in India (Delhi)but do not have work permit for US Jobs. So do not work at present. My 12 year-old daughter will be starting her 7th grade in Canada. How are the standards of education in Canada as compared to US?

Can you all send me some links that can help me for the followings in Toronto:
    1)reasonable accomodations/ housing
    2)location of indian stores
    3)job sites in toronto area
    4)job sites for IT jobs in Toronto
    5)sites that can be helpful to new immigrants like me

I will be eagerly waiting for your replies and helpful info.

my love to all of you and a very warm GOOD DAY!

best wishes,
    Indira:):thankyou2:

2. Hi Indira

Toronto is a nice place. It is very beautiful in summer and very cold in winter.
    Ther are reasonablel accomodations. you can rent a two bedroom apartment in the range of $1100 to $1200. Depending on the location there are cheaper say 900 as well. this includes, heating electricity and sometimes cable as well. You will have to pay for phone, internet and also car parking.
    Indian stores are spread throughout Toronto city and Suburbs. You can go to any srilankan stores as well where you can buy your rice dhals some of indian veges. Toronto's Gerrard street is famous indian bazaar. There are exclusive bangladesh, pakistan stores where again you can buy rice dals veges fish etc.
    Job sites are workopolis, monster and canadian job bank
    There are number of temples where people socialize and there is vedanta society of toronto where there is RK jayanti, Sarada jayanti, and durga pooja celebration. Can see and meet lot of bengalis there. Vedanta society also have bhajan classes for kids during weekends you can be close to your roots

I hope it was helpful

Thanks
    Ranjani

3. Hello ladies

:bowdownAny one from Scarborough Area. Near bridlewood mall. I live close to the mall. I would like be friends :hiya

thnks
    rv:)

4. beautifulworld

beautifulworld New IL'ite

hi everybody , I am from mississauga canada , I am looking for good and cheap indian clothes ....if anybody knows where to buy do give some ideas ...bye

5. swaram2576

swaram2576 Bronze IL'ite

HI All,

I am Deivanai from Toronto, i am new to IL. :hiya

Could anyone help me find a good conservative swimwear in Toronto? .

Thanks,
    Devi

6. pritinew

pritinew New IL'ite

Hi Everyone

My name is Priti n i am migrating to Canada along with my husband (married for 2 yrs) in April 2010. We r done with our immigration formaliies. We r currently in Chennai, India and r counting our days here :) we r very excited at the same time bit nervous for our move. we will be initially landing in Toronto.

We do not have many friends in Canada so thought this site will help me in making friends in my new journey of life.

I have a marketng experience an am looking at jobs relating to PR and Customer relationhip.

with regards to my interests,
    i love reading, travelling (although havent got much opportunity to d so n the past but would love to persue this hobby more), making new friends and trying new dishes (my husband is an expert in that:)).

Would love to meet more friends through this site n together embark my journey in Canada.

7. Misha_K

Misha_K New IL'ite

Hi Preeti

Welcome to Canada.This is a good platform
    to meet new friends and share information.

April is a good month to land...stats to get nice and warm.

It would be nice to chat with you sometime.

All the best
    Misha

8. vvanand

vvanand Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

I am vijayalakshmi. We got our PR recently and are planning to come to Toronto in July. I have a 5yr old daughter.

We are very excited and at the same time concerned about our move. Since we both (me and DH) have to look for jobs only after landing. I am a Lead Technical writer and my hubby is into the hotel business. Hope that everything goes well and we are able to settle comfortably in our dreamland.

I would like you friends to give me some insight into life in Toronto. Please also share your past experiences, what to expect and what not to expect and such things for a newcomer like me.

I have been going through lot of info on the net, but still when guidance comes from you people it will be very helpful.

Thanks,
    Viji

9. tammyranga

tammyranga New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

My name is thamayanthi from Coimbatore Now in Toronto (Markham).
    I have one son 14yrs. I have been for 9 years. I am working as a AP/AR.

Nice to see you ladies.

Thanks
    Thamayanthi

10. pritinew

pritinew New IL'ite

Hi Misha,

Thanks a ton for your reply. so which part of Toronto are you in at the moment? I am still deciding on the housing front and the location which is most suitable.

keep in touch.

:)