1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

What Is The Connection Between The Watch And The Munch

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Aug 11, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Why do we feel like munching when watching a movie, or looking at some food channels that they are preparing:

The urge to eat that which is made in the screen is something most long for, and in the process run inside and take something that they can put their hand on to satiate the urge with whatever comes in handy.

May friends I have noticed want to eat something after reading a cookery book, and I have a son who loves watching all the travel and living and eat his food, he has a mental connection to the visual and the stomach. When you read a blog all about food the way it is being prepared like the puchka the pani puri of south, as to what mixture goes in and how it is being added with spices and to give it the right aroma and then getting it filled into crispy tiny puris and dipped into the tangy water, now this description makes one drool and they would run to go get some munchies..

It is a Sunday then we have to have a dvd ready with the latest movie or something old that we have always enjoyed watching, as we already know the scene it helps one of us to run inside and get something hot and crispy. A few years back when my little girls were really little they used to get a kilo or two of large potatoes and all peeled and cut into finger chips sizes and put in hot water and half cooked then I used to dry it up on a towel and that would be left ready for the film to start now after just half way through signals would start and I will have to go inside fry them two handful at a time and sprinkle with salt and pepper and give them with some tomato sauce. They would sometime get the lays and popcorn which is a favourite most times. Now can any one please tell me what connection does this have with visual and hunger…regards sunkan

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007

2. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

HI Sunkan,
    u hit nail on the head...watching movies,cricket match etc. has become synonymous with popcorn..colas.icecreams
    When we go to multiplex we find that everybody is really starving or so :mrgreen: whatsay?

3. meeta012

meeta012 Junior IL'ite

hmm...sunkan's post took me back 20 years..when TV was relatively unknown in Mysore....switching on the TV in the evening to see the "most famous" krishi darshan(lol)on wednesdays....becoz the india famous chitrahar would follow soon after...my ajji would actually bring out the stove into the living room...the dough would be ready by seven..there would be two-three rolling pins and chaklas ready...with the big thalis out.
    promptly when krishi darshan began..ajji would place a wide kadhai with oil on the stove...and while the oil heated up....the elder aunts would start rolling the dough and shape them...or fill the dough into moulds....soon there would be plates sizzling with kodbale...or chakli..or thenkuzhal...... and the songs of chitrahaar.....
    if time was the constraint: fry flat rice with peanuts and add salt.....hmmmm
    what use popcorn ...maggi...lays..finger chips?
    Regards,
    Meeta

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hey arch,
    then lets get into business we will open stall in front of multiplex and start frying hot finger chips for the crowd with samosas and what ever is your choice..ahhahaha sunkan

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear meet,
    yellello ajji bekalve
    yellello ajji irabeku
    bisi bisi chakli
    fry maadi kodalu
    yellello ajji bekalve...tune it with yellelo sangeethave from malayamarutha.
    kudos to your ajji for leaving a wonderful memory as crunchy munchy as this, even chitrahaar becomes a bahana [excuse] nice write up regards sunkan

6. sandhya19

sandhya19 New IL'ite

dear sunkan,
    your description of pani puris and hot chips really watered my mouth and tempted me to have atleast a cup of tea immediately.i too love munching while reading a book,why?i think that gives more satisfaction.

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sandhya, i can only laugh dear this is a spreading infection i think all of us have while reading my husband had the habit of lying down straight with all snacks stacked up and the reading will go on and on his favourite was also potato chips, so i can reckon with all those habits as i have helped them indulge..sunkan

8. arch174

arch174 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunkan,
    no jokes..people ask ..how was movie ..theatre gud etc.
    next question how was the popcorn..this is grrowm up person..what????