1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Cost for sponsoring GC?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by jyosat, Jan 30, 2010.

1. jyosat

jyosat New IL'ite

Hi All -

I am a US citizen and want to sponsor GC for my inlaws/parents. How much does this cost per person and how long is it taking now? Is there a possibility of rejection for this for any reasons? Also, is it possible to sponsor GC anyone in the family or just parents? Please clarify if anyone knows or have the experience.

Thanks in advance!

2. jyosat

jyosat New IL'ite

I am replying to my own post :), in view of others who might be looking for this kind of info.

The cost for sponsoring citizenship is around $1000/person and it takes an year to be processed. This applies to parents. If you want to sponsor for anyone else, its a longer process and more expensive. It costs around $5000 and takes 5-6 yrs. This may not be the exact figures but just to give you an idea. I got this info from one my colleagues who did it for his mom.

:thumbsup

3. SreeSri

SreeSri Gold IL'ite

I am replying for your OWN post :)

The cost for applying the GC for parents is..

the cost of
    1) Form I-130 filing
    2) Form I-485 filing
    at a very high level
    Please check the current fees for the above two at : http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/FinalUSCISFeeSchedule052907.pdf

But we may optionally file for Form I-131 (which is free if filed along with the above two forms)
    Also the time taken to the parents GC total process is certainly not one year, but very less, I could say its anywhere from 90-180 days :)
    (BTW, I recently filed for my mom :) - still the petition is pending :) )