1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

learning to read?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by tikka, Dec 14, 2009.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Thanks Krithi. I've been looking for something like this for a while now.

V.

3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

I was googling a lot on this, Krithika, you saved my time:thumbsup
    :thankyou2:

4. nemo

nemo Senior IL'ite

hi,

i'm was also thinking the same for my 6yr old kid. She likes stories but won't read herself. SOme times I will read it out for her, but after sometime i'll get bored. :confused2:

5. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi Tikka
    Thank you so much!This seems to be a very interesting site.I'm a voracious reader and I'm very keen that my daughter also discovers what a joy it is.I find all your posts very informative.Thanks

6. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi tiika

very interesting and informative site,

thanky u so much

7. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Great info. Thanks Tikka

8. dblakshmi

dblakshmi Junior IL'ite

Hi Tikka,
    I want my 4 year old to start recognising the alphabets and sound out. He started with phonetics in India. he was very good and he did frame 3 letter words. We moved to US. Here he does straight printed letters. he reads c as i as it curves in cursive(he had learnt all cursive letters). He loves to read books. Aadesh,my elder one reads in the evening or at night. So Abhyu(younger one) pretends to read, he keeps turning pages. Every time when i read him books, he wants to hold and turn pages. He wants to know where i am. he wants to point what i am reading. he feels bad if he points out wrong word. I just want him learn to read fast.
    regads
    Lakshmi

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Lakshmi, when we started showing letters to the kid, we did show him in different fonts. This is the problem of learning to read in the computer age, I think. My son is not reading yet, (it looked like he will start anytime when I posted this, but clearly not for a while now) But he seems very interested in putting together tiles from scrabble and making up words. We have a 5 series book on a-e-i-o-u phonetics that has simple words, so at times we get him to form words that he sees with the tiles. It works sometimes, but most of the times it does not. It does frustrate them, does it not? I am laying off it for a while. We are doing audio books from the library now. He flips the pages and pretends to read. I am ok with that this week, maybe the next week I will try something else.

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

So K is doing that too. It always puzzled me that A is able to make simple words from the magnetic letters but cant read the same word easily when he sees it in a book. Somehow I thought it would be the other way round - read before write. I guess this is the learning to read sequence then.

V.