1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

1st Birthday Party - Goodie bags, Party food and Games ideas needed - help me plz

Discussion in 'Birthday Party Planning' started by Lostinva, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Lostinva

Lostinva New IL'ite

Hi All:hiya,
    Iam new to USA and my son is turning 1 yr old soon and we are planning for a small party for his birthday. We will be calling 6 families with kids (their age - a 7 month old girl,2 yrs old girl,couple of 6-7 yrs old boys and couple of 10yrs old boys.)I want to know what should we put in the goody bag for all of them.i have no idea what people put.
    Also i plan to cook as many items as possible and order some from outside b'coz tat will be most economical. Planning to make rajma, fried rice,boondi raitha at home and i am running short fo ideas for other things any ideas or suggestions are most welcome
    Since everybody is in a diff age group i don't know what games should i have.I am confused i know i have asked too many questions. Plz help me guys.Have only one more week to go.
    Help me guys Thanx in advance

2. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi lostinva

i belive since you have few kids, it is better you can give some customzied gift suitable to their ages.

1. some coloring books for 4-5 yr olds
    2. some toy for younger kids

For Food.

1. French Fries, (kids will love)
    2. muffins
    3. small samosas

Game: recently my cousin did this game

Pinning tale to mickey. Have a big poster of Mickey.
    have some tails depending on no. of childrens (Tails u can make at home with craft paper)
    with their eyes closed, you can ask everyone to pin it correctly on the mickey.

Or musical chairs, if you have enough space.

Drop the ball in the bucket

hope this info is useful

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  3. Lostinva

Lostinva New IL'ite

Hi Radhika,
    Thanx a lot for your ideas esp the french fries:thumbsup.I didnot know tat and ofcourse yes giving ideas for the games too.i was not sure since there r only 4-5 kids who can play i was not sure abt the games part.Ofcourse i will be calling their parents also.
    I will ofcourse post it what i did once i finalise my plans for the benefit of everyone.More ideas are welcome since it will help lot of people like me

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  4. Lostinva

Lostinva New IL'ite

Nobody else has any ideas ??? :-(

5. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

For my son's 1st birthday party last year I had a bunch of coloring books and crayons distributed to kids between the ages of 3 and 10. Then I told them the best colored pic will get a prize. that kept them busy for an hour while the parents got to enjoy the party. I also had the pin the tail kind of game. I put the oldest kid at the party (10 and 12) in charge of the pin the tail game so I could socialize in the mean time.

Go to party city and check out their clearance section / party favors aisle for ideas on goody bags. Generally I have seen people put candy and some inexpensive toy in them. I like to keep my goody bad budget around 3-4 dollars each and spend accordingly at party city. or you can get a nice book / puzzle/small toy from walmart/target.

with rajma, raita, I would suggest a plain rice and an aloo sabzi dish. also you can get the mini bagel pizza from costco .. kids love those! another hit item always is pav-bhaji. you could also do a sprouted mix bean salad, it is filling and healthy as well as a pasta dish such as macaroni and cheese. so for kids, you could have pizza, french fries, pasta, and for adults it would be aloo sabzi, rajma raita sprout salad and rice. you can also get some naans from the indian store or traders joe.

for the sprout salad, soak different beans such as chick peas, black chickpeas, mung beans for a day and then sprout them. blanch the sprouts in some hot salted water for 5 minutes, drain well and mix with chopped onion, tomato, cucumber, carrot and finely shredded cabbage. season with salt, black pepper and lemon juice. decorate with chopped coriander.

for pav bhaji, get a bag of the frozen mix vegetables. pressure cook it along with some potatoes and then mash it up. saute some finely chopped onion till almost brown, add tomatoes, pav bhaji masala and the mixed veggies. season to taste with salt and lemon juice and the pav ki bhaji is ready. for pav I get a bag of the dinner rolls from costco (it's a nice small size), smear with oil and broil a big bunch in the oven rather than cooking it on the stove. if you want to do it fancy, then get the frozen mix veggies, frozen cauliflower, frozen bell peppers etc. keep a lookout at your local grocery for when these items go on sale.

I would suggest you don't make too many items at home on the day of the party otherwise you will not get to enjoy your kid's 1st birthday. Try to prepare everything in advance and use disposable cutlery.

Happy 1st birthday to your little one!

1 person likes this.
  6. Lostinva

Lostinva New IL'ite

Hi pmahensa,
    Thanx a lot for your long and detailed explaination:bowdown.
    U have given me lots of great ideas:thumbsup .It will not only help me but also people like me who are lost.Iam really really touched by ur message.Its as if my sister is guiding me how to do the party.
    and thanx a lot for the wishes too.