1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning Gold Jewellery

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by Zeenth, Jul 10, 2007.

1. essvee

essvee New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

A little bit of detergent/soap/shampoo in hot water works wonders for cleaning gold jewellery. I've always used this to clean my jewellery at home. Sometimes a little scrubbing is required for the dirt that is stuck specially on the rings and earrings, which should be done only with a soft toothbrush. But you should not use these detergents or soaps for costume/imitation jewellery as it might spoil the polish.

One of my aunts used to boil the gold ornaments with a pinch of turmeric for getting a golden shine. Haven't tried it myself though. Has anybody heard of it?

I'd like to try the toothpaste trick next time.

Thanks for sharing all these tips.

2. Poonkodi

Poonkodi Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing the useful tips

3. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Thanks for the tips.Do anyone know how to keep silver pooja ornaments shining ..Mine get darkened at the rims.
    Thanks
    Mangai

4. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

just put your ornaments in a bowl of warm water and add just one or two, depending upon the number of jewels, denture tablets, which we use for cleaning false teeth.Just leave it for a few minutes, and rinse in water.No brushing, no cleaning..viola! your jewelery sparkles!

And for silverware, apply a little 'vibhuthi' or ash in a wet cloth and wipe the vessel thoroughly, and then rinse well in water, and most important of all is to dry thoroughly.Always store covered in plastic to avoid darkening.There are commercially available powders but this is a very simple method.

5. njoylife

njoylife New IL'ite

Hi Karthi, Madhu,
    wonderful idea. I just tried your tip of using toothpaste. It worked like charm. Once when I had bought some handcrafted silver jewellery, the shopkeeper advised me to clean with colgate toothpowder. Didnt try it (didnt have toothpowder handy!). But since the paste works, might be the powder will work as well..
    Nisha

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Wow... let me give this hotwater and toothpaste one...

thanks !!!

7. rekarrajan

rekarrajan New IL'ite

Dont waste the potato cooked water. Soak the gold ornaments in the potato cooked water for some minutes and simply brush it with ur hands in the potato water itself. After taking out from the PC water, u can brush the ornaments with the usual method. This will give u an added sparkle. Try it out.

Love,
    Rekha Rangarajan:thumbsup

8. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi. Ur one question has given us so many tips. Thanks to u for that first.
    My mother uses the Soapnut powder method.
    Last year I myself saw when I went to get my chain cleaned, the person made the chain rest in boiling water into which soap was added for sometime and then cleaned it using cold water.

Lol u have so many options. Try them and decide which is best and forget not to share which method worked out best for u.