1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for job in H4 status : Expert opinions needed

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by indira, Apr 3, 2005.

1. indira

indira Junior IL'ite

I got married recently and came to the US on H4. We are thinking of having kids only after 3 to 4 years. In the meatime, I would like to work here in the US. How can I get a H1B visa? Has anyone done that before? Any guidance would be helpful.

2. vani

vani Junior IL'ite

The H1B quota for the year 2005-2006 starts in October 1st. However the government will start receiving applications by April 1st itself.

You can try applying for jobs with companies. If a company is willing to give you a job, they can submit your H1B sponsorship application now. However, you will be able to work only after October 1st 2005.

I am also trying for a job now, but there are not a lot of companies willing to sponsor a H1B now for a person who will be able to work only in October. They are telling me to come in September timeframe. By September they are saying that they will have a better understanding of their October requirements.

3. pooja

pooja New IL'ite

I also tried for a job with a US company. They want me to try in October when H1B quota starts. I am afraid that in October, there might not be any H1B's left. Last year, the quota got over on October 1st itself.

So, I am talking with some Indian body shopping companies that can file a H1B for me now. I can then trasfer in October when this US company provides me a job.

- pooja

4. uma

uma Senior IL'ite

I am also trying with another Indian body shopping company to sponsor my H1B.

My husband works for a Fortune 500 company and he is confident that he can get me a job in October when the new quota starts. His company is basically telling him, "Come in October, we will give her a job". But what we are worried is that, if we go in October, his company might be willing to give me a job, but the H1B quota would have run out by the time his company files for H1B.

So, we want to get an Indian body shopping company to file H1B now. In October, when I get the job from my husband's company, I can just trasfer my H1B.

The problem I am running into is that these body shopping companies are not interested in filing a H1B for me if they know that I will trasfer and go to another company in October. They want me to work for their client atleast for 1 year. We are thinking of potential way out.

1 person likes this.
  5. sheetal

sheetal New IL'ite

Uma, Generally body shopping companies will file for H1B only if you give some form of commitment to stay with them for atleast a year.

However, you can negotiate with them to see if they will processes your H1B if you pay them all processing expenses and an additional compensation? Have you tried asking them that?

6. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

Ways to work as H4

I know of a few ladies in H4 visa who manage to make some arrangement with their employer and work full-time. I wanted to start this thread so we can share such ideas and also collectively explore creative ways in which we can make a work arrangement.

Inability to work is a big frustration point for H4's, particularly for people like me who had responsible positions back in India before coming here. I am willing to explore all avenues at this point.

Please chime in with your thoughts..

A

1 person likes this.
  7. Chitra Mahesh

Chitra Mahesh New IL'ite

Hi Akalya...

Am a 2 day old member to this forum :)...got married 2 months back and now in Sunnyvale on H4...totally relate to your situation as i was also employed in India...

Have a finance background and get to hear instances where jobs were available but the employer was not ready to sponsor the visa....would defnitely appreciate if you could give ideas or give references of such employers too....

chitra

8. friends2b

friends2b New IL'ite

Hi there!

I have seen many of them(H4 visa holders) getting H1 from some company and then getting it transfered to the company they get the job from.

Second thing that can be done is, there are many desi consulting companies, get H1 from them and you can then work as a consultant.

The third option is that you work as a volunteer, i.e., without pay. But many companies in that case pay you cash.
    Hope it is of some help for you guys.

9. Ashwi

Ashwi New IL'ite

Same story !!! - H4 Visa Holder

hi everybody !

I joined this group now and i am totally new to it .

I stay in Troy and am housewife. Same old story H4 visa holder . I am BA in english from India and am bored sitting at home. Actually we have a very nice group here of about 9 indian ladies . We meet daily . But still i find bore and i want to do some part time job or even i am ready to work from home. As all of you know that H4 holder can't do job or study ...

Can anybody help me to find solution ? Anybody who stay in Troy ?

10. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

You can study

Hi Ashwi,

Nice to meet you. welcome to IL. I know how it feels to be at home. I have been in the same boat as you.I live in CT. I have been in this country for 12 yrs now.
    I have studied in community colleges when I was in H4. I guess there should not be a problem for you too to study. You can also volunteer in some places and libraries. there should'nt be any problem for that too. I hope this helps.....

jothi.

sindmani likes this.