indians in philippines

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific - Other Areas' started by nakshatra81, Nov 30, 2008.

1. nakshatra81

nakshatra81 Senior IL'ite

hi ,
    ihave been in philippines for 5 yrs and now switched over to egypt.philippines is a marvellous country with friendly people,greeneriesandmany shopping malls.i miss philippines very much.i still want to have touch with our indian community over there.it helps me to update about the present situation.we had nice gettogathers during diwali,pongal,and tamil newyear but i miss all those things here.

2. kavyamadhav

kavyamadhav Bronze IL'ite

Hello Nakshatra,
    I have tried to send a PM to you. BUt you are new elite, so u dont have that option. can you tell me more about Philippines... about Indians living there, Indian grocceries, weather, life style,.. etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. nakshatra81

nakshatra81 Senior IL'ite

Hi kavya,
    sorry for the delayed reply.ya iam new ilite not yet completed my 50 posts.ofcourse philippines is a nice country.we can get indian groceries(both north and south indian) in indian grocery store like azaad,taj mahal etc.there may be 4 or 5 grocery stores.price will be 3 times more than india.what field is ur bro going to work for?.there are about 5 to 6 indian restaurants.one sikh temple,one radhasamy satsang and one hindu temple.those places provide lunch on sundays.
    about the climate,most of the time it will be raining.they just have two seasons summer and rainy.no winter atall.woollen clothes are of no use.they hav lots of shopping malls.SM will b the best followed by robinson mall.we can make cheap and best shopping at tutuban mall (divisoria).but beware of robbers.its not advisable to commute in public transport like jeepneys and tricycles.
    thats all for now.pls feel free to ask about any info,i will try to surf you with the details

4. Srilatha775

Srilatha775 New IL'ite

Hello Nakshatra,
    I am quite new in Manila, we just moved in a few months back. The place is quite nice, but I don't have any indian friends yet. Can you tell me if there are any vegetarian restaurants here? also is there any indian association or something where I can make some friends?

Thanks!

5. srinus

srinus New IL'ite

haiii srilatha where are u from ?? now im in manila

6. lexie

lexie New IL'ite

Hi there Srilatha,

My name is Lexie. I'm not Indian but I would like to meet Indians living in Manila to network and have cultural exchange. I can recommend you vegetarian and Indian restaurants in the city...

Kashmir, 816 Arnais Ave.,
    Long Grain, Power Plant Mall Rockwell,
    The New Bombay, Dela Costa St. Salcedo Vill.
    Spices Restaurant, The Peninsula Manila Makati Ave.,
    Bollywood Bistro Restaurant , Level 3, Greenbelt 3, Makati City, Philippines
    Swagat Indian Cuisine, 119 FCC Building, Rada Street, Legaspi Village, Makati City,

I have tried Kashmir Restaurant and the Bollywood Bistro and both are very good.:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2010
  7. drmchsraj

drmchsraj New IL'ite

Just dropping by real quick:You must've settled and familiarized yourself by now I hope!
    There was an Indian food festival at the Crowne Plaza last month (before Ketsana struck the very area, and the whole block was flash flooded and streets were 'inaccessible'). I heard it was the best compared to the last event earlier this year.

8. phildpop

phildpop New IL'ite

Hi nakshatra,
    I know this post is pretty old. i was browsing for indian grocery store but havent been able to find one. Can you help with the nearest indian grocery store. I stay in Ortigas.

-pdp

9. wifeandmommy

wifeandmommy New IL'ite

Hello to the indians staying in philippines :)

I m staying in manila, its been quiet a while since i m here but i m going back to India soon. Manila sure is a nice place to stay, ppl r friendly, good restraunts, there r even few good places to see too. I always wanted to visit the museums, wanted to know the history behind the place but i always thought i still have time. Its funny how u always wanted to know the city u live in and end up never knowing it at all.

10. drmchsraj

drmchsraj New IL'ite

Ah, I envy you :). Hope Ketsana and freinds did not wreak much havoc for you, personally. So are you going to leave Manila/Phils for good? I'd love to go there sometime and explore the history behind it and try their (some of their weird) foods lol.

Tell us moooore about the place, please!!