1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is courtship over rated?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by winpie, May 8, 2009.

1. Raji26

Raji26 New IL'ite

The courtship is a mindset of how long it takes to understand your better half.

We marry and think things will be very rosy.... There will be difference of opinions even if you have the best of husband...he is also human. Its just compromise and not carrying over the argements to the next day that is important. This may take months or even years (may be even after the birth of the first child). Just dont just let go off your self confidence

2. winpie

winpie Silver IL'ite

Hi Pragati, Omnam and Mithy,
    Thank you all for taking this discussion forward. As I read each and every reply my initial thoughts seem to get validated. Whether it is someone with an arranged marriage or a love marriage all seem to be of the opinion that the time of courtship shows only a small portion of the partner's personality.

A lifetime is not enough to know a person through and through.

But in all this I somehow get the feeling that the original question still goes unanswered - is courtship over-rated?

I guess I am still interested in finding out how what people see during their courtship days adds or subtracts from their married life.

Hope to hear more on this.

Winpie

3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

It depends on the persons. Some people can judge the suitability of an alliance in a short time, others need more time. Also it depends on the families, the situations the couples face and the mental makeup of the married couple to deal with tough situations. I have seen cases of people who courted for years but drove each other nuts after marriage....

4. winpie

winpie Silver IL'ite

Hi Raji and BeeAmma,
    Thank you for your replies. Every body seems to agree that it is the people involved that determine whether they will have a successful partnership or not.

That being the case again it comes down to the same thing - if you are a certain type of person, courtship or no courtship, you will make a good job at commitment and partnership that a marriage requires. If not......!!!!!!!

5. winpie

winpie Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

Am I being sexist addressing only the ladies as there seem to be quite a number of men following this site? I really don't mean to be and I would love to hear from the men also!

I wanted to add a new twist to this thread. Love marriages, by their very definition involve a period when the people concerned meet as just .... people and not as prospective bride and groom. Thus there is surely a period when they see each other as acquaintances and then maybe as friends and then....... .

This progression from general to specific so to speak is a part of what is known as courtship. As so many people have said in this thread, this deeper knowledge of the partner is what adds that special something to the equation which differentiates a love marriage from an arranged marriage.

Now this is my new question "Is it possible to have this courtship after marriage in an arranged marriage?"

I feel it is possible. But 'how' is the more interesting question.

Looking forward to answers to that one!

6. ajithadhinakar

ajithadhinakar New IL'ite

Hi Winpie,

In my opinion the answer to your question is yes. In an arranged marriage early years of marriage can serve as an extended courtship. But a conscious effort has to be made and I would say that's better. Only disadvantage is in case if the person is abusive or exploting its a little late to find it after marriage.

Other than that I would say this extended courtship after marriage will be wonderful. Me and my husband had 8 months of courtship before our marriage. That time we had lof of misunderstandings and fights with the long distance tension adding fuel. But after marriage just being together solved lot of misunderstandings and we are happy :)....I would say this settling period is important for what you are asking from "generic to specific"...but the couples has to make this a point and to be honest with each other and getting to know each other in a casual way rather than trying to impress which might be difficult for the newly weds :).May be a concrete decision on when to start family is also a deciding factor.If kids come before this settling period or extended courtship life will take a different direction altogether :)

Hope I have answered your question in the right context.

Regards,
    Ajitha

7. winpie

winpie Silver IL'ite

Hi Ajitha,
    Very well said. Courtship is the getting-to-know-each-other-well stage and it is relevant in all types of marriages. I liked the way you put your thoughts across and yes you answered it in the very context I had intended the post to be.

8. alka1960

alka1960 Junior IL'ite

its difficult to comment on love marriage vs arrange marriage taking into account courtship as mine has been an arranged marriage. but recently my daughter had a love marriage. i find her too coping with same kind of issues as in any arrange marriage. but according to her the courtship gives scope for better communication between partners to smooth out various issues, many of which may be trivial today snowballing tomo.

9. drmchsraj

drmchsraj New IL'ite

a good topic and still going strong, thanks to everyone's particiaption!. courtship depends on the court-ers itself :). some want to do the silly, lovedovey things they haven't been able to do so far in life, rather than focus on the more important issues simultaneously. others might take it too seriously and spoil the fun themselves and wonder what ruined it...

all in all, it is a very vital phase and if you will, it's a relaxing golfcart provided to you to traverse the huge gold course in the midday sun; it isn't fast, very comfortable or too exciting but it lets you relax and gear up/not lose focus (on the main game) and to get to know the other's perspective on things. so whether it acheives it's primary purpose or not, people open up to each other during/going through it better than during other stages because it is full of thrill, excitement and sweet anticipation.
    this it's NOT overrated.

lol i do sound like answering an essay q or proving a theorem from high school?!

10. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Its science folks. There are chemicals in your body when you are in the "feeling of love" courtship period. The "feeling good" comes from that, and you will only focus on the positives.

Thats why thats not always a clear indication of long term success and open, honest communication is important.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010