Your urgent feedback please about buying either car

Discussion in 'Indians in Australia & NZ' started by Ibehindcurtain, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Ibehindcurtain

Ibehindcurtain Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I am sorry I have less technological knowledge. I am planning to buy a car and I have two options.

1) Ford Fairmont Ghia 1997

Dark green automatic

165,000 km driven

Rego expiring in the month of March 2012

New tyres

Good condition. Well serviced.

Price - $2200

This would be a private dealing. The car is not insured and the seller is not happy to take responsibility of the car once sold.

Do you think, it is appropriate to buy such car?

2)

White commodore car used for 3,00,000 km

Rego expiring in May

Brand new tyres

Price: $2000

Which would be a good deal?

I would highly appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Would this be a good deal?

2. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

The one with lesser mileage is the best. IMHO.

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

IBC,
    I know you are excited at the prospect of buying a car..
    Do you know the sellers? That way you know how the vehicle's maintenance history...accidents, etc.

Take your time to do the research and then come to a conclusion...can someone help you to look it over? Someone with a mechanical bent of mind will pick out things you may not know (trust me I know that one very well!)

1 person likes this.
  4. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

we cannot guess like this..take a test drive and have some experienced to look the car and decide upon it...
    we generally go with less than 100000 km vehicle..
    thats the best option

1 person likes this.
  5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear,

actually both of them too way on there mileage and once you start driving your safety and well being also important.

you can budge few more thousand from your husband and buy a safety vehicle.Why don't you visit "Car Max" or some kind of dealership for the used vehicles and you may get some idea about the price range and get more knowledge on the vehicles.

But don't rush ,take your time and understand more parameters and also safety.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ibehindcurtain

Hi Nemesis,

I do not understand what is IMHO.

7. Ibehindcurtain

Hi,

That is lovely to know. The seller of Ford Fairmont Ghia is the elder brother of one of the dealer here and he says that the car has been maintained very well by him. And, in commodore case, I have another dealer saying that it was the company car.

I would certainly like to see if I can arrange to have some mechanic with me before making any decision. In that case, I do not have any hurry and I can wait. Thank you very much for this information.

8. Ibehindcurtain

Okay. Thank you Subhaganesh. I would certainly do that. I would like to contact some experienced and see if any of them is correct option. It would certainly help.

9. Ibehindcurtain

In that case, okay. I would wait. The dealer of the commodore told me that the air bags are there in the car that would offer extra safety. Dear, I have a 3 years old daughter, so the safety issue if my priority. I do not want to take chance in this regard. Thank you. I would try to find out somebody who is experienced and can sort out the good option for me. Thanks.

10. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

IBC,

Buying a used car is a tricky business...don't go by what someone tells you. Find out if there's a 'blue book' equivalent in use there. Blue book gives you information on the car's price value based on the make/year/model of the car, etc. Plus you need to have someone look it over, it has to be a reliable seller with all the neccessary documentation, etc. People can say a lot of things to sell the car. Please take an informed decision.

1 person likes this.