Your Kitchen Or Cooking Related Dream, Wish

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Rihana, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What is one thing you dream about achieving in your kitchen or related to cooking? Maybe you've seen others do it and wish you could. Maybe you've always wanted some kitchen gadget, but never bought it.

Could be anything... always-organized cabinets, more counter space, making a particular dish your MIL makes good, effortlessly organizing a party and looking fresh after a day of cooking ... Please share. :grinning:

iyerviji, Amica and Amulet like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have a long list. Serpentine. Sharing one for now:

At least once I want to cook like the chefs or bloggers do in videos. All the ingredients ready in small white bowls, and then magically disappearing when it is time to use a spoon to grandly put some of the curry in a plate, taste it and say "yummm" to the camera. The main thing is all ingredients ready in white bowls.

iyerviji, Anisu, Amica and 2 others like this.
  3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I consider myself a fairly good cook but one thing I always wanted to master was Bread.

I tried few times few years back and was not happy with the results. So warm tasty bread made by me just out of the oven is a long held dream

4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Dream ? Fantasy ? This often happens when we are NRI. Once back in India, there will be hired help to deal with the realities, and give us a break.

I hate looking at the sink after the family of four (sometimes six) eats together, and stack all the dishes in it, to be rinsed and loaded in the dishwasher. One dream is for a small dumb-waiter in the kitchen.

People would open the door, place the dirty dish in there, close it, and press the button. The dirty dish will be taken away. And a fresh dish would reappear later.

An even more fantastic fantasy is to have a synthesizer (food replicator) like they had in Star Trek. We would just go to the unit ( on that show it looked like a microwave oven mounted flush on the wall), and ask what we want. Like "one mysore masala dosa, with two chutneys and sambar". And there will be some whirring, flashing lights, and a ping of a bell. Voila, open the door, and there will be whatever that you ordered. That would be nice to have too. Although not at the dosa making/serving stage, some israelis have an early version. This is likely not going to be a reality for a Dosa in my lifetime:

Low cost maids, and take-out businesses are tough competitions for such devices to be cost effective for the kitchen. And besides a MIL can easily go up to a DIL and say what she'd say to a food replicator, and get it done. :wink1:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Amica and Rihana like this.
  5. Indeevara

Indeevara Platinum IL'ite

I would like to be an expert at baking- most of the times I fail miserably! Sometimes its ok though but yet to get the knack of it.
    As for kitchen part- I would love to have a bigger kitchen than what I have now.
    With much more cabinets and counter space. Actually I can go and on here.. :D

Rihana, Amica, HazelPup and 1 other person like this.
  6. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I don’t live in India . So my biggest dream is to have someone cook , clean , do dishes for me. I saw a interview of Rani mukherji right after she was married. She said she never realized how many vegetables there are and how tough it is to tell the cook to what to cook everyday. She is living my dream :)

7. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

Realistic wish A new dream kitchen with a big Island surrounded by beautiful dining chairs and lot of counter space to keep appliances that can sit on granite countet top. Now coming to the dishes part I am a reasonably good cook however those jalebis / Jaangris puzzle me. So hard to get it. My friend makes perfect Jaangris. Envy her cooking.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

I want a professional-style built-in indoor tandoor please.

And I want DH to some day offer a compliment on my cooking without being prompted.

The first wish may actually come true.

Rihana, SunPa and nandinimithun like this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

These really work very well:
    Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Rihana likes this.
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Amica, Rihana and Amulet like this.