1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Music Instrument?

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by salad, Sep 26, 2017.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

This is pretty good for beginners and should help u get started.
    In time u will be able to develop the skill to hear the shruthi in the background be able to note any variation in the violin and adjust without the need for an app.
    PS: If u havent played ur violin in years u might want to take it to violin shop replace the strings and get a general tune up done. Most western classical violin rental places also seem to know about how to tune for carnatic .

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    kkrish likes this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for the link @justanothergirl
    I was going to post the Shruti table, but it is in the website posted in the video.

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @salad
    As you are so sure that it is not me, I'll search for a new teacher.

4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Speaking of music instruments.

I like the guitar and the percussion played in this song by the Ventures - Wipe out

5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

And here is are two more in just musical instruments.
    My yet another favorite composer Ennino Marricone

1. Wild Horses- The Movie "For a Few Dollars More"

And the best for the last
    2. The Good Bad and the Ugly

" Make my day!!!"

Archanaanchan likes this.
  6. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

I have been meaning to learn veena/viola for a long time and now after seeing these messages feeling even more motivated . With work, kids, dance and other activities wonder how I will get time for this . Ladies who are into veena, is it important to learn vocals first or can we just start with veena and learn vocals along with it ? How does one buy a veena in the US?

kkrish and salad like this.
  7. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Glad to hear this. the purpose of this thread is fulfilled :). It is alwyas good to motivate each other.

Sunburst and kkrish like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Ooops! Have I been going away from the thread's purpose, posting western music videos and all that?
    Sorry.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Sunburst
    Very happy to know that you are motivated to learn the Veena.

It is indeed difficult to find time with children as they will claim priority through the day.
    I did not practice for many years ... only after my kids went to high school did I find some "me" time.
    However, let me not discourage you. If you find time - good. If not - just have to wait a few years till kids are less dependent on you.

Since carnatic music is lyric based, it is always good to have knowledge of the songs.
    I was familiar with many songs because my mom used to sing; ever since I remember. So I started off Veena straight away. (I also refused to learn vocal from my mother; she used scold me if I made mistakes).

That said, now I am learning vocal as well. Though singing and playing the instrument are both different technically speaking, knowledge of vocal music will only complement our learning the veena(or any other instrument) and vice versa.
    I am learning both now via Skype - gurus are in India. As I am in the East Coast. 5:30 am class and then I get ready as usual and go to work.

There are many online stores in the US where you can place an order. However, as I have no experience buying one here, there is not much I can share.
    I brought mine from India.

Hopefully someone will have an answer.

Best wishes.

justanothergirl and Sunburst like this.
  10. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

@kkrish , Thank you for your reply . It's hard to find "me" time when there is so much going around . Luckily, with lots of support and baby sitting from my husband , I have been able to continue with my classical dance . I am involved in the cultural activities of a temple and recently few of my friends played veena during one of the events . It was ethereal and transported me to a different level altogether hence got the new veena bug in me . I liked the idea of learning it through Skype as it may offer some flexibility with my schedule . I am going to look around and see how it may fit into my schedule . Thanks

kkrish likes this.