1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Lata Mangeshkar Song?

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Rihana, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Aah . Lag ja gale .. that is one song I never skip forward if it comes up in a YouTube playlist. I so wish some timeless gems like this one were never remixed. :expressionless:

For some reason, never watched Woh Kaun Thi completely though it came on Doordarshan a few times.

Aaja piya tohe pyaar dun... Asha Parekh look ethereal. Lata at her melodious best. When I look for words to describe Lata's voice, I remember the voices of actors and singers in the audio cassettes HMV/Saregama used to release. Waheeda Rehman in particular had some beautiful words about Lata in one audio cassette.

Yes, should have retired by the early 80's.

SinghManisha likes this.
  2. Rihana

Tum Na Jaane.. what a song. Never feels old. The sheer depth of sadness when she sings 'maut bhi aati nahin jaan bhi jaati nahin'.

I often asked the audio cassette shop wala to get me a combo of Sazaa and Amar. He said Saregama or other companies might not make one, but he took a list of all old songs I wanted, and recorded them on a high quality (90 min, not a measly 60 mins) SONY audio cassette and had it ready within a week. Guy used to run his electronics shop even when he didn't make money for years. That was one cassette I treasured for years. Repaired it too when it got jammed in the tape recorder/player... with cellotape, small sharp scissors quietly taken from dad's shaving box, and talcum powder. Knew exactly which words were lost and filled them in myself when the song played sans them.

Hammurabi's code : ) Was the intent and not the intent at the same time.. Didn't want a flood of only-video links. Puts me off mightily. We have youtube for just links. Happens after the first few posts in most such threads, and saw it in Cheeniya's recent series too.

It is our Ouroboros only, so I will not fine(sse) tune my besura not-melodious response. : ) It can't be called a haunting melody by any measure. Sorry! It doesn't help that it stars Kajol and SRK..

Someone got me a cow bell from Europe around that time as a gag gift after our many talks on DDLJ's popularity. Still have it. Time to dust it and do something creative with it.. like record the sound and send it to her and ask if she remembers..... Thank you for the mention of DDLJ and the cow bell! Brought back such lovely memories! The weeping willow in my avatar picture is in fact a reminder of the happy times we had, the many chai's, many books, arguments about Ramayana, Mahabharata, Clinton. There was a weeping willow near where we lived.

3. Rihana

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Agatha! For the phrase "honey soaked voice." For the past half hour have been trying to recall what similes were used by actresses and others in audio cassettes to praise Lata. Before each song, the actress or somebody used to say a few words. And one of those were Hindi for honey soaked. (shahad ghol ke kaanon mein daala). Honey dissolved in the song and poured in ears.

Lata had relatively few playful songs. Lara Lappa was definitely a beautiful one among them.

"dulcet" is another word that comes to mind.

4. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Hehe! Got it. I agree. I feel anecdotal narratives in the responses stimulate bonhomie in the forum, whereas, mere links are depersonalized like two metallic bots communicating to get the job done.

Cannot be called?
    Cannot be called?
    You disagree?
    That too with me?
    Cannot be called?

(Ekta Kapoor's flashing cameras surround from all angles)

CANNOT BE CALLED?

In the medieval era, men used to challenge each other in a duel to assert their point. In this instance, Ouro being very kind, you decide where and when you are willing to pit against me in a qawali to prove that Tujhe Dekha Toh is the haunting song you ever listened to.

Rihana likes this.
  5. Rihana

Haunting as in Halloween haunting maybe : )

Instead of a qawali duel we could have an antakshari, only Lata songs, and no internet search. : ) Think and say yes. I was on some winning teams in another lifetime. : ) Folks were willing to pay me for "research" and "database" service before google, and also for not singing myself. : )

6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Good choice, @joylokhi!

I love this song. It's one of my all-time favorites. As is the movie.

In my family, if any teenager is heard singing/humming this one, said teen will be locked in the cellar till they turn 30. :neutral:

joylokhi and Rihana like this.
  7. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

:smile::tearsofjoy: Yes, truly, during those college days, this song would make us go gaga over romantic notions of divine love! and surely lathas voice was the reason for it even more than the lyrics/ music included. Wanted to add the youtube video but was not able to do so. Thanks for the same.

Rihana and Amica like this.
  8. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Oh, No! :rolleye::shocked::shakehead:

9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

:lol: @Mistt you want them to elope?

10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana, my apologies for the diversion. Getting back on track:

Another favorite song. All my attempts to sing it failed. "Jiyara Re" was a bit of a tongue twister and would send us into gales of laughter. Happy memories. :)

Rihana likes this.