Your Favorite Air Travel Accessories?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

"In aviation, the flight length is defined as the time airborne during a flight. There are four categories: short-haul, medium-haul, long-haul and ultra long-haul."
    flight.JPG
    Share your favorite accessories that can make the longer than 4 hours flights more bearable. Try to be specific. For example, don't just say 'neck pillow'; go look at your closet or cabinet or text the knowledgeable spouse/friend, and tell us exactly which brand/model of neck pillow. : )

Online links to where item can be bought appreciated.

Accessories can be anything you take along in the carry-on baggage.

Gallant, Thyagarajan and Amica like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

My Kindle, Kindle, Kindle! I can put up with anything including extended layovers as long as my favorite books are waiting. I use the basic Kindle for travel since it holds its charge much better.
    I always carry a lightweight fleece blanket ( I got mine at IKEA years ago) since I find the airline ones gross.
    Wet Ones and Clorox travel wipes for airplane and loos in India.
    Bose noise canceling headphones-the earbud type. I use these at work too so they were worth the splurge.
    I keep extra socks in my handbag and change a few times during travel.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@MalStrom - I envy you. You read on planes? I get to nurse a massive headache and nausea when I look at a book onboard. All I do is wait for my son to sleep so I can doze off too. That's the only thing that keeps my travel headaches at bay.

Oh forgot about what I like to take onboard - nothing other than clothes, snacks and toys. When I'm by myself there is nothing in my carry on other than a couple of pairs of change of clothes. I hate having to carry anything that adds weight to my carry on. I have now purchased ultra light weight luggage so I don't have trouble lifting it into the overhead bin.

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Reading is about all I can do on planes. Movies give me headaches. And I seriously envy all those souls who manage to sleep soundly from takeoff to landing. :tearsofjoy:

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I drink a couple of glasses of wine as soon as my son sleeps and that knocks me out for the next few hours. I wake up with him! I know what you mean. My DH nods off right before take off and sleeps through most of the journey waking only for food in between.

6. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

At one point of our lives we both did a lot of SH flights, occasional MH, and once a year LH/ULH flights.
    Aside from our his/hers amenity bags, ziploc items separated within the bag to take out for TSA checks, we had a written check-list of items. Business travels are packed using the checklist. Vacation travels are packed lah-di-dah. The check lists were on the fridge under a magnet. Once in a while someone will slam it shut, and the fridge papers and magnets will fall on the floor and go back up in a new order. The check-list hunt will be on, the day before travel.
    All passport renewals are done when there is one year for expiry. Many countries would like a 6 month validity, and some want 1 year validity.

One thing I really like on LH/ULH, and even longish medium haul flights is to bring along compression knee-high stockings and change into them in the terminal bathroom, before boarding the flight. If I am rushing off to board, because of long TSA line, well.. then it is still in my carryon bag. It is very useful.
    Miracle Socks Anti-Fatigue Compression Socks, Unisex Black | Walgreens

I bring along magazines, i-thing music, noise cancelling earphones (Bose), underwears & other clothes for a day (if luggage is delayed), laptop, sweater & slip-on disposable sandals (for LH+ flights).

7. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I am blessed with sleep anywhere, anytime so I sleep comfortably in the flights. I just tug in the ears on the seats and rest my head on it. I sleep most of the time. I choose aisle seats as I like to walk/stretch. Other than that listen to songs on my phone, or watch movies. I carry trail mix to feed myself if the airline food is not good. I also carry two pairs of clothes in the hand luggage and change when there is a layover. The other is in case if the luggage gets delayed. Wear a loose top with a light jacket and jeans/capris and chappals and all the necessary accessories in the purse. I avoid the restrooms on the plane as much as possible. This is when I am traveling alone.

Traveling with the infant son is a different story.

Gallant, Rihana and Amica like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Noise cancelling head-phones(Bose).
    Empty water bottle.
    One set of change of clothes, a small towel, comb. travel size-face wash, toothbrush, and toothpaste, prescription medicines.

In the flight:
    I just close my eyes and try to unwind. Without fail the days before departure are frenzied - finishing all work at office, packing, security check - So finally it is time to unwind.
    No reading, no movies - they give me a headache. I keep hydrated with constant sips of water.

At the transit airport
    Refresh - brush teeth, wash face, comb hair.
    Walk a lot, getting a good workout and tire myself enough to again unwind and sleep during the second leg.
    When I sit I watch airplane take offs. Always love to watch the majestic climb in the air - such heavy weight defying gravity.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  9. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Over the years, I've bought a lot of travel stuff :blush:. I don't carry all of it every time I fly, but here's a peek into my hoard:

A while ago I read an article about all the icky stuff they found on airplanes. It prompted me to temporarily become a germaphobe and acquire airplane tray covers.

Pressure-reducing ear plugs.

An armrest divider. I haven't used this, but I have placed an upright file folder against the armrest to protect myself from spillover.

An eye mask in case this dude's on the plane. :shakehead:

Ever since one disastrous flight seated next to a chatty dude who insisted on telling me his life story, I wear a similar shirt if I'm traveling alone. After a polite haha, people leave me alone. :)

I carry all metal stuff (keys, watch, jewelry) in a ziploc bag in my pocket. I drop the whole bag in the tray when I go through the detector.

Also, no more sleeping on flights. :nono:

What happened to OP goes first? [​IMG]

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I usually take short or medium haul flights and rarely long haul flights. But I would fly at least once (up and down) in every 3 months.

The most important thing that I carry with me is the peaceful mind, so that I sleep the moment I board the flight.
    Last time, I slept as soon as I boarded the QR flight bound to CMB in Doha, and woke up after sometimes, thought the flight has already landed, so I rushed to carry my luggage in the overhead bin. But then only I realized, the flight was still there, roaming in the run-way due to severe air traffic. It seems I had an uninterrupted sleep for 40 mins there.

Gallant, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.