Your dog is your responsibility

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Bhooma, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

I wonder why some pet owners walk their dogs without the leash on ?

On Saturday morning as I was on my usual walk with Joshua at a distance I could see a fully grown lab - without the leash and a lady walking behind him.

Whenever I see pets which are without the leashes I prefer to take a detour.. I did just that and hardly had I walked 20 paces when Joshua strained at his leash so badly I almost fell.. the lab was running in full strength towards us .. I confess that at 5 in the morning I am a bit vulnerable to having a full grown lab running towards me .. fortunately for me there was one more early morning walker who managed to come between us .. ofcourse by then the lady's daughter had come running and was in control of the dog . She came up to me and said My dog is very obedient .. he wont do anything ... you dont have to worry!!

Your dog maybe the most obedient one.. but he is an animal and why take the risk ? at 5 in the morning there are many who are on their morning walks and doesnt it become the responsibility of the owners to ensure that their pets are on leash ?

Bhooma

2. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear Bhooma,

It was really a scary thing to read about your early morning encounter with the Lab .The owners will claim that their dog is harmless ,but that is only in their eyes ...how can we predict the dogs behaviour with strangers that too when you have your own dog with you !
    This is another reason why I've never ventured out with my dogs.We make them walk and run in our own garden space.We have a nice pathway all around the house so they just run around there.There are so many stray dogs loitering around in every street here too .This is even more dangerous.

Be very careful when you venture out and see if some one else can join you also.

warm regards
    PAULINA:wave

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Bhooma,

Completely agree with you. It's stupidity for them to say that, instead of knowing that its their fault to have their pet roam like that in the first place.

People really seem to be completely mindless at times...

4. konkana

konkana New IL'ite

You are totally right,We need to treat them as our kid!!!!!!

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Bhooma,
    Sure it is really scary...when we see pets without any leash...
    One joke came to my mind....The owner of the dog said...he is a good dog, he won't bit..only bark...
    to that the man to whom is said, answered...You and I know that , but does the dog know that....

sriniketan