1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Younger Brother Married Without Parents Knowledge

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by hopefulforbest, Dec 20, 2017.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

If the property given to the son was ancestral property,then you can go to court and ask for your share ,not because you deserve,since you perform no duties,but because, you can .

Then you can be the good child of your parents and put that property back on your parents name. Can you do that?

I have a feeling you can't or won't be allowed to .

Sunshine04, sindmani and Mistt like this.
  2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

@yellowmango, That's not a good idea. OP's husband doesn't even allow her to talk to her parents, once he gets this property through her, you can assume it's lost to her parents forever.OP doesn't have basic rights/voice in husband/inlaw's family so she really should not meddle in property matters.

Best case:- OP's parents take back the property through the legal methods advised and then will the property to each other

Current case:- If property already irretrievably transferred to son and nothing can be done, but atleast OP's parents have the oppurtunity to improve the relationship with son/DIL and also there will be societal pressure on Son to take care of parents in old age.So OP's parents have a lot of hope there. even after doing the mistake of transferring the property to his name.

Worst case:- OP claiming her share of ancestral property will not benefit anyone. That's the worst thing to happen to her parents. Between the 2 horrible situations, the property is better off with this type of son than this type of son-in-law!

3. yellowmango

I am just trying to show that given a choice she and her husband will not fair any better than the brother and his wife.It was more of a sarcastic post . Op seems to be an educated working woman from her old posts and not some helpless dependent woman.

As for the property ...if it is of no use to parents ,it is gone any way.
    Agree that the property is better off with the son. He is more likely to help them even if it just because of society pressure or because of the law.
    We never see daughters being taken to court by parents for not taking care of them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    sumalynux and sindmani like this.
  4. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

If OP is educated working woman, it is definitely her duty to help/take care of parents instead of making excuses of husband/inlaws. Already parents did so much, have raised her, educated her and made her financially capable, got her married with gold etc Still she has neglected to even talk to her parents to please her husband/inlaws , but ready to accept lakhs of gold for her kids .
    If her brother neglects parents/ stop talking to them telling that his wife doesn't like, will she accept????? Yeah, sudden concern for parents after years that too when her interests in the gold is at risk. After that even if her parents are thrown our by brother , she will neglect and go back to her life, cut contact and tell husband/inlaws not allowing.

Op, this is not to bring you down. I'm sure situation at your inlaws' place is very hard, But understand that your parents have only your brother to fall back on , so let them all make peace. If I were in your place, I would never stop talking to my parents to please my husband/inlaws. Most of the working women I know -they are thinking "my parents, they educated me and made me financially independent.Now, what can I do for them/take care of them?" Even non-working women try to do in other ways if not financially; and here you are you stopped talking to your family to avoid quarrel with inlaws.Being a good human being is more important than being a good DIL.Please say no to the gold- you don't deserve that and that will put your parents at more risk.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  5. yellowmango

While the op may not be after the property since she is also not doing any duties( at least her brother is around them and in his stupid ways cares not to dare to openly hurt them)......I don't think her in laws are any better than what she suspects her bhabhi and her family to be.

Op loves her husband inspite of how he is.
    She should give the same allowance to her brother who loves his wife. At least she is not stopping her husband from talking to his parents.

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, First thing for your parents to do is revert back all the property to their names. Do it asap. I have a feeling your brother is a very weak man and given the long duration of friendship the girl played smart and convinced him to get married to her. Either way your brother is foolish and fully entranced by that girl. Sun rises and sets with her. She seems to be a dominating and your brother is a weak submissive man. No wonder she is encroaching all aspects of his life. Your parents are better off living in the apartment.

As one of the ladies suggested here, do a thorough background check of the girl. Your brother has taken a dumb approach to the whole marriage thing. The girl's relative was a confidant for marriage. Everything about this set up seems fishy and with bigger payout in future. What are the chances your brother wont write all property in her name. She has blindfolded a grown man to be a weakling and dance to her tunes.

Your parents need to cancel the transfer all property in brother's name and do it back to their name.Run asap and find a lawyer to do it. Do it without your brother's knowledge for right now. She has a say in gold given to you, means she has complete hold on your brother. Your parents need to warn him its either them or her and disown him. That will set the love castle your brother blindly built to crumble.

I have a feeling the girl married your brother becoz of all the property and seeing how meek he is. She must have tried the same thing earlier and the guy alerted to her smart ways and bailed. Your brother stuck. He needs to see the reality and run.Good Luck.

hopefulforbest likes this.
  7. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Well said.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  8. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Op, since it seems ur brother had already married a person, instead of judging her and her family please accept ur brother's choice and move on.like u love ur husband though he is not perfect and is strict with you(no one is perfect in the world ), ur bro has all the rights to love his wife . Ur parent's financial security should be ur concern. It's time ur parents put a certain amount as saving deposit. Please see they do that. Talk to ur bro regarding savings account for ur parents.

9. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

VERY WELL SAID.:clap2::clap2::thumbup::thumbup:

10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

OP, if you are in India consult a good lawyer and see how to get the property and other assets back to your parents name. From what you write you say the girl and her brother have no assets but are in the money lending business. What are the chances they might influence your brother to sell the old home once the new one is ready. For someone that is capable of threatening your parents even before getting married I would be very worried . Getting the assets back in their name is probably the least you can do as a daughter and probably the most you can do considering your situation . Must be done ASAP.
    If you are working or have access to money , open a bank account / FD in their name. There should be something to fall back on temporarily if they cannot get their assets back. The brother should not know any of your plans here.

Getting a background check on the girl now is not your problem. He knows her for 10 yrs and is married, apparently happily. The fault is entirely your brothers, let him clean the mess if any.