1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

" You Must Be A Spoiled ...!" From The Heart Of An Only Child.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Dec 15, 2019.

1. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

Many thanks for frankly sharing this with us. Echoes what Rihana had mentioned in an older thread:

Thread: Is It Really That Good To Have Siblings?

kkrish likes this.
  2. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

This is so honest - my earnest thanks for sharing this. As a parent of 1 kid (I have a sibling) and constantly contemplating the 1 or 2 kid decision and considering everything under the sun, this speaks to me as I ask myself so many questions.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    kkrish and ILoveTulips like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @startinganew
    Thank you for your feedback.
    I was very glad reading your above quote.
    You made my day.:beer-toast1:

You are welcome.

I hope this thread does not come through as "Is having one child better than having two or more children ?".

Please, please, please ... I am repeating this over and over ... It is only an appeal to not paint the only-child with negative traits that are unfounded. I also request the "only children" to not say negative things about siblings because they have siblings. We do not know their world.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Agathinai and startinganew like this.
  4. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

thank you @kkrish for coming up with this writeup. I have actually read it many times since you wrote it but couldn't find anything better to say that what has been told already here . in this one+ year of my child i have already heard this multiple times that she would get spoiled if she is the only one , that she wont learn sharing , will be possessive , will become pampered , feels alone and no one to play with without a sibling etc from none outside but my H himself.in the past week since you wrote this , i thought of putting these points across but didnt do it yet. for all the struggles with the first baby i am kind of cautious and wary . i also want a sibling for my child but am also aware that it may or may not happen so want her to be happy on her own . if a sibling comes its good , if not its good too. Sibling is not a guarantee for lifelong support system. in my own family i have seen my fathers side siblings who stick with each other through thick and thin and my mothers side siblings who never bothered much about each other with some or the other excuse. infact i myself dont have the kind of relationship and closeness with my own brother the way i see with others here , though we do things for each other but that bonding is missing . and i have also seen only children of parents who do so much better and are kind , polite and disciplined and more . thank you , it was very heartwarming to read that.

SunPa and kkrish like this.
  5. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

:):):) I fully meant it. Their value for human relationships is beyond normal. And it is as all things part-nature and part-nurture.

Aaa..sorry, didn't mean to give that impression. I tried hard to not convey anything related to that - I only wanted to share a little more of where I am at. :relaxed:

kkrish likes this.
  6. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

As I have mentioned my granddaughter is the only child. She will be completing 11 yrs tomorrow. She is in 6th Std and independent. Recently her class friend's father expired. All the children were going to bring gifts for other children. This friend told it seems my mother has no time to buy gift for which my granddaughter told her I will buy the gift for you. Nobody taught her to say that on her own she told her. She does not ask for anything but happy with what she has.

Children learn from others. If they have good company they are positive in thinking. My sister's son is also only child but very loving and looks after his parents very well. Some learn from experience and in some cases it is inborn.

SunPa, sindmani, kkrish and 1 other person like this.
  7. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

its so nice to see @iyerviji aunty that both of your daughters have adopted kids . its equally endearing to see that your and your daughters inlaws families accepted adoption . such open minded view about adoption is not very common yet but very much needed.

startinganew, kkrish and iyerviji like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks dear

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Caughtinbetween
    Thank you for your lovely feedback.

i admire your approach of "if and when the next child comes so be it" attitude (highlighted in your quote). Till that happens no point in worrying.
    My mother's health I think was the reason I ended up being one.

I am happy my thread has given you the confidence that if your child ends up not having a sibling she will still grow up into a confident young lady.

Thank you for the heartwarming response. Best wishes.

startinganew likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @startinganew
    I love your - part-nature and part-nurture - highly profound words.

For me also my thread is a revelation.
    From all your feedback I got a glimpse of the world of siblings.

There are positives and negatives in both the worlds.

We just have to get the best out of what we have.

startinganew likes this.