1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You Know Habits Die Hard

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:thanks for thought provoking fb ji! & about that punctuation Mark's.
    For a very long time no response from a friend. He sent a message briefly . In the text field he typed only the "?".
    In response he got a message "!".
    That is for brevity in correspondence.
    Regards.
    God communicates through Nature.

HariLakhera likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

:hello:An in-depth feedback in that tracing origins of punctuation in written texts from earliest times.
    2. Even in Indus Valley hieroglyphics there is no punctuation which is considered the earliest civilisation .
    3. In pitman English And Tamil shorthand too for principle vowel sound three dots thin and thick placed before and or after a stroke depicts vowel sounds as appears in the pneumonic “pa May we all go too “ & “ that pen is not mine”.
    4. Your reference to punctuation marks in FB turned me nostalgic of those six months when I learnt in institute English typewriting and pitman shorthand. As an adolescent, the learning was quite interesting and helped me winning wider circle of friends. Thanks for this nostalgia.
    I liked the YMMV part.
    Regards.
    God loves curves and contours otherwise he would no have designed us.

3. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank you from bottom of my heart for a touching response. A beautiful soft parallel - should say a feather touch - .
    2. My late mother Sarada was behind my acquiring the LIFCO (LITTLE FLOWER COMPANY RANGANATAN STREET) dictionary as she contributed a part of the cost from that yellow LG as asafoetida tin box.
    3. Very nice reading on your acquiring rich vocabulary and winning essay competition. Belated congratulations. Dad is dad always - yours or mine.
    4. I wish I had included in the post the following:
    In case pencil not readily available especially you read and travel you can use thumb nail to Mark the relevant portion for which you may refer to dictionary later at home.”

Regards.
    God bless

4. Thyagarajan

:hello:Am glad that it reminded of your beloved brother of virtues.
    2, your notes provided a hint on writing about buying skills learnt from others and dad.
    3. It may not be out of place to thank you here for nominating as your FIRST nomination for current month July 2019.

Thanks and Regards.

God lends succour through siblings.

5. Thyagarajan

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

"Communication is to express and not to impress" are the words of wisdom from my English Professor. He used to say, "Short enough to attract attention and long enough to cover the subject".

Thank God Telegrams are no longer in force. Sometimes, it is life and death issue how it used to be delivered.

My father also used to ask me to read aloud to correct my pronunciation. Perhaps, that is how they learned to pronounce words right in their life time.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Adharv

Adharv Gold IL'ite

Very much true sir and as always impressed with your write up and your dad's assistance :worship2: Awesome!!

Thank you for the share.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

In a social forum full of girls, from a patriarchal society & culture, that has to be pointed out.
    This punchline is so succinct:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Thyagarajan sir,

Your post brought a smile and memories as well! Yesterday while getting my car oil change done, I was reading a news paper - missing the habit, feeling a little nostalgic and making a mental note to maybe I should subscribe to one again! Then after that, I pick up my DD and she goes "Okay mom, I need to quiz you on your vocabulary today. Let's see how many of the texting abbreviations you know" and went systematically asking me starting with "LOL". Needless to say, I failed and badly!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

:hello:thank you.
    oh my. Children of today. If only at their age I was less than half intelligent than thinks for me would have been totally different. A sea of change in children of today .they are ever agile and move intelligently. I agree with her checking your vocab once in a while.
    Regards.