1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You Are What You Think - Valarppom Thannambikkai - 12

Discussion in 'Sundays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 20, 2007.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Re: -1 from my FB Outstanding.

Dear Vashini,
    Please accept my heartfelt apologies as I completely missed out your post. Sorry, Vashini.
    My grandmother used to say the same thing your Guruji said in a different way.
    As children when we swore or used a bad word (we were not even allowed to use the word "sathiyam") she used to say that the Devas are constantly repeating the mantra, thathaasthu. (meaning let it happen) so whatever we say - a blessing or a curse - is bound to be endorsed by the Devas. So we should be careful with whatever we say or think.
    I am happy that your Guruji has has such an impact on you and has made you optimistic in your life. My book Nambikkai Tharum Thannambikkai contains an article on the research done on what we call as luck. The sum and substance of that research is that what we call as luck is just a manifestation of our positive thinking.
    And thanks for the nice words you have about my story.
    love,
    sridhar

2. meenakshirajan

meenakshirajan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    So kind of you to give such a Thannambikai. I very well agree with you, Sridhar. Our thoughts have very strong influences in our life. I should really thank God for whatever and however I am now and it is all because of Positive thinking. Thanks once again.
    Love,
    Meenakshi

3. varalotti

Dear Meenakshi,
    Thanks for such a loving fb long after I posted this piece. You are right. Our thoughts are the single largest influencing factor in our lives. Many times we hear the words, your attitude determines your altitude.

It took several years of psychological research for the modern world to come up with something like that.

Whereas our Aiyan Thiruvalluvan said it in crisp words

வெள்ளத்தனைய மலர் நீட்டம் மாந்தர் தம்
    உள்ளத்தனைய உயர்வு

He asks us to look at the lotus flower floating in the water. Its height is directly dependent on the water level in the pond. Similarly the heights reached by a man depend on the level of his thoughts.

And my dear friend, absolutely sorry for the delay in response.
    love,
    sridhar

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sridhar Sir

I needed this dose of advise today...terribly going through a bad day emotionally....thanks again for writing such a wonderful way

Don’t let anybody sow the seeds of fear in you. Train yourselves to think, to imagine, to visualise good things constantly. There is no surer road to success and happiness.

5. varalotti

Srividya,
    Everybody has his or her share of good and bad days. The knack of successful living is to erase all the memories of bad days and think over the good days again and again.
    let's say you watch a very good movie like Abiyum Naanum or Mozhi. You go to the theatre to see it again and again. Or try to get the cd to watch it as many times as possible.
    On the other hand if you see a bad movie you don't even sit through the full movie. You walk out of the theatre when you feel that the movie is unbearable.
    Adopt the same attitude to life. Relive the good days and forget the bad ones.
    love,
    sridhar

6. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

dear varalotti,
    i really enjoyed reading this...thanks for posting it in english.

lakshmi.

7. varalotti

You are welcome, Lakshmi.
    sridhar

8. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridharji,

I am still a bit lost in IL and am slowly finding my feet. I was thinking - 4 months in IL and I am still a novice, while so many who seemed to have joined at about the same time or maybe even later already have several 100 posts to their credit. What is wrong with me?
    Then I pinched myself and told myself, " Usha, dont let anyone or anything psyche you out. Do this exploring at your own pace " and just then came across this thread. Wonderful!
    Very true! I too strongly believe in the power of positive thinking. And not only that very often when I pray and believe only in the positive outcome without giving room for the negatives, my wishes are answered. If they dont get answered then ,I believe it was not good for me and dont fret or feel upset.

Thank you,
    Regards,
    Usha

9. varalotti

Dear Usha,

Whether it is studying or growing up or falling in love or earning money, everybody has to do that in his or her own pace. Hurrying up the process will only make it ineffective and also affect the person's health.

These were a series of 20 essays which appeared in the popular Dinamalar daily newspaper. Which I later made into a book under the title Nambikkai Tharum Thannambikkai.

I am happy you found the piece interesting.
    sridhar

10. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite