1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You Are Missing In My Heart!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by Rajeni, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Thanks dear Vanathi!! Lets see Abhi's potential ;)

Sweetynila likes this.
  2. Rajeni

Thanks dear Aarthi!! Flashbacks will be flashed when the appropriate time comes :D

3. Rajeni

Zillion thanks for this wonderful FB too, Lata!!

4. Rajeni

Thanks ritz!! such a heart-warming FB!! If you can read Tamil, I have my other stories in regional languages forum!!

5. Rajeni

Thanks a lot dear Suzanne! Glad to receive your first post in IL as my FB!!

6. Rajeni

Thanks Theindiansun!! Glad that you like the story!! Keep reading

7. Rajeni

Aww! Thanks dear. With this amount of encouragement, I am hopeful that one day I will reach there!

8. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

Hunt..I am not sure though..But I would definitely haunt you .. and
    :confundio1::flushed::sob::sob::sob:
    I thought next part is posted...

--PS

Rajeni likes this.
  9. Rajeni

Sorry for disappointing you, PS. Here is the next part..

10. Rajeni

Part 22:

Nithyavasan’s friend, Raghavan was a pleasant man with cheerful manners and his wife Rekha was a shy and soft-spoken woman. Both of them welcomed Nethra and also Abhinay with great happiness. “It has been decades since I saw you! You were a child then. In fact, it has been years since I saw your father itself, but we have managed to be in touch always!”, Raghavan greeted her and said in a booming voice.

“Thanks Uncle! And sorry for troubling you”, Nethra said as she and Abhinay sat on the sofa opposite to Raghavan. She felt a little uncomfortable to be in a new place with new people, even if they were her father’s friends.

“Oh come on Nethra! Vasu’s daughter is like my own daughter. So, please feel at home. Moreover, we both are old souls, living alone, killing our time expecting our Son’s occasional visits. Honestly, your coming is a blessing for us”, said Raghavan and Rekha nodded, smiling at Nethra affectionately.

After chatting with Raghavan for some time, Abhinay stood up to leave, thanking the elders for their hospitality. Nethra accompanied him out to see him off.

“Nethra”, he called standing near his car and in response Nethra’s pulse rate increased, ‘what is he going to say now?’ she thought nervously.

“Anything, just give me a call. Ok? If you find anything suspicious around you, even if it’s very small, call me. Please don’t be careless!” he said, his voice full of concern. The expression on his face, qualified for someone bidding farewell in an International Airport.

She just nodded, her anger failing before his care.

His house looked so dull and empty to Abhinay. The entire house carried her memories. The empty chair at the dining table where she usually sat, the sofa where she awkwardly slept, one side of Samyuktha’s bed and the historically important balcony, everything reminded of her. ‘She was here for just two days’ he told himself. One moment he felt that her stay was very short, that he did not even begin to enjoy her presence, yet, the next moment it was like she had been there forever and he had never lived a single day in the house without her! ‘Is this how missing someone feels?’ he wondered.

Adding to that, the dark fears, which took a back seat when she was within his eyesight, became dominant and worried him. He thought about her ransacked house and the danger that she was still in. He made a mental note to call Arjun and figure out ways to speed up the case. Lost in his thoughts, he retired into his room.

Samyuktha, from the living room, watched her son and the worried knot on his brows. Her lips curved in a knowing smile.

Nethra arranged her clothes in the guestroom wardrobe. Though both Raghavan and Rekha are warm and affectionate, Nethra felt a little odd and uneasy to be their guest and stay there for god-only-knows-how-long. The silence of the house irked her. She remembered with astonishment that she did not feel so much uneasiness at Abhinay’s place. She remembered Samyuktha’s bubbly welcome and how she, understanding her, asked her to sleep in her room. She intentionally pushed away all the thoughts involving Abhinay, but she could not help but wonder how she never felt uncomfortable at his place. She smiled thinking of Arundati and her charming nature. ‘Was I there only for just two days? So many things happened’, she sighed and again not wanting to go into the details of what happened, she hurriedly and randomly picked a book from her collection to read and without even paying enough attention to the title she jumped to the book marked page and began reading,

“…..In an hurried manner he immediately began an enquiry after her health, imputing his visit to a wish of hearing that she were better. She answered him with cold civility. He sat down for a few moments, and then getting up, walked about the room.Elizabethwas surprised, but said not a word. After a silence of several minutes, he came towards her in an agitated manner, and thus began,

“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”…”

She slammed the book shut and rolled her eyes. It was the renowned proposal of Mr.Darcy to Elizabeth in ‘Pride and Prejudice’. “I do not want you to go”, Abhinay’s soft yet determined voice echoed in her ears. “Don’t you have any other book to read?” she cursed. Tossing the book on the bed, she checked the time; it was 10 PM. She remembered that she did not call Arjun after coming here. She spoke to her parents when Raghavan himself dialed his friend and announced her arrival, but she missed to talk to Arjun. She dialed his number and waited.

“Yes Madam! Finally, you found time to call me?” his voice did not have its usual playful texture but a tint of anger in his sarcasm.

“Sorry Aju! I.. I dunno.. I forgot..” she answered timidly.

“You forgot.. That I could see. At least till the case is sorted out, please take your precious time and keep me informed about your whereabouts!” he said sharply.

This sharp response from her friend pricked the balloon of her suppressed emotions and her eyes welled up as she spoke, “Not required at all. Why are you bothering yourself with my safety.. leave it.. let me face what I have to face..”, she said and Arjun interrupted her before she could finish.

“Shut up Neethu ma.. what crap are you talking?” he said angrily and then, realizing her broken voice, continued, “Neethu.. are you crying? This is stupid Neethu ma... What happened now?” concern replacing his anger, he asked in a consoling tone.

“You only! Why are you like this?” she accused amidst her sniffles.

“What?! I am sitting her miles away.. every minute worried about your safety and you didn’t even think about informing me when you moved to this place.. Abhinay, who was just introduced a couple of days ago, had the courtesy to inform me post dropping you there, but my Neethu didn’t care to do so! so, how did you expect me to react Madam?”, he asked.

“Oh! Like a good boy, he called you, is it?” she grumbled.

“What?” Arjun asked.

“Nothing”, she said, but he heard what she said the first time and bit his lower lip as his brows knotted thoughtfully.

She continued, “Forgot means, does it mean I forgot you? It’s a new place and though these people are known to my parents and they are indeed nice, I don’t know them at all. Can you understand how uncomfortable that would be? And, the worst part is I don’t even know how long I should be here or whether I need to run from here as well to some other place.. its frustrating.. and you know what is more frustrating? Having to explain all this to someone, whom you thought would understand without saying!”

“Uff.. Neethu.. do you think I don’t understand all this.. but, tell me this? Do you not like there at Mr.Raghavan’s place?” he asked seriously.

“It’s not that I am don’t like.. I haven’t been here enough to form an opinion.. I am just a little uncomfortable” she said.

“Is it because of that little discomfort, you are crying baby? Let me tell you something.. you better pack up and come to Chennai.. it’s better for everyone” he said.

‘Yes, it’s better for everyone!’ her mind agreed drawing a different meaning. She knew that if she went back, that would be answer enough for Abhi’s indirect proposal, no need for her to say anything to him and worry about hurting him directly. Also, she would be away from him and eventually he would get over her. ‘Better for everyone!’ she thought again, but she could not bring herself to take that decision. She could almost visualize Abhinay’s wounded expression if she chose to leave. She sat there frowning.

“Hello.. hello.. Mic testing!!” Arjun called aloud.

“Hmm.. Aju..” she answered breaking her thoughts.

“What started sleeping uh? I asked you something..” he reminded.

“I answered that already.. when you were here Aju”, she said.

“Of course! And, if that still remains unaltered, then please stop over thinking and take things easy and be a brave girl!” he said.

“I am being brave only! You only scolded me and made me cry!” she pouted.

“Exactly Madam! Exactly!” he said laughing and after a few minutes of normal chatting they finished their call and Nethra lied on the bed closing her eyes, waiting for sleep to embrace her.

She was tired due to the previous sleepless night and all the emotional stress; her eyelids grew heavy in no time. As she was drifting off to sleep, a part of her mind revolted against it, trying to convey something, which was muffled by the sleep. She wanted to brush it off and sleep, but her intuition said it’s something important. She opened her eyes with great effort, concentrating and there came Arundati’s voice, as clear as she was sitting near her, 'Your hair is very long and beautiful Nethra.. isn’t it Abhi?'

Nethra sat up immediately, realization dawning on her. Her mind replayed the entire scene. Arundati’s mischievous look at her brother as she asked this. Abhinay’s embarrassment and stammering and the warning glance he threw at his sister. All the details, which she missed to process but subconsciously noticed, conveyed a new meaning now. ‘Why would she make such comments at me involving her brother, if he was engaged to someone else?’ she reasoned. ‘Does that mean she meant me when she said Anni? Does that mean she conveyed her opinion about me after meeting me?’ she questioned and her heart raced as she thought.

(Contd.)