1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

You ‘look’ Just The Same

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Aug 13, 2018.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

You ‘Look’ just the same

She has heard this too many times recently from her distant cousins, relatives and friends. She happen to meet her school friends and some relatives after decades and the first thing she heard was “You look just the same” . How do you manage to do that? Her friend said it makes us feel that we all are young too when we look at you. But only when we glance in the mirror we notice how we have changed over the years. Not to mention they all looked stunningly gorgeous and beautiful.

She is one ordinary looking person who hardly looks at the mirror or spends too much time at the dressing table. When she heard this again “You ‘Look’ just the same”, she looked herself in the mirror. There were few silver strands here and there on her thinning hair. She probably had put on at least 10 kgs from school days. She dressed the same way she used to. Her clothes were always too simple even from school days. She carried her father’s looks and not the beauty of her mother. She has never used much make-up too. She is not into fitness or dieting. She just does what everyone does. Some minimum exercise and eating healthy.

She had her own struggles with life. Fate did bring in lots of challenges to handle. Many times she failed life’s tests. Every fall was a lesson to learn and she moved on learning her lessons. The only thing that changed in her was the confidence she gained with every fall. The confidence to rise up again and walk as if she was unscratched from the life’s events. Other than that she was the same person at heart too, who loved to be with people be it family or friends who always wanted to be cheerful and who was still sensitive.

Maybe she was just being the same with people and when she met them even after decades. She was not worried about her own or other’s social status. Other’s achievements or her failures never mattered. She had no hesitation to talk and she picked conversations as if she had just spoken to them yesterday. Whatever the reason that made others feel that “She looked the same and moved the same with them” did bring a smile to her face and heart. Maybe few more years down the road she might not look the same but she will still be the same person at heart loving and caring for people in her life. When I meet her next time, I will remember to tell her the same.

Amica, sindmani, ILoveTulips and 15 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good one, my dear no-consonants friend. : )
    Could relate to each observation. Well, kind of. Better half gets the "you look just the same" compliment. I get the almost equivalent, "you are still the same". : )

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Rihana ! ha ha when wife is still the same Better half will look the same isn't it? That's what her friends too told her ;) Glad you could relate it too!

4. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Very well written, Lakshmi @jskls.
    I too have received this comment. Perhaps it means our behaviours and ways have not been affected by the changes in our social standings. I think it is a big compliment.

Thyagarajan and jskls like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Very lovely @jskls
    I am going to meet my school friend after many years this upcoming weekend. Now I am curious to what she will say. Will share it with you. :)

Thyagarajan, jskls and girvani like this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

She gets this observation too. She goes, looks into the mirror. The swollen eyes, the grey hair tell a different story. She looks at old pictures and is shocked at the change wrought by time.

She thinks of her life a few decades ago, surrounded by parents, family and friends and thinks of her life of relative isolation except for work and home. She has gotten used to being alone, so much so that it is an effort to socialize and she always feels relieved to return to the isolation of her own room. She used to love being surrounded by people.

Then she sits down to dream, blow mental bubbles and to write. And the truth in the statement comes back. She has not changed all that much after all. :)

sindmani, Thyagarajan, jskls and 4 others like this.
  7. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jskls,

Very well written and I can connect to this very well. It's more than the physical appearance, what we feel inside. As long as we keep that young and unwavered we will still be 16.

Vani

Thyagarajan and jskls like this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I asked 'Mirror, mirror on wall, who is the ugliest of them all?'
    It showed my image
    I asked again 'Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fattest of them all?'
    It showed my image again.
    I started again 'Mirror, mirror on the wall' and before I could finish my question, the mirror said 'For God's sake, Will you shut up?'
    The mirror knew I was fishing for compliments!

Thyagarajan, jskls and satchitananda like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Lakshmi,

I wish I could get that complement at the age of 64. I used to have a big mustache when I was young and had the habit of rubbing it when I think deeply. People used to get intimidated thinking that I was threatening them. Now, after migrating to the US, I have removed my mustache. I have lost most of my hair in the head and whatever remains turned white. I used to have brilliant sense of humor when I was young but I lost it as I learned very hard lessons in life. I used to be filled with anger when I was young but now I have mellowed down a lot. Other than education, I used to fill my entire day with a lot of fun but now I fill my day with a lot of thoughts about the life and its purpose other than my work schedule.

I had watched Bobby 5 times because I liked Dimple Kapadia so much when I was young and now I can't even watch a full movie with patience once. I used to chant a lot of different Mantras when I was young and also used to attend religious discourses but I barely know any of those chants now and I only source all religious and spiritual information from the books. I used to be very thin and played at least two hours (badminton, shuttle, cricket, table tennis, etc.) but I do very little exercise other than my walks and definitely added a lot of weight. I used to play carom board and chess regularly but now I don't have those skills. When I went to college, to break the barrier of acceptance by friends, I had picked up some bad habits like smoking, eating dishes I was not supposed to eat, etc. but better sense prevailed later in my life.

The first think most people say if I meet them after 2-3 decades was, "Had you not told me who you were, I wouldn't have guessed you". My appearance, demeanor, way of talking, habits, hobby, etc. changed dramatically but only thing that remains constant is my simplicity that I had learned by observing my father.

Viswa

10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra
    Dear Viswa
    A lady once told me that I was as graceful as Mother Teresa. If she had told me this at my early sixties, I might have got annoyed. In my late seventies I think of it as a great compliment. I can only talk of my inner beauty these days!
    Sri