1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yogi versus Karmachari

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

When I studied Business Management course in Mumbai, we had a special lecture by the renowned management expert at that time, Prof. Rangnekar. What he told about working people is universal I find after coming to work in U.S.

According to Prof. Rangnekar, working people can be classified into two categories, Yogis and Karmacharis.

Yogis are people who take initiatives, can take their own decisions and may not be afraid to question the boss if he is wrong. At the same time, they are loyal and obedient also.

Karmacharis are people who can't take initiatives, can't take their own decisions and will do blindly what the boss wants them to do.

Now, at the time of recruitments and assessment interviews for promotions the committees test the candidate whether he can be a yogi. But, after selection for the job or promotion he is expected to become a Karmachari.

I am happy that I have been a yogi all along. But, I have suffered for being a yogi also. In BARC, our group leader used to call for a meeting to discuss about new projects. Invariably, I used to give my ideas which were not liked by the group leader as he was supposed to give ideas. Some of my Karmachari colleagues used to say to him,' Sir, we don't have ideas, but we will do whatever you ask us to do'. Time has shown that being a yogi may bring temporary problems, but in the long run it will help a person to go up in career.

Regards,

TDU

2. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear TDU,

This is a very thought provoking one.... I agree with you that being a yogi, though in the short run you may have to face problems but in the long run it helps you a lot...

Being in accounts I have faced real tough situations... Always I land up in cleaning and formulating systems & procedures job... At the time of implementation of systems, being too honest & straightforward, the resistance to change was very high and has to antagonise lot of people....

But today, the organisation has benefited and I have also grown along with that....

Veda

3. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

Hi TDU sir,
    What you pointed out is very true. Being a yogi & that too in the early stages of career is rather a difficult task. Though superiors lay their eyes on yogis and appreciate their talent, they cannot digest the same if they think you are are exceeding them. I have been mostly a karmachari until now, but slowly changing my attitude (i was a very shy & inferior person, but now trying to come out of it mainly becoz of my husband's support). My husband is a yogi at work and he too faced the wrath of his collegues and superiors. He faced a lot of emotional disturbance and there are even instances where he thought of switching to another company. But we finally discovered that it happens everywhere and the only solution is to tackle the situation smartly.

Sravanthi

4. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

TDU Sir,

It’s very true. Even I was Yogi ..I was never yes Boss type..But I could see lot of Karmacharis, They think if they won't say yes boss they will be under bad books with boss. But that’s not at all ture..I was a Database Analyst along with three others in the group we had lot of difficulties with the DBA..but some of my other colleagues used to keep on complaining about DBA in our lunch breaks or when they get a chance but when the time comes to talk in the weekly meetings they just don’t utter a word..most of the time I used to talk about issues with dba also tell the same to the boss. My policy was as long is I do my work perfectly.. I need not get scared to raise my opinions...

Tulasi

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

TDu Sir
    Interesting writeup about the different personalities. esp reflected at work. i'm sure everyone can relate to one or another.Both will either have positive and negative qualities. but well written. as always the replies are interesting too.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Raman sir,

Good observation....to be a yogi is to do a penance be it life..or be it at work.......which sometimes though hard.. is fruitful and satisfying at the end.......

7. Tamildownunder

Dear Veda,

I am glad to know that you are also an yogi. In fact, in my opinion all are yogis or want to be yogis, but circumstances force them to become karmacharis. In BARC we have a grade of workers called Tradesmen who are educated in some trades called ITI (not IIT). They generally work as supportive staff and will not be included in any scientific discussions. I had a marathi tradesman colleague who I found very intelligent and can give innovative ideas, he was highly inquisitive etc. During one of my scientific talk I mentioned about him and commended his work. He was so happy. But, my boss called me and advised me not to mention tradesman's names in scientific forums. I strongly disagreed with him and got into problems. But, I had the great satisfaction that I could bring out the yogi hidden in a lower class employee who was forced to be a karmachari only.

Regards,

TDU

8. Tamildownunder

Dear Sravanthi,

You are absolutely right that in the early stages of one's career it is difficult to be an Yogi. But, unfortunately I feel it is the prime time one can contribute a lot by innovation. This fact is slowly dawning on the higher-ups in many organisations. 'Catch 'em young' is the phrase and young people are encouraged to be yogis now.

Regards,

TDU

9. Tamildownunder

Dear Tulasi,

What you have described is a typical scene in all Indian offices. It is true that not only it is difficult to be an Yogi, but also you have to guard against the colleagues who are out and out karmacharis. I had a sardarji colleague who used to brag to us during lunch time that he had defied the boss since he was uttering nonsense. Some people even used to treat him asa hero. But, in one of our meetings with the boss we found out that how meek and surrendering to the boss he was. We all had a laugh later on his dialogue to the boss 'Boss,whatever you say is correct'. The boss on his part said ' Don't agree with me blindly. Just because I say the sun rises in the east and that happens to be correct what all I say is not correct'. Both were great actors.

Regards,

TDU

10. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sir,

It is a true comparision between modern management roles and ancient philosophy ones.