1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga Instructor As Hobby

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by ChennaiExpress, Oct 22, 2016.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

One day, I wish to be certified Yoga instructor and teach classes as a hobby.

It will be fun, teaching people, inspiring and encouraging one another
    Will motivate me to stay healthy, strong and flexible for whole life (health is wealth)

Please recommend course of action. Once I am secure in job, perhaps I will get sabbatical for training.

Just thinking of ideas.

Thank you!

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Srama - Can you share some tips on how to train to be a yoga instructor?

Srama likes this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@ChennaiExpress,

Sorry it took me forever! @Laks09 - thank you for tagging me!

Now, CE there are many studios that offer a 200 hour yoga teacher training program. I would urge you to keep in mind and then choose the studio that suits you best. Are you interested in just Asana? Do you want philosophy as well? Do you want Sanskrit? Check the studio and find out the teachers who teach the course. find their expertise. Some are masters in asana, some in anatomy, some in Sanskrit etc. Also the studios that offer the program should be a member of yoga alliance Many Paths, One Yoga Alliance | Yoga Alliance

For eg., I wanted to understand yoga from anatomical perspective and at the same time I am very interested in yoga philosophy. I was fortunate to find a studio that was offering the same to a certain extent. I also wanted a teacher who knew some Sanskrit and who was exposed to Hinduism from culture perspective - you know one who can tell some stories from our mythologies, relate to yoga sutras at a deeper level both from explanation and Sanskrit perspective yet know about asana well. Tall order right? What happened while I got a few of those from the teacher training itself, i was also fortunate to meet some incredible people who brought in the other aspects. So all in all, it was a great experience. Now I want to do 500 hour but I need a teacher who is a better expert in Sanskrit along with Asana. So I am sitting tight with some self study.

Good luck! If you need more info, do let me know.

Laks09, ChennaiExpress and Rihana like this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

Thank you for all this great info!

Honestly, I'm interested in a lot of things. Eventually, I'd like to learn Sanskrit.

Wow, I'll just focus on the anatomical perspective and go from there!

Laks09 and Srama like this.
  5. ChennaiExpress

Hoping job settles in the next year or so.

Leaning towards yoga from anatomical and philosophical perspective. As of now, I can do 108 Surya Namaskars in a stretch.

After all, it's harmony of mind-body-spirit that we truly seek.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  6. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev has some good perspectives on Yoga. You can look him up.

His books: http://gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?re...open=0&view=simple&res=25&phrase=1&column=def

You can join his Isha Foundation, learn yoga there and teach it to others.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    ChennaiExpress likes this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

Thank you, I shall research this.

Umanga likes this.