1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga...how To Learn The Right Way?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by anika987, Aug 18, 2018.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Hi everyone,

I am very interested in yoga and took a three month everyday class on my India trip.Came back to USA and practice the poses,learn from YouTube and also go to yoga centers.However, sometimes feel In the yoga centers,I join the class and they teach the poses but they don’t correct it or anything.Its more like you are on your own.

I have few questions for avid yoga learners or trainers out here..

1) can we do yoga everyday in addition to gym?

2) There are so many poses.If I take a particular pose,should i finish learning the pose and then get to the next one?

3) how come many are doing each and every pose?especially the Americans?they are too good.

4) first I believe is to get the flexibility.So should I keep doing all the beginner asanas until I get to flexibility and then go to intermediate?
    Or can I club it?

5) what is RYS 200? Do we need to be really good to take it up?

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I have learnt yoga since I was 7 years old n many years, and practised on n off in adulthood. Recently practised under a lady a year ago or so who is a certified instructor. Sharing based on that.

I have personally not done or seen anyone hitting the gym everyday if they are practicing yoga everyday as well. Fun sports like swimming or running is different, that too not every single day.

The instructors recommend one day break in a week.
    Break of 2-3 days during menstrual period.
    Break when sick
    and also on full moon day (it’s proven that our body is a lil off Balance it seems n can hurt ourselves).
    The point is not to overwork or hurt the body n give it a break when needed or you can’t reap the benefits.

Don’t move on to the second asana till you are atleast 70% good with the first one. Move on to the third asana after you are atleast 90% good with the first one.

Flexibility differs person to person, for example am super flexible with asanas that are floor based whereas my friend next to me can’t do it but she is very good at standing ones, so it differs. We can’t do everything perfectly. So as long as you are 70-90% there, move to another one. Try to focus on your posture n doing it “right” even if you can reach only half way, it gets better with practise.