1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga for You - All about YOGA

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by prathi, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Re: Which is better-Doing yoga or Walking

yoga and walk both are highly advantageous

Yoga brings the mind to peace and it shoul dnever be done in haste but always when time allows you to do it...

walking is good as it helps in some sort of physical activity...

I have been working out for years and have recently started exploring Yoga... in a few months time i can tell you how it has helped me...

~Abha

2. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

Hi kanaka,
    I heard from my gym both are good. I do walking & jogging type of exercises..

Srilak, your post on yoga made me laugh. you are not alone, you can count me too. In the gym they offer classes for yoga & pilates too. but for some reason I could never focus. Just my mind would be wondering on different things like you said..

Tulasi

3. winningalways

winningalways New IL'ite

Thanks dear friends, the sole aim of mine for the last few days has been to get back in shape. I was always aware of the benefits of walking but was not particularly aware of the yoga benefits. Not that I did not hear about it but was wanting to know about it more specifically. Now that my thirst to know about this has been quenched I too would like to start on both to achieve my goals, wish me luck!:p

4. rashmigirish

rashmigirish New IL'ite

Hi All,

Both are good for health....

Yoga is good if you learn some breathing excercise, doing yoga your body become more flexible.. even your concentration power increases when you do breathing excercises..
    Walking is also good exersice you can enjoy the nature around you..

I would perfer both, as they are good in their own ways.. i am trying to do both but not able to do regularly..
    Wat ever you do enjoy it :smile: ..

Regards,

Rashmi

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Both are very good exercises. I like walking because i exert myself more but yoga helps to stretch and tone all parts of the body.

6. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

I think both are very good for you. Both make you feel energetic and stress free, light and refreshing. But, normally I walk more coz I seem to enjoy it more.

7. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Walking briskly is preferred by many, to yoga 'cos while walking mind wanders, looks at scenery, can chat with friend while walking ---- so you don't feel that you are exercising.

Yoga needs calm surroundings, with minimal disturbance to focus more on the internal physical / mental body . People wrongly assume that it is boring, slow etc. but even one asana done just for a few days gives immense benefits. The many benefits are internal like strengthening bones, or stimulating glands properly etc. So they are not visible outwardly like the sweating, little breathlessness and flushed cheeks visible during walking.

To help mind focus more on the self while doing yoga & prevent it from straying to mundane routine topics, playing music while doing the asanas is a huge help ! Not 'Macarena' of course ;; but mild instrumental like Chaurasia's flute or Shivkumar Sharma's santoor create and maintain the mood for yoga.

I do yoga in early morning, before kid wakes up and walking in the evenings or when I need to do some thinking or someone makes me ......:evil:

8. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi

i like walking... alone with my i-pod..... i like watching around me. walking clears the mind as well as the body. and as for the yoga... i think u have to be supple for do it.

take care

9. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

No, you needn't be flexible to do yoga ---- in fact, yoga makes you flexible. Even a person stiff as a board with regular yoga, becomes flexible ; anybody can start with surya namaskar, not exerting too much & bending/stretching only as much as their body will do ........ after initial 3 days itself, you can notice how the body bends more than before !
    Initially if you can do just one surya namaskar also, it's perfectly fine ; just continue and by the end of the week , your body will superbly respond .
    Nothing to beat yoga .....:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: if you follow yoga, you'll never fall sick .

10. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Need to Know about PRANAYAM..........

Hi Frds,

I tried to find some good breathing exercise/yoga specifically for breathlessness and pain in my chest.
    I think due to insufficient ventilation in AC rooms, I have developed this type of pain.
    Could anyone please tell me the proper way of doing PRANAYAM, I heard that this kind of breathing exercise is good for the health.
    Thank you in advance.