1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Yet Another Day Of Grouch And Truce!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@shyamala1234
    My dear Syamala
    When I was young and newly married, whenever we went out, the elders would smile at us indulgently as if to say 'Have a great time!' But when we go out now, my daughters keep looking at the door with anxiety! The eflux of time, I tell you! When people reach our age, others don't ask 'Where have the couple gone?' but they just refer to us as 'Where have they gone?'
    That's the problem for impulsive whistlers like me. We have no control over our whistling. There are full time concerts by whistlers too.
    Slokas and Wodehouse are alike for me. Slokas take away baneful thoughts from your mind and I get so engrossed with Wodehouse that keeps me away from sinning!
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  2. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir,

You just made my day. I am laughing my heart out. Whistling, sighing, and trying to chant the mantra. It certainly creates a fusion and the goddess Lakshmi is having a ball by looking at you. Please send me some Modakas if aunty permits. When I grew up I didn't know about this Vrata hence I don't fast. Since I have eaten my breakfast already, I can't fast. But I will convey my sincere prayers to Mata to keep my husband in good health and inner peace.:banana:
    Vani

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

@Tamrakshar
    Decades back, when people were practicing singing, they were made to stand in neck deep ponds and sing. There are no ponds now and people are forced to hone their singing skill in toilets. There is the problem though like what Ashok Kumar faced in the movie Jhoola. You can see how the cold water increases the tempo of his singing!

This is the problem. There would have been a million more singers in the world but for these jealous neighbours. 'Live and let live' must be re-written as 'Sing and let sing'
    Right now we are on a song no matter what the neighbours say!

Thyagarajan and Tamrakshar like this.
  4. Cheeniya

@PavithraS
    Dear Pavithra
    Thanks a lot for your opening wishes and we wish you well too.
    When I was a kid, I used to play snakes and ladder with my mum to keep awake on the night of Vaikunta Ehadasi and Sivarathri. A few years later, we started seeing midnight shows in theaters for the same purpose. Now we see serials in TV and when they are over, we start snoring merrily. Thus life style changes from time to time but the habit of whistling stays put. It is the quality of senile whistling that lands us in trouble. But we are 'bravehearts'. Nothing is going to make us stop whistling.
    There was one fascinating musician who never failed to capture my heart. He was with a shaven front head but the back of the head was a treat to watch.
    MD Ramanathan for you!
    [​IMG]

Thank you for cautioning me. I corrected it before anyone else could notice it. Thanks!
    Sri

Thyagarajan and PavithraS like this.
  5. Cheeniya

@girvani
    Dear Vani
    Feasting and fasting have different effects. Fasting may keep our mind quiet but starts a big battle inside the stomach. Feasting keeps our stomach happy and resting but denies our mind any peace by refusing to let us sleep.
    I am happy you enjoyed my rambling
    Sri

Thyagarajan and girvani like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Really sir? I might have to wait for years to experience this.

Talk of fasting, I start eating more the moment the thought enters my mind! For now, a feast keeps my mind and stomach happy!!

Thyagarajan and girvani like this.
  7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Looks like you have had a hearty fill of all those modakams and Vadas, looking at the most funny replies you are giving for the humorous FBs.
    I personally feel that, all those people who served the banks, always have their lifetime blessings award from Goddess Mahalakshmi. So no need to evoke her by chanting slokas.
    We never had the freedom to whistle or even bathroom singing, during our teenage days, lest the road side romeos stand in queues, waiting for hands.
    I remember those days where we used to wait for Ananda Vikatan weekly for its romantic serials by Manian, Kumudam for its ghost serials minnal mazhai, mohini by Jawar Seetharaman, kalkandu for Thamizhvanan serials- the list is endless. All the magazines I read was OC. And those wonderful sketches by Jay- simply amazing!
    Anyway, enjoyed your ramblings very much and now I am going to chant Lakshmi sahasranamam to invoke her and shower the entire universe with her blessings!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@Agatha83
    My dear Agatha
    Yesterday my wife and I had a long discussion about a subject that had been constantly engaging my thoughts. When she makes vada, it is really very delicious when taken piping hot. As it gets colder, it not only looses its taste but gets very hard to chew. So I normally soak it in the 'rasum' for a couple of hours. My wife tells me that the vada is not to be blamed but my worn out teeth that makes the vasda hard. Then after the efflux of considerable time, I took out a vada and tried to take a piece off it with my fingers and it was quite a battle. 'There you are!' I told her triumphantly.
    By the way, I am told that the hotels make a dish called 'vadacurri' with the unsold vadas of the previous day.
    There may be something in what you say but I know for certain that Lakshmi's blessings get completely nullified by the curses of the customers. In order to make our customers feel elated, we have this quote of Gandhiji in all our branches:
    "A customer is the most important visitor on our premises. He is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so"
    This board irritates our customers a lot more. A customer once told me that he truly appreciated our sense of humour!
    The roadside romeos continue to exist but not in roads but swank coffee shops. We are indeed progressing!
    Ah Tamilvanan! Who can forget his character Sankarlal and his two assistants Kathirikkai and Manickam?
    Thank you for the very apt song of MSS amma
    Sri

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

After reading Cheeniya's chit chat with his better half, I am hugely amused and can assure him that it is no use taking any lafda (fight) with her particularly at elderly age when even a invite to shopping at Tanisq will not work. The safest bet is surrender he did.

Viswamitra, Cheeniya and shyamala1234 like this.
  10. Cheeniya

@HariLakhera
    You are telling me! When I decide to surrender I just don't surrender meekly. I surrender with the sloka 'anyatha saranam naasrhi twameva saranam mama"