1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Writing Skills" by Sharada

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Induslady, Oct 24, 2005.

1. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

That was inspiring Varalotti!

Thank you very much for the wonderful inspiration. I always aspired to be a writer, somehow didnt know where to start .Your advice, was valuable! I just have one doubt to ask... moreso our of curiosity -- when you are wrting the story, i presume you would have the storyline in mind before itself. But varalotti, do you decide the ending and the flow of the story before itself or you decide it as you keep writing?

Thank you once again for the nice pep up you have given

Regards,
    Purnima

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Good Question!

Purnima, you have converted this thread into a writing class. I am very happy about it. Regarding your questions, let me tell you one thing. All these questions arise only BEFORE you start writing. The moment I hear such questions from anybody (Believe me, I have heard it from hundreds of people) I always answer them "You are yet to start writing" and get a sheepish smile in response.
    Now answering your question, it can happen any way. At times you have the entire story running in your mind and you just need to give a form to it. At times you see a news item, you hear about an incident and you are inspired to weave a story around it.
    The same question is asked of a lyricist. Do you first compose the lyric and give it to the Music Director, or you write lyrics to a pre-set tune? It can happen both ways. At times you already have the tune in you. But many times you just start writing and the tune comes in of its own.
    But if you are planning a serial or a novel, you need to have a basic plot in hand to avoid any contradictions.
    Now have you opened your pen? Started writing? all the best
    Varalotti

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi all of you,

Just a thought i would like to share after reading Sridhar's answer about how to conceive or write the story. This is more to do with my profession of dancing and not writing.
    But when i choreographed a classical dance to Mozart's music, this was the same question everyone asks me here...did u hear the music first or did you have ur steps and theme ....but to tell the truth it just happened ...one minute i was listening and the next the steps and the story line of our dear LORD KRISHNA, playing with the gopis and the kalinga mardhana sequence fitted in so beautifully, i am myself amazed at this presentation.....
    so i guess it is the same with writing, you just start when an idea hits you and if it is strong , it will carry you forward...you will feel effortless....
    I hope all the writers agree with my analysis....:?

Sharada, see where your article is leading us all....maybe you writers are going to have more competition, what with our Chitra already showing her prowess in this field....guys be warned!

regards,

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

You have hit the nail right on its head, Sudha!

Sudha, you have hit the nail on its head. The creation process is mysterious to say the least. We can't list all the possible factors and say, because all favourable factors are there, creativity has to be there. If you can have creativity bound in some rules and reasons, it is no creativity.
    As Sudha rightly said, keep the mind free and relaxed. Observe people and the incidents before you. Find out what affects you the most - either positively or negatively. Then allow the idea to sink gently into your mind. Then start writing. Write fast and complete the first draft. Then spend a lot of time in refining it in polishing it and chiselling out the words.
    Painting, writing, dancing, sculpture, music - all are the same. You want to do something. And the steps, the words, the tunes come out. Then you think this step is a little too strong, this word is one shade lighter, this colour is a little dull and go on making finer and finer corrections.
    You get the finished work.
    But at times writers are more bound by deadlines than inspiration. So we force ourselves to write. That quality is a little lower than the natural flow of words when you have all the time in the world. That's why I have been refusing all offers to write TV serials and screenplays. There you are bound by the deadline. You need to work in a group. You tend to lose your identity over time.
    But if you want to be a writer just keep writing at least for an hour a day.
    Purnima, one way of practising writing, as Chitra has successfully demonstrated is to do reviews. Read some book reviews in the news papers. Then try to review the book you love. You can also review my story. That way I can give you an immediate feedback.
    All the best, folks,
    sridhar

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Thank You Sudha, Varalotti!

I am so excited over the support i am getting from such great people!Varalotti, right now i am full fledge into "Zahir". I shall try and start my review(BUT PLEASE DONT COMPARE MY REVIEW WITH MRS CVs, hers is that of a perfectionist!!!), i shall try to give my two pence and create my review for that to start with. Then i shall go deep into Varalottis stories one by one.

Thank you Sudha and Varalotti for your precious time!

Regards,
    Purnima

6. Sharada

Sharada Senior IL'ite

Begin now!

Purnima, the countdown has begun - start writing! Don't wait for inspiration, I can assure you that writing is more about perspiration and when the words don't seem right it can seem like frustration! Don't give up. We'll tear your review apart - have just done that to Chithra's review of Varalotti's story "Flowers for a Mother." But constructive criticism should be taken in the spirit it is intended - the only intention is to help you on the ladder of improvement.
    All the best,
    Sharada

7. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Thank you Sharadha

Thank you for the nice encouragement sharada, i am half way through Zahir , i shall post my review on that soon!

Purnima