1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Habit In Children

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Nigarika, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Nigarika

Nigarika New IL'ite

Hi,

My son is 4 years old. He started writing initially with his left hand and gradually we changed him to write with his right.. But i hear some saying it should not be changed they must be left the way they are.. Could anyone please clarify about this..

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Trying to change the dominant hand of a child is supposed to psychologically affect a child in the long run. Plus the handwriting is also ruined. You could look up articles on the net pertaining to this.

3. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Meaning? Told him left is "wrong" and right is "right"??

The dominant hand of a child is decided by the child himself, and parents should never try to change what the child has chosen. I suppose he will not be able to write or draw as well now as he could have if his choice was respected.

You could have researched a lot more into this before doing such a drastic thing.

4. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

some time the kids are okay with using either hand, but are still right dominant
    Some are left dominant
    It is hard to change the dominance factor because it is related to brain
    Observe if your child is really left dominant, in some cases like I said before- they are okay with using either- but still are right dominant.
    If you are very sure if left handed kid then do not force. Remm: many US presidents are left handed- they are gifted people!! Lucky you!

KashmirFlower and momsky like this.
  5. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

What was the reason why you wanted your son to be right-handed? In my family, when they hear a child or person is left-handed, they will automatically assume the child is born very intelligent.

Amica likes this.
  6. Sc222

Sc222 Junior IL'ite

Maybe your child will become ambidextrous! Then they will have super intelligence, not jokingl

Shanvy likes this.
  7. janbie

janbie New IL'ite

Hey, don't worry! It happened to me too. Now I write with right hand, but perform my skills with both. I m an Anesthesiologist and need a reasonable amount of skill in life.... It's okay if you changed the handedness... The child will still be right hemisphere dominated .. no big deal.