1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Writing Codes, Digging Pits and Killing Mosquitoes!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Nov 24, 2011.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

I was chiding a software engineer in his mid twenties for his reckless ways of living. For him a week-end does not merely

2. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Nice post, uncle. The software engineer is an irresponsible person. And there is no excuse for call center execs who drink because they have to face abusive language from the client. But these are a minority. The majority of people working in these professions are responsible, and have good ethics.

But I still do not understand the rationale of call center execs drinking as they have to face insults..Their lot is much better than women facing abuse from close family members..and they are not even given money for their expenses. They do not take to drink!

Madurai is famous for mosquitoes as well. To solve this problem, I suggest that influential people like you get together and convince your municipality to do something longterm.

Raji

3. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    This was a great blog with a similar approach of half empty or half full glass, but the way you narrated does need a kudos. Boredom due to repetition can be really killing. But then, alas, everything is repetitive in this universe! As you rightly said, "Happiness does not come from our work but from our attitude towards our work".
    I have always been telling kids to develop some other interests in life so that when they are bored with one, they can shift to something else. One thing is sure, there is not much scope for change when it comes to job. But if we are involved in a lot of extra curricular activities like singing, painting, poetry writing, playing outdoor and indoor games, life can be fun. Instead of spending the weekends in bars and discotheques youngsters can build up some positive energy and go to work on the first day of the week without the negative effects of binge drinking. Some may wonder if everybody has the talent to develop these extra curricular skills. I am sure each one of us would be imbibed with a minimum of 3 or 4 skills which we may never have tapped. It is here that the schools must play a major role. But unfortunately, in these days of cut throat competition, children are forced to concentrate more on studies than on the finer, individual latent talents. I feel this has been one of the reasons for deterioration of youth of this generation. They have no way of letting out there frustration and get into bad habits which give them a false sense of relief.
    Now a days a lot of TV channels are giving opportunity to youngsters to prove their skills but here too cut throat competition and not being able to accept defeat seem to play spoil sport.
    This blog is a MUST READ for all the youngsters of today who are frustrated of boredom and repetitive nature of work in their offices.
    I loved the example of the eye surgeon and also your view on mosquito killing!
    Love
    Mlalthi

4. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,

That was quite a Sweet, Spicy & Salty Blog off your 'Writing-Oven' dressed up brilliantly with a dash of an amusing anecdote in Gudjieff; and some 'lavish sprinkling' of live-illustrations..in the eye-surgeon and mosquito menace!!!!

-Relished every bit of this yummy 'soup for the soul'!
    Regards & love,
    Saras

5. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

That was an great read sridhar!

This will personally help me look into myself "how much i m inline (or out of) with right attitude" towards not only the job, but also in other verticals of life.

Thank you once again for the excellent blog.

:)

6. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A timely blog for many like me sir!! Though i have started work recently (almost a year now) at times i wonder whether any of it really matters and then it makes be feel like "....whatever..... lets just get is done and over with"

reading your blog i derived a sense of purpose..... thank you sir!!

Akila

7. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

That was quite interesting to read Sridhar, and the best part was the last line. Sure, he would have kept quiet. Otherwise this suggests something very important - how our attitude should be! Thanks. -rgs ​

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Varalottiji

That was very interesting. I would have had more respect for the software engineer if only he had the basic honesty to admit that he drank for the love of drinking instead of making hollow excuses for his behaviour. I loved Raji's reply. All of IL should have been full of drunkards.

As for the respectability of other jobs, I can admit I swat flies without an iota of guilt. :-D. Afterall it keeps my home clean.

9. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sir,

You have beautifully told about the simple thought of right attitude towards the work we do ....
    Very good one...

10. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Raji,
    Thanks for being the first to comment. The idea of the blog is not to blame a whole set of people - software and BPO people. But you know when people find their work boring they try to indulge in so many things. ]
    You are right. Women undergo much more severe trials. What an average daughter-in-law has to bear is a hundred times worse than the abusive language faced by the call centre executive. But a woman, especially a house-wife, has greater bearing power than men. Of course that does not give any licence to the software engineer to be reckless.

And Raji, I am not that influential. And the system is so messed up that it is not worthwhile to attempt any steps unless you want to lose your peace of mind.
    thanks for coming in,
    sridhar