Writing an essay on caste

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Roodski, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Roodski

Roodski New IL'ite

Dear readers,

I'm currently writing a small essay(stretching til upto around 20 pages) about the caste system in (contemporary India).
    I find it really intresting to read about, but it's hard to draw a conclusion from a book written by scientists. This is one of the few forums about India that I actually found, so I thought I should just give it a try.
    I could use some pointers on where to find more information on the influence of British colonialism on the caste system and whether caste is still something that's relevant every day.
    I really need some explanitory diagrams which are difficult to find.
    Could you tell me what your experiences with caste are? I'm getting really stuck so I really need your help!:)
    Regards

Roodski

2. priya20coool

priya20coool Bronze IL'ite

Hi ROODSKI,
    You might have learnt by now that earlier caste system was not based upon people's birth, but by the profession they so. The Brahmins are poeple who do the spiritual duties to the God, the kshathrias are those who rule and fight as warriors, the vaishyas are merchants who travel to earn wealth for the country, and the shudhras who work under all the above three..

According to me, all the four above mentioned types work for the welfare of the country. It was just a simple thing. THe brahmins will keep themselves clean as they have to perform poojas. So they are eligible to go near the lord.

The kshathrias fight for the welfare of the people and they see blood and flesh which is not a good sign to be near the god. So they continue the same duty of ruling the land. In turn, keep the brahmins safe to perform for the almighty.

To do poojas, we require wealth and money. So the vaishyas do that work of earning. And since they travel, they may have dust and dirt once they come back from travel. So they just give to their own motherland whatever they bring in. And so they contribute for the finance part.

And the shudhras again. They have to aid all the above three castes in doing their duties and so they do the job of keeping their land clean by dirtying themselves.

As per my opinion, all the above four castes work for the welfare of the nation.

And just by the change of human mentality and approach towards other men made the caste system narrow down according to birth and not by profession.

If you approach a scholar called Vellukudi Krishnan who is actually spiritual, you might learn a lot. And this is his website - Kinchitkaram Trust - By Sri U. Ve. Velukkudi Krishnan Swamy

All the best.

3. Loving2011

Loving2011 Silver IL'ite

I don't know if you find this helpful, but my understanding is that caste was originally based on an equal society in Hinduism. All castes were considered dutiful, because they contributed to society. Over time, it became corrupt due to some Brahmins' influence and the british.

There's that one man that refuted Aryan Invasion theory..David something? He has some good points.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@roodski please see the following link. http://sanne.squarespace.com/storage/British%20Colonialism%20in%20India%20and%20its%20Influence%20on%20Indian%20Society.pdf

I had read couple of pages some years back. I found relevant information.

Caste is quite relevant even today in the Indian society. Caste defines (or differentiates) the way a person behaves, talks, eats etc. Your question of 'could you tell me what your experiences with caste are?' is too broad. Maybe you would like to be more specific.

5. chandu141

chandu141 Silver IL'ite

are you sure about this ???

6. chandannasta

chandannasta Silver IL'ite

According to me personally I dont think there should be a caste system only. Bcoz I am from the 21st century and today's young youth cant think about all this rubbish thing. I have seen in the news channel that they do this for achut jhat and scheduled tribes and something like that.

But y do we follow such a system and y cant we treat everyone equal. In my house even if my brooming lady comes we treat her like our own family member and ask her if she wants to drink water and eat food. We care for her bcoz she is also a human being. If we had thought like that they are low caste and we are high caste then whats the use.

Today higher caste class ppl go to american countries and wash their bathrooms and clean up their potties and everything bcoz they get highly paid over there. Then where this caste goes. Y dont their panchayat heads think abt that then when their village person in America is doing all this stuff.

Y is there always a discrimination for boys and gals marraiges between gotra and all that kinda thing. We are living in cities and so we dont care abt it but there are still many villages in India where such things are going on and we need to end this up by giving them proper education and making them aware abt it.

7. ilovemylife

ilovemylife Bronze IL'ite

Caste system might have derived by profession but it's not the case now is it? My caste is based on my parents caste and nothing to do with what I do or my parents does (or grand parents) for a living so what's the point of holding on to it now. A simple job title is enough isn't it?