1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wounded Civilizations

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Jun 2, 2019.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    I am aware of the great achievement of Indians in the field of medicines, business, technology and how American economy has benefited from it.
    While it is true that some, I repeat some, Americans are keen to learn more about India and its culture etc. it is also true that a majority of them cannot find it on the map. The other day, an American lady asked me where I come from and I said India and she asked is it in the Carabeans.
    It will be interesting to know how Indian Anericans fair in comparison with Japanese Americans and Chineses Americans.
    You must be certainly aware that nothing matters more than country interest. If America can have qualified people from out side America at low cost, they will go to any extent to draw them. It is being done by UK, Canada and others. It is also true that the moment they have people of equal qualification and competence they will not hesitate to stop further invites. It is already happening in the field of trade. It is happening in the field if IT. Many IT companies have been forced to recall their employees posted here.
    But again, the subject is ' wounded civilizations' . America is a country of immigrants and whites here have no hand in the colonization of underdeveloped countries like the British whose imperial power and other advantages helped them inflict wounds on the unsuspecting populace of the colonies. They are still in its grip.
    As I said things are improving but it will take time.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hari Sir,

Having worked in the IT industry for a long period of time, I understand well how the immigration process works. The process of labor certification exists (for H1B visas) in order to make sure no equivalent qualified American is available to fill a post in the US. It is natural for any country to protect their workforce. Besides, the law prohibits any Indian getting paid lower than an American employee. However, the Indian IT companies not only certified that specific IT professionals available in India couldn't be found in America and started paying them per diem and lower salaries than the American employees. Most of them have paid heavy penalty levied by ICE previously known as INS. These are case studies for immigration attorneys.

These actions of the Indian companies not only resulted in rejection of H1B visas for genuine purposes but also reduction of overall quota of H1B visas over a period of time. Frankly, most American companies still request the government to allow more quota and let more Indians to come into the US but unfortunately the quota is filled with programmer and analyst level applications received from Indian companies as the visas are offered on first come first serve basis. It is lack of understanding of how the immigration process works results in deportation.

For example, I came to the US on L1A visa with all my credentials furnished to the immigration as an executive needed to work in multiple countries. After careful scrutiny, it was approved and within a year I was allowed to apply for a green card. I received the green card within a year. 5 years later I obtained my citizenship.

Using B1 Visa without a work permit to send IT professionals to India, Retaining H1B visa holders for a period of 6 years without applying for a green card, Certifying a lower level IT position as not available among the American work force, etc. not only resulted in penalties to these companies but also increased scrutiny for any visa application from India. I won't blame the federal government for that irrespective of which political party is in control of the Executive and Legislative wing.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

It does take a few clicks to find an official source to refute that nonsense about income of white races being higher because they are white.

I found a magazine cartoon to the context of this thread that was hilarious:

upload_2019-6-4_7-49-30.png

The census data you saw was for all the Indian-americans living in USA, the ones who drive taxi's in big cities, to the one's who work for google. Compared to other hyphenated Americans who do all manners of work to earn a living.

The median income of American Household is $59000.
    You find the source of data on whatever comparisons you would like, and tell us about it.
    This is true of all immigrants from one country to another, whether or not there are visa restrictions. Educated/qualified get paid more than uneducated/unskilled. Immigrants from the NE-India migrate and work in service occupations in all metro cities. There are often no locals available for those jobs at those wages, and hence the migration happens. How north-eastern people feel at home in Chennai

Controlling/allocating quotas, and applying tariffs are done in both goods and services in International trade. Importing Human Resources is such a thing. A Wallmart shirt that is made in China, or an IT worker made-in-Russia or made-in-India would indeed cost less for a user in America. Every nation limits imports to support their local businesses, and their labor market wage levels. India limits Bangladeshi immigration into India to protect the jobs of Indian-NE citizens who would go on to flip dosa in a Udupi or Saravanaa Bhavan restaurant in Madras, for low wages compared to a local worker.

My reference to dark, bearded, non-whites having a more expensive life in America has to do with the various incidents involving violence against innocent, colored citizens going on about their daily lives.
    • We remember the poor old gujarati man who was body slammed by an Alabama police officer for absolutely no reason, and the old man ended up suffering a broken back, and
    • a stupid white terrorist going into the Milwaukee gurudwara and shooting up women and men gathered for prayer, and
    • all the sikhs who were attacked in the streets of our nation after 9-11 attacks in NYC, and
    • guys in beer halls getting incited into gun-violence (two Andhra engineers shot in Lexington KY) by the leader of the nation....etc. etc..
    You seem to have a fixation on "look straight in the eyes of whites". This is reminiscent of kind of warning one would get when on a guided hike among monkey or baboon troops in the wild. The guide would always remind us (tourists/hikers) not to make eye contact with the monkey, especially the big males, lest they think you are challenging them.

A very large proportion of my compatriots are ignorant of the world outside, and ready/eager to be in a bubble of misinformation. Experienced American employers of foreign or domestic skilled labor aren't among these.

We have come a long way since the US Supreme Court told Bhagat Singh Thind that his Naturalization to the US citizenship was null and void, because he was just too darn dark, but not dark enough.
    United States v. Bhagat Singh Thind - Wikipedia

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  4. HariLakhera

Dear Amulet,

Though we have digressed from the moot question raised by me, I am giving a link below which suggests Indian Americans and Asian Americans are far below in income and wealth as compared to the white Americans.

Racial Wealth Snapshot: Asian Americans | Prosperity Now

As I said statistics can be misguiding or misleading depending upon the sample size and method and most importantly intent. You may be aware how GDP data have been recalibrated to suit present government in India or elsewhere. I was a very poor student of statistics but this much I could understand without much prompting.
    Having said that, I have no intention of wearing a blind fold and looking for a black cat in a dark room.
    Facts speak for themselves.
    Racial discrimination exists.

5. HariLakhera

Dear Viswa,
    Thank you for explaining the issue from legal point of view and I respect your insight on the subject as a professional. I am an outsider. However I can tell for sure that most Indian companies posted their employess in the USA because the cost was mush less as against hiring locals. This is how they could compete. May be rules allowed this to happen.
    But fact still remains rules are framed and should be framed to suit national interest.

Viswamitra likes this.