1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Would You Do It?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by soulful, Jan 19, 2017.

1. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Well I never got to interpreting those looks. Hell, I didn't even apply to one those roles that was available. I am regretting - but I am yet to figure out what the regret is about. Missing the opportunity to be humble or being non-humble(let's not call me arrogant ok, at least not for now - I am still recovering from hypocritical:shocked:)

kaniths and Rihana like this.
  2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Why would you do it.? What is the glory in it. mc Donald's or grocery store , waiting jobs are low paying and long hours and does not offer much to the doer.

Why would anybody do it unless you don't have any other option to earn ....

Rihana likes this.
  3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

It was a work-trade kind of situation. Meaning - I work in return for some of my classes being free.

You are absolutely right - there is no glory, there is no need (touchwood) and does not offer much. If these were the reasons I chose to not take up that role I would have been comfortable with myself. But the actual reason, that it is 'beneath me' brought into focus, a very unattractive side of myself, which I didn't know of. I don't like it.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Did it when I was a student and had run out of my scholarship, soulful. Would I do it now? Would probably do if I were capable of it. :)

KashmirFlower and soulful like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Actually, I think I want to know... What does it mean? May the hangover come before the high...?
    Was a way of making money. Needed to make money, didn't need the money itself.

"Would do it again" means if needed I'd do it again, but away from folks I know.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    KashmirFlower and soulful like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

General thought - what is wrong with considering some jobs to be lowly or beneath one's dignity? That does not mean one is ill-treating or insulting those who do that job.

If one doesn't do those jobs and prefers to beg or steal or depend on the charity of others, yes, it is wrong. But otherwise, what is wrong with holding the opinion that some jobs are lowly?

Why force oneself to consider all jobs as equal. That is as unrealistic as saying that all little babies or children are cute. Some are cuter. And that is fine. Just don't tell the doting moms.

7. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

@Rihanna

May the hangover come before the high - meaning - Here is hoping readers are not living under an illusion (like me) I actively believed that for me no job is low (high) until reality hit(hangover)

You may have a point. Perhaps, there is no harm if you have no confusion about what you believe of 'lowliness' of the job. But what I realized is I have spent my whole life until now, lying to myself. That is why it bothers me.

Rihana likes this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear soulful,
    Doing the jobs you mentioned is need based
    Students mainly do it for the money they get to maintain themselves.....food, rent and other essentials. Not for love of what they are doing. There is a picture of great future in front of them....good degree, good paying job etc. That keeps them motivated. Doing it again in life is also need based......if they lose job and something like that.
    Syamala

GuideMe and soulful like this.