1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Worried abt school and future

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by asha_karthik, Mar 31, 2009.

1. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Its almost end of the academic year. For the past 2 weeks, my DD (2.9 years old) is keeping a very sad face, and sometimes crying to go to school. This wasn't the case before. She is active, happy at home, and has started doing lot of newer things. But when it comes to going to school, she is upset and keeps saying "school is holiday today" when she gets ready.

I had a talk with her class teacher today and even a few days back. Today was the worst when i dropped her at school, she again kept a long face and went in to keep the bag. Since the bell hadn't gone by then, she came out and started crying in the play area. I asked a sub-staff to attend to her and that lady made her sit somewhere. And when i was having a conversation with her teacher, i see that my LO is keeping her face like how an adult does... staring at a distance, in deep thought. Teacher says that she says "amma amma" for sometime in the class and then she gets ok. To cover herself she says it could be coz she is missing me as I am carrying now. but, there is absolutely no change in my attention towards her these days... in fact it has only increased coz she is interested in more number of activities and i enjoy doing everything with her. I wanted to doubt some change in the school environment, but with the year ending, no new students and no new teachers/substaff. Recently (around 2 months) i hv arranged for a van to bring her back from school - she only seems to be happy abt the driver uncle (as she calls him) and the total drive is just abt 2-3 mins. what then could be causing the depression in her? she isn't playing with the children there, and all the children there hv started playing with each other so well.

Its just going to be less than 10 more working days this year for her. My concern is not the school. I am only worried abt this nature of hers (crying to go to school and not mingling with kids easily). In the near future, she is only going to see more changes to her routine, with me going to my mom's place, she has to be without me around for a few days, and then she needs to come bk to join me, but with another child. i am extremely worried what am i doing wrong, and how i need to correct myself.
    pls pour in what you feel, ladies.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Asha, hugs. Not in your shoes yet, but I too dread how my shy toddler is going to mingle with other kids. He can be bullied easily by toddlers smaller than him - I wonder how it will go for us.
    Let's think about the playdate that we long ago were considering... and see if K and K like each other's company! I will PM you later on this. Hugs again.

3. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hi Asha,

how long has she been in this school? You said only for past 2 weeks, she is reluctant to go to school. So before this, was she happy abt it? I am sure you would have tried to know from her what she is upset about. But if you know any of her classmates or friends (she used to play with earlier) by name, you can try to mention them to her and say 'so and so told me you are drawing so well' or say that that girl / boy said something very nice abt her and appreciate her.. so she will atleast open up a little bit.

Have you given her an idea abt her little sibling on the way? was she aware of it recently? If she doesnt seem to have any change or problem in school, Looks like she just doesnt want to be away from you.

This is a genuine feeling of a child. It is just that they get lot more things better at home than outside on their own. They have everything of their choice at home and they start realising that once they are away from their loving mom and home sweet home.

You can have a gentle talk with her to find if she is willing to tell you soemthing.. if she doesnt, just keep asking again and again, she will open up as soon as you stop asking. what do you think??

Got to rush now, will come back in a while Asha!

4. asha_karthik

very true, krithika. thnx for ur hugs. it really puts off to see our kid like that.. brooding like an adult. hope it gets better.

5. asha_karthik

thnx AD for your reply.
    she is in this school since last June. apart from the initial settling period, she was just ok and was happy going to school. i hv tried talking to her asking how her friends are doing at school, and her teachers, and then the driver. she says teacher sings rhymes, kids play and driver uncle says "can we go home?" and picks her up to put her in the van. everything is positive there. i hv even asked her if someone scolded her or were angry with her. she says no. i dont know how better i can frame my questions to get things out of her. but as u say, i ll keep talking and talking. probably when i stop asking her questions, she might say something that could give me a hint.

she knows she is getting a papa from day 1. i am being extra careful on that part. i keep saying that i love K very much and K will love the littleone on the way very much. i never relate me and the one to come. i dont think she is capable of visualizing that far that i might be away on some later day.

one thing is, she has a very sensitive grandfather who used to pamper her a lot. but with her increasing tantrums these days, i see that he has now started to scold her sometimes. i didn't directly see it as he is mostly very kind with her and definitely so in my presence. but once or twice she has told me thatha shouted this and that... few times she used to embarass him telling this as soon as i entered home from work. but if this had to affect, it should be shown out at home also. she is but just fine at home.
    hoping to hear more from you and the other ladies...

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Asha,

I don't know if you believe in all these...

When I got pregnant with our second one DS was still in a day-care, 1/2 day in the afternoons (4.5 hrs). From my 2nd month or so he changed completely and he was moody about everything. Half the time we had to skip his day care because he wouldn't get ready, refuse to come out etc., But once there he was fine. Even then getting him there would tire me out so much.. it was a huge task!

Once I was telling this to my SIL and she said children can 'feel' the unborn and they do go through some emotional changes that can't be explained or expressed by them. I don't know how much this is true but he changed a lot after the baby was born.

I look at this only as a phase (God that word!!).. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

Latha

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi Asha,

If you have ruled out any changes in routine or anything at the daycare/school that is upsetting her, I think your daughter is just fine and is having an episode/phase of separation anxiety. The fact that she settles down fine after you leave is an indication of this - if something were really wrong she would be upset all day and there would be other signs like not napping, not eating well, not sleeping well at night etc.

My son also had a lot of separation anxiety around 2.5 years of age. The daily morning dropoff was a nightmare and I would be quaking because he would scream, cry and cling to my feet. And I would get these pathetic glances from other parents whose children would smile, kiss and say goodbye. But he would settle down quickly and have fun during the day. We have gotten much better now and he actually gives me a hug, kisses me and says bye when I drop him off :)

Regarding shyness and not mingling with other kids, don't worry too much - just provide enough opportunities for social interaction with peers.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  8. asha_karthik

oh Latha.. wish this was true. today was much better coz i kept preparing her from yesterday that K would go to school with a "bigggg smile" and asked her how she would smile since last night. so when she was getting ready and was driven to school, i kept asking her to show her beautiful biggg smile. she did all that, but was looking like those days savithri/K R Vijaya acting... trying to smile when she felt like crying. anyway it was better.

latha.. actually i did ask her paed if she would start "feeling" the unborn and i was told no. but i did see that there was something emotional going on in her mind. during the first 2 months, she used to wake up from her sleep (which otherwise is undisturbed) and sit down, sometimes cry, got more attached to me (it was always the same, but she preferred playing with grandpa than me, but these days she stays/plays with me whenever i am at home). yes, maybe something is going on and as you say, it should pass off as a phase.

9. asha_karthik

hi pavarun...
    thnx for your note. K was into this separation anxiety phase for over a year since she was 1 year old. when it got into its peak around 1.5 years old, thats when i started thinking abt a playgroup for her coz she never used to even say hi to ppl who come home, i started hating functions and get-togethers i had to attend... after 2 that got slightly better. even now she is not completely ok.. will not stay even for a while with a complete stranger, but gets along well with known people.

i can visualize what all ur 2.5 year old wud hv done when he was dropped to school. same with little K around a year bk. now when i thought all was settled, she has again started this. but this time, she knows she has no choice.. no matter what all i do, mommy will still drop me at school and drive back.

i was thinking of summer camps for her just so she wouldn't get used to staying at home.. yes, as you say, trying to give her more opportunities.. at least 2 hours a day.

10. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

hi,
    thanks for bringing the topic.

Even i see a sudden change in my son's behaviour suddenly for past one month or so..he is 27 months and used to goto playschool happily ..but nowadays as soon as he wakes up say today school holiday. and he cries his heart out .i am working .

he also keeps repaeting the same sentnece "dont leave me and go". .. he also keeps saying "appa has left me and gone to office"..leaving from home to office is a big task .. as he keeps holding me and my leg and he keeps crying.. any amt of reassurance saying i will be back in the evening etc..does not seem to help.

i started working when he was 6 months old... he was a happy child..he used to wave bye to me till few months back.. but all of a sudden why this separation anxiety ? i am not able to understand.. how do i help him to cope with it.

thx
    Prabha