World cup football BID for 2022.

Discussion in 'Indians in Doha' started by bhuvnidhi, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Come on Ladies, How did we ever miss this topic "FIFA World cup bid 2022" being in Qatar?I know it is very late to open a thread on this topic as the announcement will be made in few hours.What do you ladies think?Does Qatar deserve being a host to this event?

To me I am neutral as I wasn't too interested in this much as "My own country" never thought of bidding ever:biglaugh.A patriotic Indian you see.But I could feel the "heat"(in FIFA committee words) now as the verdict is near.

Let us pour our thoughts on this.

BTW, I saw the presentation made by Qatar yesterday and felt it was too emotional.Here is the link for the same.

FIFA.com - Bidders for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup?

And here is the view of Footballinside on the presentation.
    Qatar Polished, Clinton Goes Into Extra Time in WC Presentations

December 1, 2010 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Qatar bid chairman Sheikh Mohamed opened his bid's presentation (M.Bisson/WFI)
    (WFI) Qatar’s World Cup bid put on a characteristically slick presentation, attempting to assuage concerns about its heat, emphasizing the tiny Gulf Kingdom’s role in the heart of the Middle East and football’s power to unite.

The bid gave portions of the presentation in French and Spanis, emphasizing that not all of the Executive Committee have as their native tongue English. Bid chairman Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad Al Thani said in his opening comments: “It’s the spirit of brotherhood we want to offer you today.”

He added: “Qatar is a reliable partner. Qatar is constant and Qatar is responsible.”

He was followed by a well-executed film highlighting the country and interspersing it with Bora Milutinevic giving a dressing room team talk. “Are you ready to make history?” he asks as the camera panned to make the kingdom seem a lot bigger than it actually is.

Militunevic, who managed six different countries in the World Cup Finals, talked about his experience as a six-time World Cup manager. He spoke of the heat at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico (generously omitting mention of the sweltering 1994 finals in the USA) but claimed that that wasn’t an issue in Qatar. He talked about what players needed from a finals – consistency, lack of transport across long distances, optimum training conditions – and said that Qatar could offer those.

Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, the Jackie Onasiss-esque first lady and head of the Qatar Foundation, said that awarding the World Cup to the country “reduces the distance between us all.”

“Just think what we can achieve together on behalf of our shared values,” she said.

“It sends out a message that after 92 years of waiting we are fully part of the global football family.

“When is the right time to bring the World Cup to the Middle East?

“When? The time is now.”

Two more slick films by Radical Media, who made the presentation videos for the winning London 2012 bid, used CGI images of the amazing new stadiums and a vision of Qatar in twelve years time (“A country redefining the boundaries of possibility.”) and another on football’s uniting power.

The message was reaffirmed by Mohammed Al-Nufal Al-Tamimi, an Iraqi-born medicine scholar. He spoke of Iraq’s shock AFC Cup win over Saudi Arabia in 2007 and the effect it had on a country riven by civil war.

“It was the first time I can remember our country being as one. It was all through football,” he said.

“This is why the whole region supports Qatar’s bid.”

2. Priyaalagu

Priyaalagu Silver IL'ite

:crazyhey Bhuvana,

was just browsing the net to see if any announcements have come.

Inspite of all this talks there is something more behind the screens that Qatar has not highlighted. Anyways as you said jus few min for the results and we could also know our survival in Qatar.hehehe:crazy

3. bhuvnidhi

Rightly said,Priya!I just cannot imagine the rents and cost of living it Qatar wins the bid:drowning.

BTW, They are showing the bid live at Aspire now...Looks like all the ladies are out to see the bid .No one seems to be around.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  4. deepasahana

deepasahana Bronze IL'ite

QATAR WINS 2022 WORLD CUP ---------- GREAT NEWS
    :party:party:party

REGARDS
    DEEPA

5. bhuvnidhi

So finally , Qatar has won the bid.I could hear the "kinke..kinkee" sound of LCs outside loudly!

6. Priyaalagu

Priyaalagu Silver IL'ite

So atlast the most expected results but we poor expirates hike in house rent, grocery, veggies, entertainemnt but not the salaries:crazy

Qatar got the bid and what are we going to get:hide:

So should we feel happy or upset for this news

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  7. VinuthaKarthik

VinuthaKarthik Bronze IL'ite

Oh be happy for qatar... thats all we got to do to express ourselves in a public forum like this...
    :hide:

8. josjareena

josjareena New IL'ite

Hi Friendz,

I really agree with Priya's comments. Lets see what happens. heeheeee......

Regards
    Jareena

9. bhuvnidhi

I am just hoping that the sponsorship system gets scrapped and more expat friendly laws come to act.

I hope the same situation does not repeat like when it was in Asian Games.Please do not hike the rents:drowning:spin.There are always lot of unreasonable brokers around here in Qatar:rant.

BTW, ladies it is just 60dhs/min for India during this weekend.

Oh how did I forget to say "I AM PROUD THAT QATAR WON THE BID".

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  10. nriindian

nriindian Bronze IL'ite

Hi Bhuvs,

First of all ..congratulations to QATAR on the Bid...The amount hardwork and the amount of perseverence that has gone into it and you know what they are ready to spend half of their wealth to make their best for the D Day and we should bbe proud of it ..being residents here...As Against the dirty filthy politicians of OUR COUNTRY who swindlted 100s and 1000s of crores in the name of the Asian Games and let all Indians down in front of the world..all this in the most selfish act of filling up their Bank accounts.... So Way to Go Qatar.... THats one side of the coin

Now for the other,
    Rents -influx of more expats can be expected and thus more demand and obviously higher rents...:-(

Inflation - price of commodities would topple up

Traffic - OH GODDD!! I assume would get worser I guess

Businesses are expected to improve and job oppurtunities are likely to increase - a good news amidst the bad..

Whatever it is..lets face it...