1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

World Breastfeeding Week (Aug 1-7)! Let's Share Some Tips!

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Vasumathy, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @tsiva, @Suk2011, @mansi16, @jssd, @sravanitenali, @Socialbee & @ramyaramani for your tips and participation. Hope all these will be useful to some souls.

Tips for the day!

• Vitamin D helps in calcium absorption by our body. So, aim to get some for the mother and baby. When early morning sun hit over our skin, it produces necessary Vit D for our body.
    • Don't try to loose weight very fast before 6 months. It will affect breast feeding as first 6 months of breast feeding is very important to baby.
    • Don't eat more as old wive tale asks to consume more. Instead of eating more eat more protein, multivitamin based foods. Include more vegetables, fruits, greens and nuts than carbohydrates. That will help in controlling weight gain in postpartum. Quality matters, not the quantity.

1 person likes this.
  2. boomisri

boomisri New IL'ite

While feeding some babies might fall asleep. They will feel hungry and wake again or cry within an hour or so. In order to avoid that, rub the ears if they try to sleep.

2 people like this.
  3. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Some tips that worked for me:
    Even if you have low supply in the beginning, let the baby latch on as many times as she demands. Stimulation helps increase supply.
    Start with the same side you ended on last time, The initial milk is quite watery. So make sure your baby gets the thick milk first before starting the other breast which also has thin milk at the beginning.
    Every time baby is hungry, first try breast milk. If insufficient, then only go for formula.
    When going out, wear clothes that are easy to feed like front button shirt etc. Carry a shawl, scarf. Don't hesitate or shy away. Most people are more accommodating than you think.

3 people like this.
  4. Vasumathy

Tips for the day:

• Don't try pacifiers in the early stage. It disturbs the breast feeding interest of the baby.
    • For cracked nipple or with other troubles, try to leave little breast milk and let it dry. Wear loose clothing.
    • If you feel you are producing excess milk, increase feeding. If you have made clots, try to take warm water shower or warm water massage over the breasts, that will relieve the clot.

1 person likes this.
  5. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

good post.
    i have 8 month DD and i BF her only morning and night (As i m working) but my concern is that during night time i think she doesnt get required quantity as she gets up many times for feed. this disturbs both of us sleep. i really dont know how to increase milk. i have stress at office and plus eating habbit also not so healthy .
    can anyone please give me some suggestions.
    before joining office i was taking all healthy meal and milk with dry fruits at that time she was very healthy and chubby. now she eats different stuffs also but still i want to give her quality milk which will keep her immunity strong.
    thanks

6. Vasumathy

Hi Katochsimi,
    Since its been 8 months, you must have started solids for your baby. Try to give something that will fill your baby well in night and then top up with your breast milk. That might bring decent sleep to your baby and to you.
    You can try and take more milk or calcium stuffs to boost your calcium level. Eat fenugreek seeds and garlic too. Hope your trouble will solve soon.

2 people like this.
  7. Vasumathy

Tips for the day:

• In the beginning of the breast feeding, don't try to limit feed duration. Try to feed whenever baby feels hunger and feed as long as baby want to drink.
    • Don't waste the first milk(colostrum) as few old people used to waste that. The first milk has highest antibodies..

8. Vasumathy

Tips for the day!

• Low thyroid levels might affect milk production. Its better to get it checked if you feel low supply.
    • If the mom feels breast fullness and emptiness before and after feeding, then she must be producing enough supply.
    • Protein intake will help in increasing milk supply.
    • Try to eat fresh vegetables and fruits each day.

All the best. :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@katochsimi It is quite normal for breastfed babies to wake up several times in the night. Breastfeeding is not only for satisfying hunger, it is also a source of comfort.

If your DD dozes off within few minutes of sucking, then it is probably comfort sucking.

1 person likes this.
  10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Breastfeeding in public (Nurse in public) is not as daunting as it sounds. The 2-shirt method is an awesome way of nursing in public and being discreet at the same time.