1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Workplace Gossip After Separation

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by Lightsource, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Lightsource

Lightsource Senior IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I lived in an emotionless sexless marriage for a few months, following which I came to know that my DH was not only a gay loner, he was also a liar, engaged in fraud. I am in the process of coming out of this trap and wish to get legally separated soon. I was stupid to leave my career behind and move abroad after marriage, as I believed personal life was more important than professional growth. Now I am back in India and with all the emotional baggage this marriage has brought, I feel shameful to let my friends know about my life and guilty for being such a fool and to have fallen into this pit.

I have joined a different organization now (not the one that I was working before) and when asked about my personal details, I have told everyone that my husband lives abroad and would get back home, for good, in a few months. I don’t feel comfortable to discuss about my broken marriage, fearing that they would judge me and my life would become a matter for gossip, for no fault of mine.

I am writing here to get suggestions from ladies, who had gone through similar unfortunate phase of life, with regard to ways to deal with societal gossip and talks, post separation, especially at work place.

2. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Recently divorced from a sexless marriage as well . I am working in this company for the last few years. I am very close to some of my colleagues and they knew everything . Rest of my team, I informed them ( dint go into details of course) . They were nothing but supportive, everyone was understanding and wished a better future for me. Honesty is the best way forward , you have nothing to be ashamed of. divorce is not that uncommon these days and honestly what can they gossip about you when they have no details. About being judged, if someone is judging you for your broken marriage ,they probably have nothing better to do. Don't pretend to be married, its like living a lie.

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

You have made a great mistake. I am not referring about your marriage, but thinking like career is not part of your personal life was a great mistake.

Now that, you are making another mistake. A grave one this time.
    What's wrong to be truthful and honest in life?
    Why lie? and what will you get by a lie?

One of my colleague cum best friend was a divorcee when I met her for the first time at work. Upon joining, she told everyone (of course who ever asked) about her marital status.
    The team was a mixture of balanced / matured and immature people. So, the matured ones (not referring the age here) accepted her for who she is, befriended with her, and helped her knowing she was new that city and would need a helping hand to while settling down with a young kid.
    The immature colleagues started talking behind her back, gossiped about her, and even went on to make stories when young men genuinely talked to her or helped her.
    Such folks will change their topic when a new colleague or new problem emerge in the office. After that, there were absolutely no one to talk or even listen to the same old gossip about this divorced one.
    Eventually, the office life stabilizes and everything falls in the right place.

My colleague found her soul mate in that office within 2 years. He was a colleague too.
    However, she took almost 7 years to decide before agreeing for the second marriage with the blessings of both families. That guy was never married, and the whole office whole heartedly wished that couple, and more importantly helped around their wedding.

Now that, in a span of 10 years, she is happily married, with one more kid to make their life beautiful. A good career, and a supportive husband with a balanced family.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Sorry dear u had to go through that..
    It’s ok what u have told n done is done..
    U r strong to come out from that marriage this small issue at office u can handle.. just tell in brief n leave it.
    Focus on your career .

Barupavi and VidhyaVi like this.
  5. Twofeathers

Twofeathers Bronze IL'ite

Sorry you had to go through that sham of a marriage. Glad you made the right decision to separate (based on what you said hopefully it is the first step to a divorce and start a new future for you) and go back to India and start a career. That was a good decision. Many flounder around unable to take those steps!! I believe that there is nothing shameful about a divorce. Do not elaborate or offer explanation. Just be brief and if some folks want details just say that it did not work out. Like someone said, you lived in a sham of a marriage, step out of its shadow and accept your real life to open doors.

6. Lightsource

Thanks shreema for your response. I have read your posts and admire your willpower and confidence.

Even today when one of my colleague asked about my DH, I was not able to tell the truth and pretended as if everything was fine. I want to pose as a strong person but, I am scared that I would breakdown if I tell the truth. I am still not over it and find it hard to reveal this to strangers. I don't understand how to start and what to tell. Be it new colleagues or known friends, I am not feeling comfortable to talk about this to anyone. I hate lying and liars (that's the main reason for not being able to stay in this marriage), unfortunately, I keep lying every day, unable to disclose the truth. Even after pretending, my mind is not at peace. I get upset and feel low throughout the day. I wish I develop the confidence and strength to accept and talk about this disgusting reality.

7. Lightsource

Yes, You are absolutely right. I made a blunder and trapped myself.

I hope to acquire the power to disclose the truth and not live a lie. Every time I lie, the situation only gets worse. I get emotionally drained and not able to carry on with my routine. I wish I hadn't lied at the first place. I read self help books to gain strength, but nothing seems to work.

8. Lightsource

I realized the end of my marriage and somehow gained the power to take the tough decision. But, I find it difficult to reveal it to the society. I have always been a girl, who likes to spread joy around her. But these days, I am not even able to face others, while holding a conversation about my marriage. I try to avoid the topic and divert them. I avoid meeting / talking to my relatives/ friends.

VidhyaVi likes this.
  9. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

It’s ok to feel that but not all will gossip just tell in brief ..
    u will know whom to trust or just do not tell all the detail to someone n then regret . If u have money to spent so to therapist n talk that is best.

10. Gallant

Gallant Silver IL'ite

This is not something you can hide for long...if you tell the truth that you are separated, or just say you are single...no one will ask you anything, anymore. Period. If you hide the fact, you have to keep answering...lies over lies.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018