1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working moms- then and now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by sadhanagopal, Dec 7, 2011.

1. sadhanagopal

sadhanagopal Senior IL'ite

I was just wondering if this conflict to work or not is new to our generation. In the previous generation, many women were SAHMs and those who did go to work, seemed to do it without too much analysis-paralysis. I think their reasons were far more pragmatic, such as economic stability and financial needs which did not allow them to think too much. Our generation, except for a few wise souls, seems to be a rather torn lot with our reasons for working varying from difficult in-laws to intellectual stimulation.

So tell me wise ones, are there any older people on this forum who worked? What was your thought process? What do you think of the younger generation today?

And the young women with working moms...what are your experiences? Did it matter at all that mom worked? Did you feel deprived in any way or did it make you proud? Did you miss your moms or did you take it in your stride? Enlighten us, will you?

2. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Working women were always torn between work and family..then and now.

3. payasa

payasa Bronze IL'ite

Some of my friend's mom's used to work, and I think they did not have as hectic job as we do now. They worked as teachers, or in Govt offices, or banks - one thing common to all of them was fixed timings, and work place was close to home.
    Even men for that matter - most of them worked in Govt offices, or banks, or were doctors, lawyers, civil engineers. They came home in evening, had coffee, did a little bit of socializing with relatives and friends, spend time with family, and were done for the day.
    Technology was not as developed in those days as it is today, and many people were not in IT industry. Also, life was much simple with no facebook, video games, internet surfing, 100's of channels on TV, cell phones, traffic jam, etc. Mom's used to come home, help kids with homework, make dinner, watch one or two shows on Doordarshan, and sleep by 10 O'clock.
    Now-a-days, life is very fast paced. Work culture has changed totally, what used to be a 9-5 job is now 9-to-whatever-it-takes. What used to be a job, is now career! Our lives have also changed accordingly.

2 people like this.
  4. andysmum

andysmum New IL'ite

my mother worked as a nurse at a hospital. she worked for about 40 years !!!!
    Yes, it was a difficult life for her with 3 kids.... and what was worse, she had shifts !!!!
    But the routine was just set and as payasa said, their generation had fixed timings....
    As for us, we would hate it when she had to work on holidays or sundays, but it thought us to be responsible.
    i am a working mother myself and i am very proud of my mother after being in her situation now !!!!

5. mathu903

mathu903 Gold IL'ite

Working women always have the dilemma of to-be or not to-be.
    My mom used to be a working woman. She had her share of problems. She had to cook for her ailing in-laws before she left to work, come back, cook, clean, teach me etc etc.
    But she also had fixed timings and the work was not draining. Yet at a point she had to take a call. My mom's job was not transferrable and Dad was not attempting promotions just because of transfers.
    I was at one end, refusing to stay in aunt's house after school and started taking the attitude of I can manage on my self alone.
    At that point mom took a call and resigned her job. Later after another 5-6 years when she was done with all the family commitments she took up her favourite job of teaching.
    So its always prioritizing correctly and making difficult decisions. Both then and now.
    Currently, I am stuck with the same dilemma with my son pestering me to drop him to school personally like 'So and So's Mom' does.. :)