1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Working mom - Joining after a break

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by Arunsri, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Arunsri

Arunsri New IL'ite

Hi ladies..I am new mom. I am working and currentl working from home after my delivery. My baby is 7 month old and i would be joining to work in some 20days.

I would like to know what are the things i should take care before i leave for work. My in laws would be there to take care of the baby.

I am breastfeeding and i would like to continue. Do i need to buy things like breast pad etc.,? please pour in ur experiences.

Thanks,
    Arunsri

2. 2bkind

2bkind Silver IL'ite

Hi Arunsri,
    Best of luck for your smooth transition back to work. I have following suggestions for you:

1) Invest in a good breast pump and start using immediately so that your baby can be set in a routine during afternoon or any time in your absence. Though you may have started solids, it is still advisable to continue breast milk along with baby food at least until your baby turns 1.
    2) you may need to pump in office also as body may take time to adjust and yes it is better to be prepared with breast pads.
    3) Establish a routine with regards to preparation and feeding/ bathing of baby and try to involve your MIL more into the routine, so that both your baby and MIL are adequately prepared.
    4) Be emotionally prepared as it is quite tough to leave your baby at home and concentrate in office immediately, so try to fortify yourself. Having said, it is heart breaking for the first few days but both of you (baby & you) will get used to it in a few days.
    5) Hire someone to help your MIL with either the baby or for taking care of some chores in the house, like cutting veggies, or folding clothes or to keep an eye on the baby if your MIL takes a nap in the afternoon.
    Because, we also have to understand that to take care of an active baby (I think your baby may have started crawling or will do so soon) will be quite tiring for an older woman, who might have health problems or lack the energy to keep up with your baby all the time. So any extra help will always be appreciated.
    6) Last .. don't forget to enjoy the end of your maternity leave with your baby :)

1 person likes this.
  3. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

Adding to the above points said,
    ensure that you make your own time to relax. This is very important if you need to be happy maintaining both work and home. All the best to you.

4. SudhaManimaran

SudhaManimaran Bronze IL'ite

Hi..
    My suggestion is practice for bit more solid foods.. as your baby is 7 months he is ready for solids and gradually increase solids like mashed apple,mashed carrot and porridge(rice and ragi) , banana,dhal rice, curd rice etc..
    Also gradually you can reduce the breastfeeding by twice moring before to work and after coming from work and also in night would be sufficeint at this point of time.
    Introduce to more solids so that he may not miss the breastfeeding . Practice this routine from now onwards with you.So that it will be easy for him to adopt to this.
    Even i joined my work at 7th month.;-)

5. jyotiparab

jyotiparab Silver IL'ite

All the best and take care :)