1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Wondering about the cultural differences between india and usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SRK123, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have been thinking about these things recently :bonk,

1) Children in India address the elders(sometimes strangers and neighbours) as uncle and aunty etc.. How do children address elders here? My daughter is calling everyone as uncle and aunty here and I can see Question mark on a lot of faces.. :).

2) My daughter is very curious and she usually has many questions..:hide:. So, usually she points finger at others and asks me questions like "What is that aunty wearing? Is it a skirt or a dress?" or " Which language is he speaking?" She keeps asking if I dont answer, or she has more questions if I one question is asked:rotflSometimes she will go and ask them directly, some will respond and some will not bother to... So here my question is that, Is pointing finger considered rude here?

Does any of your children do this? What do you tell yur child then? Presently, I am trying to divert her

I have more questions but for now looking for answer for these two.. and also few suggestions..

Kiran

2. zipzipzoomzoom

zipzipzoomzoom Gold IL'ite

The polite way for children to refer to elders is "Sir" or "Ma'am". Or, if they know a person's last name is Smith, they can address the person as "Mr. Smith" or "Ms. Smith" or if the lady is married, "Mrs. Smith"

Yes, finger pointing is considered rude here, please ask your daughter not to do this.

2 people like this.
  3. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

1. Yes, children don't call uncle ,aunty to everyone. They address them as
    Mr. 'last name ' or Mrs.....
    For Indian couples children can call uncle,aunty.
    2. Yes, it's rude to point . But she is a child so immediately tell her please don't point. She will get the message.

4. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

1) If you know the last name of the person,then it would be Mr. Jones(say) or Ms.Jones(as one might not know current status - single,married,divorced!).If you don't know the name and are directly addressing the person,one could just use "Sir","'Ma'am" as the case may be. Thats how people here address others.I know it seems a bit formal by Indian standards,but thats what is considered polite .Once you get used to it,it will come out without thinking! I think its quite a nice practice.

2) Pointing fingers is considered rude anywhere.We indians are bindaas,so we don't take it seriously if a child says/does anything.But here one needs to be careful. When my daughter used to point,I just told her that it is considered rude,and just like she gets upset if someone says/does something she doesn't like,others also feel the same. She understood and stopped doing it. Kids are very understanding and smart,they get the message-like Foundlove says.

5. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your prompt reply. By the way, how to say something like this "That aunty is talking on phone"? I told her to say "That lady ......." and for men, instead of saying "that uncle is......." can we say "that man is laughing " etc..?

6. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Yes, referring to someone your daughter asks about as "that man" or "that lady", then describing their actions, is acceptable if you do not know who they are. Regarding pointing, it is not considered polite, but most will not comment until your child is older, so teaching her it is impolite to point at someone while she is still young is good.

1 person likes this.
  7. SRK123

SRK123 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the replies Ladies...