1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Women harassment- real life experiences

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by krisvidhya, Mar 5, 2009.

1. krisvidhya

krisvidhya Silver IL'ite

How many of us have experienced inappropriate behaviour by men towards women? In school, outside school, at office, at public places, other places...This womens day lets start educating our readers and their kith and kin on what can be done to stop all this..Let our sisters, daughters, female friends and female relatives beware of even small gestures which constitute sexual harassment..

Though we know many offices have policies and legal laws are there to prevent harassment against women, can we really say this has been stooped..not at all..

I still remember the days when we girls had to board a bus to travel to our college..The bus used to be so crowded that we had to manage a place to stand till we reached our college..and put up with the crowd, the hooligans who travelled in the bus for the sake of the girls and the drama that used to happen in the bus (guys of local colleges singing in the bus, the conductor never taking care of them etc..)For this very reason, we had to start to college rather early to get a ‘not-so-crowded’ bus..You never know how many girls still suffer this today..I must agree a lot of ladies spl buses have been introduced but how many girls are able to travel in them because of college timings...

Not many people would have forgotten the sad case of Sarika Shah who was a victim of the eve-teasing menace. I can recollect how many of us girls saw her just an hour before the incident and in what stage she was brought back to the college in an auto. She kept vomiting and fell down in the auto as she had suffered a severe head injury..She lost her life while walking past the college road for lunch where she was pulled by her duppatta by some of the boys who were travelling in an auto. For them, it was fun, for her, it costed her life..

Not to forget the case of a HP employee who was abducted, raped and killed by the cab driver who used to regularly pick her from her home to her workplace.

Coming to workplace harassment, we assume women have reached a stage of maturity where they can tell good from bad, stay away from problem mongers and know who to befriend and not..but can you imagine, this still continues even at the workplace which mostly go un-noticed as the women are usually concerned about their name and prefer not to make it a big issue..
    just to quote an instance which happened in one of the offices I worked in, few years back. Radha (name changed)was working with a leading software company where most men and women had to work until late hours to complete their project. It was a regular practice for Radha to stay until 10 PM and take a cab home once the day’s work was completed. It was not until one month that she started receiving crank calls in her mobile late night when she used to visit the canteen to have her dinner. At first, she did not pay much attention to the calls as she didn’t want to make a big issue out of this. But as this didnot stop for almost a month, that she complained to the HR department of the office and they took the matter for investigation..You would have never imagined..it was the security who had been doing these calls and if you are wondering how he got her number, it was through the register who was updated at the security office of the company.

Even un-necessary contact/ prolonged hand-shake and unwanted touch constitute harassment if the female feels so..
    And cases on the road, passing comments to female two-wheeler riders, dupatta pulling, screaming near the female riders whilst foot boarding busses..all these are also cases of harassment..

What about the domestic violence – i think this will be the worst case of harassment, the unsolicited SMSs many get and the crank calls, dowry violence etc..?

So, what becomes our duty in these cases?
    First, I think we need to educate women of the harassment menace and how and what they can do to overcome..and for this, I guess they need to build confidence within themselves and not allowing the other gender to act in a way detrimental to them. Most women do possess this quality but there are still some who do not discuss these issues with their colleagues or at home..So ladies, if we are not already helping them or if we tend to see some one feeling uncomfortable by the action of the other, I think we have to interfere and rescue them from the situation..
    Not only educating our co-gender of the laws in existent, giving them courage and ability to speak out about such issues, but also share the various ways of overcoming such difficult situations by showing them what can be done..

Not all men are bad..there are some very good ones too...but the bad men are the ones who are to be taught a lesson..

Starting this women’s day, lets educate and help as many ladies as possible and lets also share our experiences and how we overcame them..

2. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

You bought a really thought Provoking topic..

I am from Andhra Pradesh and I can list many number of incidents which happened in my state..

When I am studying my Intermediate in Guntur, a guy named Manohar came to kill the gal Srilakshmi,Master student, for not accepting his love..He came to the University and cut her throat with big knife..

Another one was which happened an year ago..Ayesha Meera, bpharm student, case which was a mystery for many months..and few days back the culprit had caught..He came to ayeshas hostel in the night when everyone was sleeping..dragged her to balcony,broke her head,thn Raped her as a animal and wrote´CHIRUTHA´on her heart and left..Here the guy and gal doesnt know eachother..Its only saddist and Psycho of that guy to kill gals..

Other which happened 2 months back in my town..where the guy srinivas Throwed a bottle of acid on the face of Swapnika who is final yr btech student..In which her whole face and most of the body is burned ..her frnd who is sitting back of her on the bike also got hurt..Swapnika died after 1 month with lot of struggle and Pain..
    Here good thing is, After the incident has happened..The Police encountred srinivas and his frnds for supporting himmm...Hatsoff to Police..

I can go on list so many incidents..People Pray for victims and curse the culprits but no one either the people nor govt..takes the necessary action to remove these weeds..

Hugs,
    dg...

3. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

After commenting to your post, I started to read our newspaper and a recent thing is 1 inter student Poured Hot oil on the body of his lover in the night when she is in sleep,because of not loving him..

Can you imagine how far is this cruelty going to be??

Hugs,
    dg..

4. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

A very relevant post. It is sad that women have to undergo all this for just being women. Some men think it is their birth right to harass women. Unless strict rules are implemented and the men severly punished it is not going to improve. In fact, I think it is going from bad to worse - especially in cities like Delhi.

5. nikky90

nikky90 Junior IL'ite

Hi:
    I am Nikky90.The topic I just read very sensitive, not every body talks about it very freely. the religion I belong to is a complete religion, and solves almost all the problems linked with women. women is allowed to appear in front of men only if he is her relative , like her grandfather, father, brother or husband, brothers of her mother and father that's it(these relatives are called mehram). and if she needs to go out for picnic or because of any kind of compulsion she will go with her mehram. men and women are not allowed to get together until they have legal relation like marriage.
    Women should not go out of home alone, her mehrams should be able to take care of there women. and if the condition is that she has to go out alone. she should cover her whole body except her face, wrist, and ankles to toes. if she displays her body parts men would defiantly attract toward her. if she wears sandals or jewelries which make noise and gain attention of men, are not allowed. perfumes to attract men are not allowed.
    doing fashion is not prohibited but only in front of women and mehrams. in our religion women is very precious. she is not to show every body. as the boy or girl gets adult, marriage is compulsory on them, so that they don't get involve in bad deeds, like rape or women harassment. there are still many instruction which are helpful to make our communities free from "women harassment".
    if any body still wants to ask any type of questions she may ask without hesitation.
    Nikky90

6. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

With due respect, I don't think this is the solution to the problem. Sitting at home, covered from head to toe is not helping women. That is just running away from it. Not that women at home are safe either - what about domestic abuse? And it is ridiculous to think that wearing jewellery and sandal attracts eve teasing. This is just the kind of attitude that sets women's rights and liberty back by a couple of centuries.....

7. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Krisvidya,
    I notice eve teasing and sexual harrasment are very rampant in India (note iam not denying it does not exist in other countries) , i agree women shd be taught to stand up against and the society shd look up to the women who bring justice to these offenders.

I still can't understand why men behave this way towards women.

8. Banuvisu

Banuvisu New IL'ite

Vidhya,
    sure i agree untold, unnoticed cases also keep happening everywhere and our daughters and other female friends should be educated on this.If we make them our friends, sharing thoughts and information becomes easier and they can be taught or complain about such incidents. Many dont even tell their parents i think. thought provoking post.

9. Pragmatic

Pragmatic New IL'ite

Its true women is still not treated with love n respect by few evil maniac in our society. I do remember the case of HP lady who was abused n killed by the cab driver. I was also in bangalore back then n was horrified to hear such incident coz even i worked with a software company where late hours were common...but thank to our company who strictly started the rule of all girls back home before 7, they started monitoring all cabbies closely n provided security gaurd in each cab that runs post 7 pm. Though all these measures were taken once we heard of such case around us and now m not sure if they still follow it or not! Sad, but we r awaken only after somethings goes wrong...Its bad that gov/companies don't take up these issues seriously.
    Moreover look at the end result, the case of that HP incident is yet not resolved , the case is still going on n culprit is still having fun with court sessions/bailouts.

10. krisvidhya

krisvidhya Silver IL'ite

Oh my God..How far people can go to fulfil their desires..wats the news abt the girl after the incident..?So many crimes of passions these days..we could have well been in the olden days where there was more love than hate..