1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Women Entering Sanctums .......

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Jeeves, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

2. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

Jayasala
    I have come here again to respond
    You Have stated " Ayyappa is stated to be a Historical figure " I beg to disagree. Ayyappa or Ayyanar or Shaastha is mentioned in Kandha puranam as Hariharaputra

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The story about Shaneeswara and satellite is in the air for the past so many years.The satellites are constructed with the greatest care calculating so many angles, shape of the earth and other aspects. My nephew is working for NASA.I had an open discussion with him.The scientists say that if the satellite slows down even a bit in a particular place due to any reason, (divinity or any such thing,) the satellite is likely to slow down further and further and would have caused great damages.It is scientifically impossible for the satellite to reduce the speed in a particular area and then resume the original speed again.It is hoped that Lord Shaneeswara does not wish for any such calamity to happen to anyone on earth.

My nephew expressed the opinion that our beliefs are separate and scientific theories and facts are separate.There may be a small turbulence in the movement of satellite, that is common in many areas while revolving around the earth due to deviation in elevation, angles etc and it is a normal phenomenon in any satellite movement and it need not be attributed to the greatness or otherwise of Lord Shaneeswar.The same instance is not rumoured in other Shani Kshetrams. Is it that Thirunallaaru Shani Bagavan is more powerful than Shani Shinganapore in Maharashtra?

While discussing about this, some native of Karaikal told me that the Lord residing in that particular sannithi in Thirunallaaru is not actually Shaneeswar and it is Lord Subrahmanya originally and later the deity was started being worshipped as shaneeswara.They attribute the logic to the location of Sannithi in Shiva temples. If this rumour catches up ,then the impact of peacock and not crow ,would be widely discussed.Of course,it does not matter whether it is Lord Subrahmanya or Shaneeswara.For spiritually inclined people, everything is the same.

Madam Jeeves,personally I don't have any problem in believing that Iyappa was a historical figure who lived some 850 years back.Lord Rama also lived around 4400 B. C and Krishna lived
    around 3100 B. C. and historical records are there and computer records built out carbon dating techniques have proved this fact beyond doubt .Deification of historical human beings is not anything new in India.The so called puranas give a detailed list of 100 kings from Manu to Mahabharata war and Rama was the 71st king of solar dynasty and his date of birth more or less coincides with the present Computerized details.Kalidasa in his Raghuvamsam picturises a very big family tree upto and beyond Rama..After Mahabharat war the geneological list of kings that ruled India is very clear from Hastinapur dynasty, kosala dynasty passing thro Sisunaga, nanda and maurya dynasties upto mughal invasions.It is clear that historical figures are now worshipped as Lord Rama and Lord Krishna,as avatars of Mahavishnu .Even Siddhatha( Buddha) is believed to be incarnation and evidently he was a historical figure belonging to kosala dynasty who ruled for nearly 1500 years by 29 kings among whom siddharta was no 24 in order.

The same logic applies to Lord Iyappa also, I think.History is a fact.

There is divinity in every one of us which we are unable take cognizance of.
    Sorry for the interruption.

Jayasala42

nakshatra1, Jeeves and GeetaKashyap like this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Isn't that a paradox? If we want our women to believe in superstitious wisdom, then we should not educate them in sciences or medicine or engineering. If we educate them, then they would turn into inquiring minds like Jayasala and discover the truth and debunk the malarkey. Why educate them, instead inculcate fear and tremble and let them grow up as simple-minded juggins to be deceived by charlatans and sold off taabeez and plenary indulgences to prevent satellites from falling on their heads because they are not pious enough. In my childhood, I heard the story of a naive chicken scared of the falling sky. I never imagined that few decades on, I would be treated to a modern adaptation of satellites malfunctioning over our heads because we haven't paid due homage to a petulant artefact.

Jeeves, I do honour your opinion. My post is my anguish at the fallout from our grade-oriented education system. I am only beginning to realise the extent now through social media.

To anyone reading this: please ensure that your kids grasp basic physics and maths. They don't even need doctoral courses to study the natural forces, just ensure that they don't hurriedly commit to memory rather imbibe the foundation principles in physics. Sit with them, and tutor them, and question them, 'those babas when they pull out red lemons, what chemical reaction is it'. From an early age, fascinate them with the writings of Feynman, Sagan, Zimmer, Greene, Bryson, Sacks and the like. They are animated writers explaining in lay terms the honest-to-goodness wonders of the natural world. Please, do it. We need more common sense than doctoral degrees to examine the natural world around us.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Anisu, nakshatra1, Mistt and 4 others like this.
  5. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

6. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation :)) I am grateful for your clarification too.

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Similar turbulence is equal to NASA proved power manifestation theory? : )

I reserve amazement for something bigger than similarity in pictures. Ancient architecture amazes me separately as does modern scientific progress.

Using some theories or arguments to support religious beliefs is one thing. Saying those are proved by NASA and linking religious beliefs to scientific finds and formal proofs is false representation.

About women entering sanctums -- this is my take:

Temples, worship, religion, beliefs are intensely personal matters. Agreed that some girls and women have been asking for the right to enter that temple, and went to court also. But, this particular belief is a "group belief". Meaning not following it means others also cannot follow it. A woman's right to enter the temple conflicts with those of many others who want/need to worship with no women around. In this case, the needs of the majority win. Since there is no undue difficulty experienced by women not allowed to enter the temple, it is fair enough. This is not a practice that is inhuman or meant to keep women at a lower level than men. There are religious beliefs that need to change, and those have been changing as awareness spreads. Some temples can be meant for one gender only.

I don't believe in the 'science' behind not allowing females to enter the Pooja room or temples during their periods. But, I respect the beliefs of other people in that matter, and hence follow it in group settings. If I don't follow it, I am interfering with the worship of others. Not right. In my own house, I have the right to follow it or not. In places where I am a visitor or places where people worship as a group, their right to follow the belief trumps my right to not follow it.

8. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

I apprec
    iate

9. Jeeves

Jeeves Silver IL'ite

I appre

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

With due respect to you @Jeeves ma'am,
    it is not true. I could not find any information stating this in NASA's web portal.

Satellites travel at tremendous speeds and any hurdle its way would only ricochet the vehicle off its orbit; the satellite would either fall down to Earth or spin off into space oblivion.

Also, if it affects satellites, should it also not affect airplanes, and birds flying over the region?

Second, the Hubble images you mention is Saturn's North pole which is hexagon in shape. However, many yantras in many other temples are also hexagons. So nothing unique about it.

nakshatra1, Rihana and PavithraS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.